Serious Dry Scalp Issues

GraceJones

I used to use WGO about every other day but I've since stopped. Now I use either jojoba oil or sweet almond oil.

I'm natural 4b. I wear cornrows under a wig but I wash either every week or every other week using design essentials honey shampoo and DC with design essentials super moisturizing conditioner or the almond conditioner ( forgot the exact name).

Hi! Just a thought but have you tested other shampoos? I absolutely adore the DE Honey shampoo for my hair but I noticed that my scalp was drier and itchier after using it. My shedding also increased after each use. I will continue to test other possible culprits but it happens each time I use this poo. If you have any other tried and true shampoos, give DE Honey a break and see if it makes a difference. Hope that helps!

Hi! Just a thought but have you tested other shampoos? I absolutely adore the DE Honey shampoo for my hair but I noticed that my scalp was drier and itchier after using it. My shedding also increased after each use. I will continue to test other possible culprits but it happens each time I use this poo. If you have any other tried and true shampoos, give DE Honey a break and see if it makes a difference. Hope that helps!
What other shampoos do you like?

Why don’t you use a shampoo that’s geared toward soothing a troubled scalp? I buy Millcreek Botanicals Tea Tree Calming Formula for my husband. It has tea tree, calendula, witch hazel, aloe vera and a bunch of other soothing herbs.

Also, are you taking breaks regularly from wearing wigs and allowing your scalp to breathe? Your scalp needs oxygen/airflow. Constantly keeping your scalp smothered under a wig and wig cap will lead to problems.

Last edited:
I love that shampoo, but it is a depositing shampoo (moisture) so after awhile, the scalp and hair need to be clarified. I would use the Oat protein shampoo first, then the Honey.

Yeah I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo 1x a week. I don't moisturize my hair during the week, unfortunately. I need to buy a braid spray or something for my cornrows under the wig.
That’s too much I would clarify once or twice a month depending on how heavy you are with products. Also I would use a scalp calming shampoo like @Theresamonet suggested. If that doesn’t help, it’s time to see a doctor. After all I experienced with my hair and scalp, I don’t play anymore.

Have you looked into Curls Blueberry and Mint Tea Scalp Treatment?

My scalp was dry, itchy, and inflamed from the winter being so dry. I bought it out of desperation, and it was worked so well for me. I put it on my scalp after air drying and massage it in. It's helped me a lot, I got it from Target for $11.99.

Why don’t you use a shampoo that’s geared toward soothing a troubled scalp? I buy Millcreek Botanicals Tea Tea Calming Formula for my husband. It has tea tree, calendula, witch hazel, aloe vera and a bunch of other soothing herbs.

Also, are you taking breaks regularly from wearing wigs and allowing your scalp to breathe? Your scalp needs oxygen/airflow. Constantly keeping your scalp smothered under a wig and wig cap will lead to problems.
I just don't know what to do with it most times. I'm was in box braids from like Aug to Jan.

I just feel like I need length so I always have some sort of extensions in.

Have you looked into Curls Blueberry and Mint Tea Scalp Treatment?
My scalp was dry, itchy, and inflamed from the winter being so dry. I bought it out of desperation, and it was worked so well for me. I put it on my scalp after air drying and massage it in. It's helped me a lot, I got it from Target for $11.99.
@GraceJones
This!:up: Totally Agree with @nerdography :yep:

It's excellent for Dry & Itchy Scalp. Love This!:love:

And I think once a week is too much for Clarifying (too stripping).

Maybe you could use a Cleansing Conditioner in-between time.

ETA: This has a dropper bottle so you can in-between your Braids.

Could be a nutritional deficiency (zinc). But don't supplement unless you get your blood tested and it shows deficiency. I only take half my zinc pill because they put too mugh zinc in them (2x or more of the RDA sometimes. I'm like "why?"). You don't want to overdo the zinc.

I'll take recommendations for a moisturizing shampoo too. I like ORS creamy aloe but I don't know if I should use every week
I love the Elucense brand shampoos (both moisture and clarifying). The ingredients are better than most and they consistently make both my hair and scalp feel great. I try a lot of products but these have been go to’s for years.

I also agree with first trying to treat your scalp. Either a shampoo or treatment works but I would go for the treatment since it stays on your scalp longer and has a chance to sink in.

I love the Elucense brand shampoos (both moisture and clarifying). The ingredients are better than most and they consistently make both my hair and scalp feel great. I try a lot of products but these have been go to’s for years.

I also agree with first trying to treat your scalp. Either a shampoo or treatment works but I would go for the treatment since it stays on your scalp longer and has a chance to sink in.
I'm gonna try the treatment mentioned above but I would love more rec's

Could be a nutritional deficiency (zinc). But don't supplement unless you get your blood tested and it shows deficiency. I only take half my zinc pill because they put too mugh zinc in them (2x or more of the RDA sometimes. I'm like "why?"). You don't want to overdo the zinc.
I already take Zinc for other reasons

I'm about to make the order now. Here's what I'm gonna get

African Royale Braid and Extensions Sheen Spray - 8oz (or maybe I should just use water in a spray bottle?)
Curls Blueberry Mint Tea Scalp Treatment - 4 fl oz
Millcreek Botanicals Tea Tree Calming Formula
Elucense brand shampoo

I'm side eyeing the braid spray because IDK if I should get it

OK update

I've been using the blueberry treatment mentioned upthread. I use it 1x a day. I also used the tea tree shampoo this week when I was in braids.

I'm away from my house this week so I had to pick up some stuff from the store to use instead.

I washed with As I Am Long and Luxe shampoo. Then I DCed with Alina Naturals Honey and Sage DC on one side and on the other.

My hair is really dry also so I'm trying to experiment with different DCs. They changed the formula for my design essentials super moisturizing conditioner so I'm trying to find a replacement.

Then I tried to stretch my hair using the banding method. I used Taliah Waajid intense moisture strengthing leave in conditioner. I try to stretch my hair as well as possible for my braider. I did not get a good stretch lol. I usually blow dry on medium low but I'm trying to find a new methods for a stretch.

I got it braided this afternoon and my braider said my scalp is very dry. I looked at it again tonight and it still looks dry. I know it's not my water intake because I drink at least 1 gallon of water as I'm very active.

Back