Setback?? (Shedding and splits)

yuhlovevybz

So my hair was doing great, but the last month I noticed something was wrong - shedding. Tons of it. I hadn't changed anything with my regimen, so I really can't put together why this would happen. I would think it was stress, but it doesn't add up. BEFORE the shedding, I had been going through a bout of extreme depression and some serious emotional deteriorating. I would have thought my hair would be shedding then. It was only after I recovered from it that I would start to notice, running my fingers through my hair, tons would come out. My hair has always been thick, and now its starting to look thin. This is depressing because my hair FINALLY starting getting healthy after bootcamp. Now its getting back to how it was before.

Also, my splits will NOT go away. I trim very often, and as soon as the next day I'll see more splits. I rarely wear my hair down, when I do I seal the ends in coconut oil. Otherwise I wear a sock bun. My is now long enough to fit the spongy/wirey bun form that the sell in the chinese store instead of the actual sock I used to use. Could this have something to do with it?

I take fish oil almost religiously, and I stopped taking iron because it upset my stomach so I figure I'm not anemic anymore or I'd tolerate it better. I haven't been working out as often as I'd like because of work. Still, I've lived like this before and it never had my hair shedding as bad as its been. I washed today and had a handful of kinks, it was disgusting. I'm getting scared, not only for my hair but for my health. :sad:

belldandy No medications. I was on birth control back in the summer and stopped using in this fall/winter. I'm working on my diet, but for now I try to get in veggies, eat lots of fruit and don't eat a lot of fast food. I do drink a lot of coffee, though. I stick to fish, chicken and turkey, I don't eat a lot of red meat or pork.

Are you cutting with good enough scissors? If your scissors are not sharp enough or good enough you can just create more breakage because it may not cut the strands bluntly enough.

P.s. congrats on recovering!

I wonder if the birth control has something to do with it? My sister's step daughter experienced something similar when she was taking a particular brand of birth control, the name slips my mind but anyway, she took it for a while, then stopped and her hair started shedding like hayle. She had thick hair so her shedding was not that noticeable but certainly enough to render a freak out moment.

I don't know OP, I wish I could offer more sound advice. There are so many trials and tribulations with hair, it's sometimes difficult to isolate the problem. Let me throw out a few questions though. Have you changed your regional location recently? Is there a possibility that you went from soft to hard water?

One thing I would do is get rid of that spongy hair bun. All that crap made in China.........no telling what goes into making that stuff. The standards in China are sub par!

Some please correct me if I'm wrong but I think when your stressed the shedding is somewhat delayed. It doesn't happen like the next day.

Sending a prayer up for you though

The shedding is coming from the stress that you were experiencing. The symptoms don't always come right away. They usually come after you've been stressed out for a while, or after it goes away.

That's your body's way of being able to deal with stress. It keeps you strong enough to deal with it while you're going through it.

@yuhlovevybz

with bc i've heard this can happen. iron deficiency will also make you shed, go to your nearest health food store and get iron supplement thats more gentle on the tummy. floradix would be a good one, you probably can get it from vitacost.com

most ppl don't even realize that traditional iron supplements are toxic and made from rusty railroads tracks and such. its also constipates which is also a no-go.

the forgotten foods.com and dhealthstore.com also have natural whole food based iron supplements as well.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! I'll look into that iron. I had no idea my supplements may be toxic. :nono:

No idea what to do about the bc and stress. I feel better now so will I just have to wait the shedding out? And I don't plan on getting back on bc anytime soon, I only used it to keep my monthly in check but it hasn't been as bad as it used to be so I'd rather not put those extra hormones in my body if not needed.

Back