Serious Problem

sashaa

I need help!! I have natural 4a/b hair and for some reason every time I get my ends trimmed my hair does fine, but low and behold it continues to get split ends! I do not wear my hair. I keep it braided and wigs or weaves in so it can not be a heat situation...I just dont know why my ends are always frizzy and split as well as knot constantly! I use glycerin for moisture, thought that would help- it didnt. Anybody else had this problem and know how to fix it?

Last edited:
Are the scissors your stylist is using sharp? If you get your hair cut with dull scissors, it actually encourages splits to form.

Also, is glycerin all you are using for moisture? I'd suspect that your hair needs a lot more moisture than just that.....

I have chronic split ends. I always have had that problem, my hair is really fragile. The only thing I can say is stop trimming and only spot trim, go through the hair and just snip the splits. Then every single morning and evening moisturize those ends and slather them with oils or butters. Keep them moist and sealed. Castor Oil is a good one.

Then continue to treat the rest of the hair like silk. Also check your hair for knots, the knots were splitting my hair.

it could be the way the person is cutting your ends too, when i had this maniac cut my ends he cut into my hair but was jacking up my ends, you won't know that you have a bad cut or trim until a few weeks later and it starts growing back in.

and like justkiya said the scissors may not be sharp this is very important as well as his/her technique.

this is normally the case from my experiences with trims.

Well my hair is really fragile as well, at least when I was perming it was...I use glycerin, moisture max, castor oil, grapeseed, and jojoba. If I actually wanted to wear my natural/pressed hair, how could I if I have so much oil in it and it looks greasy? Not to mention my ends are constantly frizzy....

my hair does knot. single strand knots, the weirdest thing! It did not do that when I was relaxed...how do I stop that? I am seriously contemplating texlaxing, if I can find someone who knows what in the world I am talking about when I say that word...Heck I am not sure I can even explain it myself, other than dont leave the relaxer on the whole time....

Well my hair is really fragile as well, at least when I was perming it was...I use glycerin, moisture max, castor oil, grapeseed, and jojoba. If I actually wanted to wear my natural/pressed hair, how could I if I have so much oil in it and it looks greasy? Not to mention my ends are constantly frizzy....

That's all you use? Most of those are oils, and aren't going to do a thing to moisture your hair. I don't know what's in Moisture max, so I can't speak on that - but what do you DC with? Frizziness, and lots of knots, and splitting? I'd suspect that you need moisture, and lots of it. Have you tried steaming?

omg.. yes.. this is my main concern as a 4a/b i have recently been consistent with my spot trimming.. i say in the mirrior last night and searched for splits.. and then used my canta leave-in on the ends and sealed with oil.. so far it helps .. and i noticed more of my ends are together rather then split .. also. i cut the tiny knots and bent ends cause eventually those will also break. OHHHH and in our hair or at least mines.. some strands i noticed have the bursted strand .. like one time i cut one strand i spotted and it split right where i cut it.. so i had to cut a lil higher because i could see the strand was splitting up the middle of the shaft.. shaking my head.. no wonder i had splits with in a week or so.. i hope this helps... and you may want to try the baggy method

I would replace the moisture max with a higher quality creamy leave-in such as Oyin's Shine & Define - gentle styling serum, Redken Butter Treat, African Royale's Miracle Oil Moisturizer M.O.M., shea butter, or some other kind of butter.

I had this problem when I first found this oasis. What has helped me is baggying and lots of it. I would use glycerin mixed with distilled water and aloe. That was one baggying mix. I'd also do coconut milk mixed with honey(sometimes I'd sub with olive oil), very moisturizing and makes the hair stronger. I assume it's the light protein of the coconut milk PLUS coconut has moisturizing properties. The honey is a natural humectant, can't go wrong there. Then always seal in moisture. I personally would spray my hair with the aloe/glycerin/distilled water mix and seal with olive oil. I don't baggy as much as I used to, I water my head daily now and my ends look wonderful. I can comb my hair to the ends with no problem. Give it a try, it can't hurt. Also the scissor theory, they're right. Dull scissors are a no no :nono:.

ok ladies thanks so much for the suggestions...let me ask one last question. With all the sealing using butters, oils and other moisture leave ins....do you even attempt to wear your hair flat ironed? if so how do you manage that with all of the product in it??

When I flat-iron I still use my s-curl and a creamy/buttery leave in, but I go a little lighter on the oil. When I get it done professionally they don't hardly use anything and it comes out beautifully though.

Back