Setback - something may have gone wrong

ilong

God's Own
So I've been observing my hair for the past month or so and I noticed that I have a lot of little short hairs!!!:perplexed
I keep my hair braided and use wigs for protective styling. My braids are very fuzzy ( if you know what I meand) due to the short hairs.
It isn't heat damage because I've only used heat twice on my hair in the past year. I don't manipulate my hair much (once a week - take down). I haven't had my split ends trimmed since May - but I can't believe I have a head full of split ends. I don't comb out or have a lot of hair shed when I do manipulate my hair. In fact it is very late.

When I take my hair down - it is still very thick - As a matter of fact when I took my braids out Wednesday to wash/condition it - my daughter remarked on how much thicker it had gottern. So itt doesn't appear to be thin - but what I am experiencing could be early signs.
But I should see some evidence of shedded or breaking hair somewhere and I don't.
I am doing a lot of prayerful and wishful thinking that these little hairs are new growth. :blush:

What I'm thinking to do is cut back on products (including growth aids) I use in my hair and go back to basics. I've been using MN in a sulfur mix - so I may eliminate that for a bit. I also used all of cantu shea butter and started to use shea moisture products. I did experience some dryness and brittleness because I stopped using water to moisturize and baggying but I only had one occasion in January where I shedded some hair (not a lot) while combing out and shampooing. I think I will buy some more cantu and stop using the shea moisture products.

Any other suggestions or ideas are requested and welcomed. :yep:

I'm probably the last person you want to hear from, seeing that this is my FIRST post after lurking for YEARS... but I will add my two cents :)

You said you keep your hair braided... are you braiding it too tight? Are you braiding it in the same pattern?

If so, you may be adding too much tension to certain areas of your hair, causing it to break off.

Do you have a pic of the little short hairs? That would help determine how "bad" the situation is.

Where are your short hairs located? You mentioned you wear wigs, are they on the very top of your head?

I also wear wigs 24/7 & noticed short hairs at the top. I finally realized that the stocking cap was snatching strands when I removed it daily. So I decided to cut out a square in a silk slip & place it on my head 1st before putting on the cap. It reduced the friction & breakage.

@SiaMeze - Wow - you have been lurking for a while with a 2009 join date:yep:. Regardless, I am honored that you "cam out of lurking" to respond to my post.

Oh contraire - I am very glad to hear from you or anyone else with suggestions on what could be happening with my hair. So thank you very much for responding. Regarding, my braids, no I change the braid pattern and I don't braid tight at all- so I I'm not putting a lot of tension of my hair with the braiding.

pre_medicalrulze - yes the short hairs are on top of my head and my braids are fuzzy also !!! I think you may be right - the stocking cap could very well be the culprit. It is probably rubbing against not only the top of my head but the braids also.

Thank you very much for the silk suggestion. I have some silk fabric that I can use to create some sort of hair protection.

Something tells me I will have to "weave it up".

I think this is a major set-back - my hair looks terrible.:sad:
:help2:

I just tried to take some pictures. I will try to post them so you can see this terrible damage!:cry2:

Last edited:
OK - here are some pics. Sorry I am not very good at taking pics with my new phone.
I took two pics of the braids and how they look (fuzzy like a peach :sad:)
I also took pics to show that my hair isn't thin (yet??:perplexed) There is one pic of a braid from my left side and another from a braid on my right side.
In addition to the 2 loose braids - I have 6 braids remaining.
My hair is in natural state - no relaxer- texlaxer-blow dry or heat on it.

Attachments

• 2 23 Bad Hair1.jpg
    2 23 Bad Hair1.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2 23 Bad Hair3.jpg
    2 23 Bad Hair3.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 2 23 group 2 hair pics 003.jpg
    2 23 group 2 hair pics 003.jpg
    583.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 2 23 group 2 hair pics 004.jpg
    2 23 group 2 hair pics 004.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 2 23 group 2 hair pics 006.jpg
    2 23 group 2 hair pics 006.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 55
ilong,

I don't think its as bad as it sounds. I would try the silk fabric and see what happens. It just sounds like friction.

We are here to help you fix this!!!

Lovingmywaves12 - thank you so much. You are a sweetie!
I know all of you ladies at LHCF always help as much as possible and will steer me in the right direction.

I will not give the devil victory. I am going to use this "situation" as a leap board to my goal. I can and will do it . I just can't look at my braids. :perplexed

@ilong, thanks for your kind words. :yawn:

I agree with @Lovingmywaves12. I don't think it's that bad, but definitely watch out for the fabric and stocking cap.

ilong
I would definitely agree with @
pre_medicalrulz and Lovingmywaves12 notion that friction is causing the little hairs. I am also an avid wig wearer and I use a men's silk du-rag in place of the stocking cap to avoid having my hair dry out or break from the friction. (I am always first to grab the du-rag simply b/c I'm too lazy to cut out a silk piece of fabric to line the stocking cap with :lachen:....I am truly BEYOND lazy sometimes...smdh)

Back