Setback, but it was for the best.

Christelyn

Well, I finally broke down and cut a good chunk of my ends off. I had to. The breakage was getting ridiculous. I've been using all these really good Rene Furterer products and my hair was looking healthy, but the ends were ghastly and just continued to break, break, break. Worse, the split ends were moving up the shaft and inhibiting the manifestation of growth--I was totally defeating the purpose. :wallbash: So...I took out my scissors yesterday and got busy cutting all those brittle, dead ends. Some parts of my hair are pretty short, especially around the crown. Intellectually, I know this for the head. In fact, my hardheadedness has probably cost me a lot of length.

Moving forward, I feel a lot better about my regimen. I know for sure that I won't be APL by December like I'd hoped, but here's what I've learned:

A. I am washing my hair way too much. I read that doctors attribute an increase of split ends in dry hair to frequent washing. Because I have a itchy scalp and can't keep my hands out of my hair, I wash twice a week. I now am only going to wash once a week.

B. Absolutely no heat. Now that I've learned how to do roller sets, which allows my hair to have a somewhat straight look without using heat, that's what I'm going to do from now on unless I'm doing twist/braidouts.

C. I will wear more buns and protective styles to preserve my now healthy ends.

D. This is where YOU come in. I'm looking for other suggestions from my LHCF sisters on this one. Comments?

Please post your pics we want to see the cut. I have idry tchy scalp and sometimes I wash my hair twice a week. I guess I do it because my hair gets dry and I feel I need to deep condition it and add oil.

What I have been doing lately is getting a color applicator bottle and put olive oil in it and apply straight to my scalp and rub in. My scalp feels soothed and my hair gets moisture. I think I put heat in my hair maybe 3times a month and I am now "dusting" my ends as needed.
Something new I discovered is that my shedded hair was tangling with the rest of my hair causing breakage. So everynight I comb my hair through and rid my hair of sheds and put my hair in flexi-rods when my hair is dry. In the morning I finger comb my hair, I have reduced the amount of breaks tremendously. If you need protective styles see my fotki. Good luck

Last edited:
Very brave choice! I'm sure your hair thanks you! I don't know where my smiles are, but you deserve a thumbs up!!

A few things that I noticed in your post "I am washing my hair way too much. ...doctors attribute an increase of split ends in dry hair to frequent washing." Do you suffer from dry hair? What products are you using? Do you co-wash? I realize that all heads are different, but I wash about 3 times a week with much success because I maintain that moisture protiein balance.

I only use heat once every few months when I treat myself to a salon visit. So I'm all about no heat. Do you use heat when you DC? How often do you DC and what products? I think if you post your regimen some of the vets might offer you some suggestions.

Well, I finally broke down and cut a good chunk of my ends off. I had to. The breakage was getting ridiculous. I've been using all these really good Rene Furterer products and my hair was looking healthy, but the ends were ghastly and just continued to break, break, break. Worse, the split ends were moving up the shaft and inhibiting the manifestation of growth--I was totally defeating the purpose. :wallbash: So...I took out my scissors yesterday and got busy cutting all those brittle, dead ends. Some parts of my hair are pretty short, especially around the crown. Intellectually, I know this for the head. In fact, my hardheadedness has probably cost me a lot of length.

Moving forward, I feel a lot better about my regimen. I know for sure that I won't be APL by December like I'd hoped, but here's what I've learned:

A. I am washing my hair way too much. I read that doctors attribute an increase of split ends in dry hair to frequent washing. Because I have a itchy scalp and can't keep my hands out of my hair, I wash twice a week. I now am only going to wash once a week.

B. Absolutely no heat. Now that I've learned how to do roller sets, which allows my hair to have a somewhat straight look without using heat, that's what I'm going to do from now on unless I'm doing twist/braidouts.

D. This is where YOU come in. I'm looking for other suggestions from my LHCF sisters on this one. Comments?

Sorry, i dont have much advice at this time, but i wondered where you got this information - do u have a link?

Please post your pics we want to see.

I could post a pic, but I have it in a bun now--you wouldn't be able to tell much about the length. But here's a mental picture: the hair on the back of my head is about 7-7.5 inches. The sides are about the same. The crown and middle are between 5-6.5 inches--totally uneven, but easily disguised in a bun. If you'd like to see the bun, I'll post it.

Your plan sounds good...it's similar to what I do, i.e. once-a-week washing, no direct heat, rollersets, twistouts, etc. I would add moisturizing your ends once or twice daily. I hope your hair grows back quickly.

here's a picture of the bun I'm going to be sporting for the near (and probably far) future. The roller set adds a lot of volume so I didn't need to use a sock or anything. I'm just using a scrunchi and bobby pins.

Attachments

• Photo 44.jpg
    Photo 44.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 21
Sorry to hear your troubles. However, the most important thing about a setback is learning from it, and (trying) to ensure that you don't repeat the same mistakes. At least you have taken something from it. :)

I think it's fine to wash your hair frequently as long as you're not always using shampoo. I usually wash my hair 1x per week but I add peppermint oil to my deep conditioner (stimulates my scalp and helps with the itchies). That usually carries me for a week but when I'm working out I do more frequent conditioner washes because the salt from sweating dries out my hair & scalp. I just make sure to moisturize/seal with oil morning & night. When braiding my hair for a braid out, I always saturate the last 2 inches of my ends with ORS olive oil creme in the evening and my ends stay nice and moisturzed the next day. That has eliminated my ends having breakage.

I think it's fine to wash your hair frequently as long as you're not always using shampoo. I usually wash my hair 1x per week but I add peppermint oil to my deep conditioner (stimulates my scalp and helps with the itchies). That usually carries me for a week but when I'm working out I do more frequent conditioner washes because the salt from sweating dries out my hair & scalp. I just make sure to moisturize/seal with oil morning & night. When braiding my hair for a braid out, I always saturate the last 2 inches of my ends with ORS olive oil creme in the evening and my ends stay nice and moisturzed the next day. That has eliminated my ends having breakage.

Thanks for the info. You hair type sounds a lot like mine (4 a/b fine); except I'm not texlaxed, just natural.

Back