Serious Question on Braids and Relaxing

cocoberry10

Dear Ladies:

I have a serious question about Braids and relaxing. I have not had a relaxer since March (18 weeks to be exact). I would like to get braids in about 3 weeks, but am not sure whether I should lighlty relax this weekend (to soften my hair), or just stretch another few weeks and then put braids in. I am not going natural (at least that's not the plan), but I would like to give my hair a break. I am somewhat concerned about the difference in textures. When I take the braids out in 2-3 months, I plan to relax about two weeks after (I know they say don't relax right away).

So, my question is... Should I lightly relax my roots to soften them, or should I keep the rough stuff and put the braids in? Thanks for any advice.

Cocoberry

I would advise you to not relax. I always had bad experiences when my hair was relaxed prior to braiding. I just blowdry and that smooths it a little.

nubianqt86 said:
I would advise you to not relax. I always had bad experiences when my hair was relaxed prior to braiding. I just blowdry and that smooths it a little.

DITTO. Don't relax . . .

As a braid queen, i must tell you, don't relax.

Good braiding hides the texture anyway.

I got my hair braided this past weekend and there was a girl there with all natural 4 a/b hair. She got semi medium micros with wet and wavy hair. It looked so good on her - no relaxing or pressing needed.

nubianqt86 said:

IMHO any good braider will wash and deep condition your hair before getting started. If they have you to do it before you get there, they should be fine braiding w/ 2 textures, again, if they are a good braider. I am a braider myself, and that's what I do.I wouldn't perm b4 braiding. Depending on the stylist, it may cause more dmg then help.

i remember my hairdresser telling a lady not to relax right before braiding because the hair is just going to break off.

I am co signing on not relaxing your hair before braids I used to do it all the time and it was not worth it at all. Just deep condition and moisturize your hair the night before getting your hair done

Last edited:
Most definitely do not relax. Why don't you do a warm press just to look straight. My beautician does that all the time when I get braids and it turns out great. The press will make your hair look like you have a relaxer. It definitely made my hair look like and everyone thought that I had a relaxer and I told them that I didn't. So, definitely don't do the relaxer.

http://public.fotki.com/leontyneb

password: jesus

Attachments

• Leontyne.jpg
    Leontyne.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Back