Sew-ins: Braiding the hair back instead of across

Freespirit02

Hey yall! My friend was telling me that a sew-in comes out better if you cornrow your hair back instead of across. Mainly because it comes out flatter and you don't have that "hump" on the top. Has anyone tried this? I will be doing my sew-in today, trying this technic..hope it works out well..:look:

I've recently learned a lot of people are do it this way. When mine was done she still sewed it across and even sewed the track parallel to the braids on either side of my head to secure.

Having the hair braided straight back allows you to place the closure anywhere you choose if wearing one. You can also start to sew the beehive wherever you choose if you're closing that way.

My very first sew in was done this way and I got many compliments.

When I used to wear tracks, I used to braid them back because it was much flatter.
Also, I found that there's less tension on the hair when sewing it in.

I've had it done that way several times. I like it because it's usually faster for the braider and less pain for me. I have never noticed if the tracks laid flattr though.

My stylist has several braid patterns, but the braids usually go backwards. The weave always lays extremely flat.

I agree with all the comments about the hair lying flatter!

I would also like to add:
1. easier to wash. I like the idea of water running down between cornrows. I'm afraid of getting shampoo just sits on top of a cornrows that are braided across (not sure if that makes sense)

2. "Touch-up" - For me, the side braids tend to get loose...between installs, I can redo these braids as needed without taking down my entire head (not the case with a the "s" or across pattern)

The only downfall (in my experience) if you use growth aids and getting to your scalp. Much easier with across cornrows! If you use growth aids much sure you get a bottle with a pointed end!

I braid back and sew the ends up into the middle of my head, with the exception of the 2 side braids. I take those down to tighten.

This is the only way I do a clients hair. Less bulk and it looks more like their own natural hair this way.

Back