Shampoo technique

vevster

A Domincan salon that I used to go to used a clarifying shampoo first to really clean the hair then a moisturizing one. Every wash. Does anyone use this technique?

I do this occasionally.
smile.gif
I have a slight dry scalp problem and that coupled with some product overload makes my scalp and hair flake. What I'll then do is use a clarifying/slightly antiseptic shampoo on first wash to get rid of buildup and flakes and then use my moisturizing shampoo. The products I use for that technique are Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampo (clarifying) and Giovanni's Magnetic Energizing Shampoo (moistuirzing). I also tend to "need" to do this more the closer to touch-up time I am.

OE

I did this when I was relaxed. I shampooed once a week and needed a clarifying shampoo to get rid of the product build up. My first lather was with Pantene clarifying shampoo (I'm sure there are better ones!) and the second lather was with a moisturizing shampoo.
Now I "clarify" a few times a month with sles (sodium laureth sulfate) shampoos like Salerm. Sles is strong enough to deep clean my hair now that I shampoo more often.

I don't do this at every wash (because I don't feel my hair needs a clarifying shampoo that often). However, whenever I use a clarifying shampoo I always follow it up with a moisturizing shampoo.
smile.gif

I use to strip my hair and never rewash with a moisturizing shampoo. But hey I do it to get rid of the product build up and then I want to add moisture again. Why not do it with freshly stripped hair-what could be better?

One of my friends does that. She uses suave green apple shampoo first then uses keracare moisturizing shampoo. She also adds a tablespoon of jojoba oil to the keracare shampoo. She is polynesian and black and her hair texture is about a 3b. Her hair is very shiny and almost to her butt. I guess the clarify shampoo really opens up the cuticle to absorb the shampoos moisture.
smile.gif

<font color="purple"> gvsugirl,

Clarifying shampoos remove buildup from styling aids, oils, enviormental buildup, like if you live in a busy city and even buildup from some shampoos and condtitions which can leave buildup (ie: Soft Sheen's breakthru shampoo). I use one every couple of weeks, they help my conditioner and moisturizer work better, my faves are Frederic Fekkai's Apple Cider Rinse which makes my hair feel like silk and L'anza's Deep Cleansing shampoo. Also buildup can cause breakage so yes for me clarifying shampoos are necessary. Hope this helps
smile.gif
</font>

Emerald Sky, I just used Soft Sheen's Break-Thru shampoo on Sunday. What kind of build-up does it leave? Do you use this shampoo? If so, do you use a clarifying shampoo first and then shampoo with the Break-Thru shampoo?

Also, does anyone know if V05 is a clarifying shampoo? It only costs $1.00.

yes, i recently started doing this. when i bought the Elasta QP Recovery, it came with a small bottle of their Bodifying shampoo shrink wrapped to it. so i decided to give it a whirl. this stuff is great! not only does it get all the gunk from the week off my hair, it does it without drying my hair out. also, since i've been using it, i can use way less of the other products that i use. so this is definitely a good thing to do. if i didn't use so much stuff on my hair when i wear the ponytail, this probably wouldn't be as necessary.

adrienne

missj, i think buildup is caused more from styling products used during the week than from a shampoo. most shampoos that are clarifiers say so specifically on the bottle because it's a strong selling point. they may not use the word clarifier though.

adrienne

<font color="purple"> I don't get buildup with most shampoos, but in my experience with detangling or conditioning shampoos I tend to get buildup I think from the extra softening and detangling ingredients.
A lot of women have had really good experiences with homemade apple cider rinses to remove buildup. If I'm using a clarifying rinse I shampoo first (regular shampoo) then use the rinse and condition as usual, otherwise with the deep cleansing shampoo I either lather twice and then condition or use a conditioning shampoo after the deep cleansing shampoo because it compensates for the dry feeling that some clarfiying shampoos leave, but really it just depends on which product I'm using and how my hair feels afterwards. Gosh my explanation is so long, I hope I have explained it well!</font>

as long as i have been on these sites you would think i would know some of these things by heart. but there are always variations of certain recipes that it is rather confusing on how to do what and how. i have never quite understood acv rinse. i understand what it is supposed to do but there are so many different variations i was never quite sure which one was the "correct one". people started off with ratios 1:4 some said a teaspoon to a tablespoon of acv to a cup of water. some said after shampoo some said as a final rinse after conditioner. so i was very quite sure as to what, how much, when so i just used cold water after i washed out my conditioner and called it a day.
ohwell.gif
look.gif
God bless you all.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
azul11 said:
as long as i have been on these sites you would think i would know some of these things by heart. but there are always variations of certain recipes that it is rather confusing on how to do what and how. i have never quite understood acv rinse. i understand what it is supposed to do but there are so many different variations i was never quite sure which one was the "correct one". people started off with ratios 1:4 some said a teaspoon to a tablespoon of acv to a cup of water. some said after shampoo some said as a final rinse after conditioner. so i was very quite sure as to what, how much, when so i just used cold water after i washed out my conditioner and called it a day.
ohwell.gif
look.gif
God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is definetly beneficial(I get great shine, stronger feeling hair)...but you have to play it by ear. I don't even measure anymore. I always use distilled water though. If I'm gonna follow it with a conditioner(or between application of shampoo), I use more. I do this most of the time. Every once in a while I'll do it as my final rinse...then a use just a hint(2 capfuls).

I was always a bit leery of trying it because I just didnt know the correct measurements. i remember one time i was trying to learn how to make a recipe and the person teaching me used no measuring cups they said they play it by eye. now i could do that IF i had a basic recipe and something to work with. i never really followed the recipe on the box on the pancake batter but when i first made it i looked on the back to see how much of what to use. i can do a food recipe by eye when i know the basics but not something on my hair. at least i know that it is around two capfuls. i am not too fond of the smell of acv nor do i want it to linger. if i do this as a final rinse do i put it on my head and go, put it on my head then rinse. if it is done after a shampoo wouldnt that close the cuticle and if you condition afterwards would the conditioner have a chance to penetrate. this is again why i never did this because i have so many questions and when some people describe this its like they pretty much know how to do it and only refer to minute steps involved but not the basic sense of it. i may have to go back in the archives of longhairlover and see if there is a detailed account of this because i am not quite clear on some things. God bless you all.

I do. I have an oily scalp and dry hair and I find this really makes sure that both of these needs are addressed when I wash. I use either a mositurizing or a strengthening shampoo after the clarifier.

Back