Sewn In Weave Tips

I use BSS hair--which comes in packs--not ounces.....so not sure. I'm thinking going with the higher quality hair which seems to be measure in ounces....

Ok. Thank you. If you get some, please let us know what you think, where you got it and how much you used....if you don't mind. :)

This is a good thread. I'm learning a lot!

model_chick717 said:
Question--how many ounces of the Indian remi hair is usually needed for a weave??

model chick, I emailed that indianhairs.com site and they responded with what I feel is an ignorant answer. I, too, would like to know how many ounces others are using for their entire head.

I am glad I saw this thread. There is so much great info here. I am sort of overwhelmed.

I am sort of slow too. You all say that you don't leave the edges out when you weave. Wouldn't the tracks show if you pull your hair back? I guess I am trying to visualize this. How can I weave without having to cut the tracks? Also how do you get the edges of the track to lay flat once you get to the end.

The other examples and pictures helped out tremendously. Thanks ladies!!

DSD, I must be slow too because I wondered that too, but forgot to ask....had too many other questions and can't keep up. :lol:

model_chick717 said:
I use BSS hair--which comes in packs--not ounces.....so not sure. I'm thinking going with the higher quality hair which seems to be measure in ounces....

One BSS pack is 4 ounces of hair.

CurlyCrly said:
model chick, I emailed that indianhairs.com site and they responded with what I feel is an ignorant answer. I, too, would like to know how many ounces others are using for their entire head.

What was their answer? How much you need depends on your head size and what look you are going for. When I use straight hair I almost never use more than one pack (4ounces) and if it is 10 inches long I dont even use the whole pack. I like very natural looking weaves so I'll never use alot of ounces. I believe Carmen mentioned before that she used 6 ounces for her curly Bliss hair pics in the album. Other have created styles with 8 ounces of Bliss hair so it really depends on how much volume you want your style to have.

I really want to get a sewn in weave but I don't know where to start. I don't know anyone who's had one can you ladies tell me where to start so I can be well on my way. :)

cutebajangirl said:
What was their answer? How much you need depends on your head size and what look you are going for. When I use straight hair I almost never use more than one pack (4ounces) and if it is 10 inches long I dont even use the whole pack. I like very natural looking weaves so I'll never use alot of ounces. I believe Carmen mentioned before that she used 6 ounces for her curly Bliss hair pics in the album. Other have created styles with 8 ounces of Bliss hair so it really depends on how much volume you want your style to have.

They basically said "we are manufacturers, not hairdressers or salon. so, please call a hairdresser or salon".

Ok, so maybe it wasn't so ignorant...they did say "please" :grin: ...but, even though they are manufacturers, I felt that they should be able to offer guidance of some sort...JMO. I asked "on average" how much hair for an entire head. I am sure that most of their customers are hairdressers or salons, but many people are starting to learn to do their own too.....so they need to be better salespeople and nurture that growing niche by being able to provide that information to us. We could be potential long-term customers and referrers of others.

I think that I read on the bliss website that it could take 7-8 oz. That's a starting point for me anyway.

Last edited:
I purchased 8 ounces(7 machine and 1 hand tied) of Bliss but only used about 6. The hair is very full as u can see and 8 ounces woulda had me looking like Chaki Khan :) ...PS If u are looking for straight hair I would try indianhairs.com. They are much cheaper than Bliss and the straight hair is about the same. Its the curly hair where Bliss quality is much better....

Im tryna remember the other questions... I know alot of people leave their edges out so the tracks dont show when the wind blows. I have found that if you put the tracks ALONG the hairline then tracks dont show. If u look in my fotki album the first 2 pics show the difference between track ALONG the hairline(1st pic) and tracks that all START AT the hairline (2nd pic). This concept is hard to explain. Thats the best I can do :) Leaving ur real hair out on the edges is the best way to cover tracks but I like braiding mine up cuz it helps protect them.

I normally try and get some assistance when doing the back tracks but I can do it myself w/o drawing blood. :lol: I just have to take my time and use double mirrors if necessary...

carmend said:
I purchased 8 ounces(7 machine and 1 hand tied) of Bliss but only used about 6. The hair is very full as u can see and 8 ounces woulda had me looking like Chaki Khan :) ...PS If u are looking for straight hair I would try indianhairs.com. They are much cheaper than Bliss and the straight hair is about the same. Its the curly hair where Bliss quality is much better....

Im tryna remember the other questions... I know alot of people leave their edges out so the tracks dont show when the wind blows. I have found that if you put the tracks ALONG the hairline then tracks dont show. If u look in my fotki album the first 2 pics show the difference between track ALONG the hairline(1st pic) and tracks that all START AT the hairline (2nd pic). This concept is hard to explain. Thats the best I can do :) Leaving ur real hair out on the edges is the best way to cover tracks but I like braiding mine up cuz it helps protect them.

I normally try and get some assistance when doing the back tracks but I can do it myself w/o drawing blood. :lol: I just have to take my time and use double mirrors if necessary...
By golly I thinks me got it!! So the track would wind up covering up the hairline unless the wind blows it!! I got it!! I got it! I got it!

I have found that if you put the tracks ALONG the hairline then tracks dont show. If u look in my fotki album the first 2 pics show the difference between track ALONG the hairline(1st pic) and tracks that all START AT the hairline (2nd pic).

I don't got it! I don't got it! :cry2: :cry2:

How come the tracks along the hairline (pic 1) don't show? Where are they? http://images7.fotki.com/v110/free/2f60d/2/278451/1911911/braidpattern-vi.jpg

It seems like they would show and the tracks at the start of the hairline (pic 2) would show too. :confused:

Which method would be best to not show tracks if one was not leaving hair out? And best if leaving hair out? I guess it is simply a preference too.

I think these may be the last of my questions. lol

carmend said:
I purchased 8 ounces(7 machine and 1 hand tied) of Bliss but only used about 6. The hair is very full as u can see and 8 ounces woulda had me looking like Chaki Khan :) ...

I had a hairdresser once put 12 ounces of hair on my head. :eek: I could barely move my head :lol: After coming home and cutting out 1/2 the tracks and thinning out the rest with a razor I was through with hairdressers. Especially with the going rate for curly hair I would start low and work my way up to save some money. Also my understanding is that Bliss is no longer taking internet orders to focus on long term local customers. Extensions-plus.com seems to have comparable quality hair. I plan on purchasing from them in a couple of months. HTH.

i use about 6 ouncesof hair for weaves. but please remember that the longer the hair on the weft..the shorter the weft will be for one oz of hair. length will take up some weight. 6 oz is good for 12-16''

i did a lady's weave today. her edges were left out so she could put her hair in a ponytail and also wear it down.

here are the pics [her hair on the top has been in a bun before these pics so it is kind of wavy still. it will blend better once she flat irons :)]

Attachments

• kate4.jpg
    kate4.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 43
  • kate2.jpg
    kate2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 33
  • kate3.jpg
    kate3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 27
  • kate5.jpg
    kate5.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 34
weaveitup said:
but please remember that the longer the hair on the weft..the shorter the weft will be for one oz of hair. length will take up some weight. 6 oz is good for 12-16''

That's a good point! I only want the 10" hair, so I guess 6 oz or maybe even 5 oz would be enough for my entire head. I wouldn't want a very full/thick weave.

PaperDoll said:
Quick question:

Anyone ever purchase hair from here before:
http://www.adorablehairdo.com

Can I get a review if so?

I went to the showroom and while I was there almost everyone that was there waiting to purchase new hair had some type of adorable hair in already. And every last one of them looked a mess. It was a hair less tangled than bss hair. I purchased some body wave for braiding and Kinky to relax myself for blending. Knowing about remi I wouldnt buy their hair for weaving it is rough and doesnt seem to hold up too well with time based on what I saw for the price. I bought the kinky because it truly is kinky not just tight curly and I have very coarse hair so the remi yaki versions I've seen wont be a good match for me texture wise.

I think Crystal ( I think that is her screenname here) has used it before and liked it. I myself am not good with styling etc so I like problem free hair hence I go with remi.

cutebajangirl said:
I went to the showroom and while I was there almost everyone that was there waiting to purchase new hair had some type of adorable hair in already. And every last one of them looked a mess. It was a hair less tangled than bss hair. I purchased some body wave for braiding and Kinky to relax myself for blending. Knowing about remi I wouldnt buy their hair for weaving it is rough and doesnt seem to hold up too well with time based on what I saw for the price. I bought the kinky because it truly is kinky not just tight curly and I have very coarse hair so the remi yaki versions I've seen wont be a good match for me texture wise.

I think Crystal ( I think that is her screenname here) has used it before and liked it. I myself am not good with styling etc so I like problem free hair hence I go with remi.

:lachen:
Thanks cutebajangirl for the heads up! :)

CurlyCrly said:
That's a good point! I only want the 10" hair, so I guess 6 oz or maybe even 5 oz would be enough for my entire head. I wouldn't want a very full/thick weave.

i think one pack should work well for you. and if not that...a pack and 1 weft from another pack.

weaveitup, do you mean one pack of the indianhairs.com hair? I thought it came in 16 oz packages?

Someone mentioned extensions plus, so I went there to look.
What do you all think of this product? http://extensions-plus.com/rt.html
It's supposed to resemble relaxed hair and they say there is a specially designed weft closure to help hide the weft, but they are pricey. How many oz is 50 grams?

Ready Made Products - Relaxed Texture

Our unique processing designed to replicate relaxed and permed straight hair. Ideal for a more natural look without swelling or tangling.
Featured in 2 styles: Bulk and Machine wefted.
Color rings are available for purchase.
Exceptional lifespan on hair.

Weft Closures
If you are having trouble concealing the top of your weave, look no further. The specially designed weft closures are created to complete a weave and create a natural part. By using a skin top base, the closure is able to mimic the scalp.

weaveitup said:
indianhairs.com sells by the lb, but when you receive that lb it is hair divided into four (4oz) bags.

ohhhhhh.....that's wonderful! I will have enough to do my entire head a couple of times with fresh hair then. Thank you!

you wont need new hair for each new weave. thats the whole point of getting indian remi. if you use only one pack(which lasts a year or more with proper care)at a time, then you will have enough hair for about 4 years. get it? this is why indian remi hair costs so much

Last edited:
Back