shampoo for Natural Hair

It should be ok. Low pH = acidic = best for our hair. Even better if you can find one with no sulfates. Are you looking at a particular brand?

Grocery Store Brands (Average pH = 5.95)

Dove Intense Moisture = 6.05
Fructis Moisture Works = 6.64
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration = 6.20
Tresemme Antibreakage = 5.40
White Rain Extra Body = 5.35
Yes To Carrots = 6.07

Salon Brands (Average pH = 6.14)

Matrix Amplify = 6.76
Redken All-Soft = 5.59
Samy Salon Systems Smooth and Shine = 6.08
(Source)

This is an interesting article to read and it offers some other moisturizing low pH shampoos.

I haven't used the Giovanni shampoo yet, but I'm in love with their conditioners. I heard their shampoo is really good (and it's sulfate free). Also, I love J/A/S/O/N aloe shampoo, and you can find it at most Wal-Marts.

I personally don't think there's a shampoo for relaxed hair or one for natural hair. I actually remember a friend of mine with very healthy natural hair telling me that she gets most of her good hair product recs from relaxed heads.

And if you think about it, since their hair is processed, it needs TLC and so chances are they use the best of what's out there. As long as it says moisturizing on the label, I am happy to use it.

Strangely enough, Creme of Nature that a lot of natural heads like is one shampoo I cannot stand. Leaves my hair feeling filmy and just in need of a shampoo. :barf:

Last edited:
Everything varies from person to person more so than on whether or not hair is natural or whether or not you are 4a/b or 3b/c. But my favorite shampoo thus far is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa. I have other brands but so far that's the one I like the most.

I really love Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo ($8.00 from curlmart)- cleans my hair and is moisturizing
Giovanni Tea Tree shampoo ($8.00 at Whole Foods)- cleans the hair without stripping and has a great tingle for the scalp.

I haven't used Trader Joes Nourish Spa shampoo, but I have heard great things about it and it is about $3 for a 16 oz bottle.

Back