Shampoo + Baking Soda=Fumes?

Nene

Yesterday, I decided to clarify using shampoo and baking soda. I've done so many times before, with good results. This time I used Dove shampoo. Within seconds my shower filled with what smelled like a combination of bleach and ammonia. The smell was so strong I started choking and my nose and eyes were stinging. I washed my hair several times with a different shampoo and deep conditioned. I am relaxed, so I'm waiting to see if my hair breaks off this week.

Has anyone else had any chemical interactions when mixing products?

I cannot remember whether or not I used shampoo when I used baking soda (probably did, but can't tell you what brand it was) but I can remember the smell that rose from process: it was the sort you get when your hair is being relaxed. Scared the heck out of me (I'm natural)!

Lye is alkaline as is baking soda and so I guess my hair cuticle was lifted and lawd know what "reaction" was taking place between products, but all I know is I didn't like it. In panic, I rinsed my hair and found it had become dull, very dry and rough. I wasn't using leave-in products or anything that could've led to build-up so clarifying was so unnecessary. Needless to say, I have never used baking soda on my hair again.

Thank you for your response. I don't think I'll be doing this again. My hair feels like how you described your hair. How soon was it before your hair seemed normal again?

It was almost immediate because I used an acidic shampoo right away, followed by conditioner and then ended the wash with an apple cider vinegar rinse. Acids help close the hair cuticle, leaving smooth strands that not only reflect light better but also that are less likely to tangle. Your hair feels that way only because the cuticle is raised by the alkalinity. Acidic shampoos/conditioners not only help close the cuticle but also help maintain hair elasticity. A pH between 3.0-3.5 is best. Any lower and the acidity could be damaging. Examples of acidic products are:

- Sunset Hair Elements Hair Repair (pH 3.5)
- Nexxus Ensure (pH 3.0)
- L'anza Chemical Balancer (pH 2.5) (professional use only)
- Paul Mitchell Seal and Shine (pH 3.0)
- Nexxus Epitome (pH3.0)
- Nexxus Emergencee (pH3.0)

But even if you're not sure of the pH of your shampoo, just shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo (not a clarifying one), then condition with your favorite conditioner and follow that with an ACV rinse. Your hair should feel tons better.

Here's an article that lets you know how the pH of your products affects your hair: http://www.salonweb.com/gold/pc.htm

Back