Serial Dc'er

Tafa01

I have become obsessed!! Every time I see a gorgeous sister with thirsty, dry and crunchy looking hair, I just want to grab her, tie her down, DC her hair and send her her way :drunk:
80% of the BW I see have hair like that :sad:
I used to not pay attention to that (thougt it was "normal"), but since I have been a member here I can't help but notice.
Thank God I live in Seattle and they are not that many BW here or I would be depressed lol.

I have become obsessed!! Every time I see a gorgeous sister with thirsty, dry and crunchy looking hair, I just want to grab her, tie her down, DC her hair and send her her way :drunk:
80% of the BW I see have hair like that :sad:
I used to not pay attention to that (thougt it was "normal"), but since I have been a member here I can't help but notice.
Thank God I live in Seattle and they are not that many BW here or I would be depressed lol.

What does BW stand for? Black women? :perplexed For some people, it is "normal" to have "crunchy-looking" hair. My texture is very deceiving b/c I DC at least twice a week and its soft as all get out but it doesn't look it. I love it!:drunk:

Miseducation and Misinformation. And alot of Us Just Don't know what to do with Our Hair. We've never been properly educated.:look:

And now the whole misconception in our community is to "rely" on Weaves, and fake Hair.

Straighteners i.e. tools Too Hot & Too Strong i.e. chemicals (in general).:blush:

We use the Wrong Products with Bad Ingredients because that's what is 'pushed' in our communities and available on our shelves.

Oftentimes our stylist don't know better either. Not properly taught. And Just Think the Cirriculum that was probably developed Nationally in Cosmetology Schools was developed by White People on How to Care For Black Hair. So, they are even at a disadvantage of "not knowing what to do":nono:

It's sad. But look at how Enlightened we've all become Here.

So, it's our duty to either help and or pray for them.:yep:

Last edited:
I'm guilty of seeing some heads of hair, and just wishing they were members here. I have a friend who I think would be able to grow her hair out with a good moisturizing conditioner and a heat cap, but unsolicited advice isn't my thing...at least with hair.

What does BW stand for? Black women? :perplexed For some people, it is "normal" to have "crunchy-looking" hair. My texture is very deceiving b/c I DC at least twice a week and its soft as all get out but it doesn't look it. I love it!:drunk:
yes BW means black women.
I know some people have crunchy looking hair when in fact it is super soft and moisturized. What I meant is I thought it was normal to actually HAVE dry hair. I thought that is what it is, there is nothing that can be done about it. I spent tons of money buying products like pink oil. In my mind they were supposed to help, and since they did not, nothing could be done. I had no clue about the ingredients, etc.

Miseducation and Misinformation. And alot of Us Just Don't know what to do with Our Hair. We've never been properly educated.:look:

And now the whole misconception in our community is to "rely" on Weaves, and fake Hair.

Straighters Too Hot & Too Strong (in general).:blush:

We use the Wrong Products with Bad Ingredients because that's what is 'pushed' in our communities and available on our shelves.

Oftentimes our stylist don't know better either. Not properly taught. And Just Think the Cirriculum that was probably developed Nationally in Cosmetology Schools was developed by White People on How to Care For Black Hair. So, they are even at a disadvantage of "not knowing what to do":nono:

It's sad. But look at how Enlightened we've all become Here.

So, it's our duty to either help and or pray for them.:yep:

You are 100% right. I am soooooo thankfull for this board! My daughter is going to have beautiful hair, as well as my grandkids, etc. Because I am teaching her while I am learning (she is 7), she is not going to make the same mistakes.
My mom and sister don't want to listen so far. maybe when my hair is healthy and down my back they will :yep:

I'm guilty of seeing some heads of hair, and just wishing they were members here. I have a friend who I think would be able to grow her hair out with a good moisturizing conditioner and a heat cap, but unsolicited advice isn't my thing...at least with hair.

it is hard not to say anything!! But I am totally with you, I don't offer unsolicited advice (unless it is my family members)

yes BW means black women.
I know some people have crunchy looking hair when in fact it is super soft and moisturized. What I meant is I thought it was normal to actually HAVE dry hair. I thought that is what it is, there is nothing that can be done about it. I spent tons of money buying products like pink oil. In my mind they were supposed to help, and since they did not, nothing could be done. I had no clue about the ingredients, etc.

Oh yea, been there done that. Pink oil was my mom's staple. My regimen now would look so foreign to me and or my family 15 years ago! :wallbash:

I am obsessed with DC... I even asked my sister if I could do her hair when she come to visit...but she thinks I am so obsessed with hair that she told me that she's not going to let me do her hair and join my cult. LOL. she's hilarious.
I think alot of black women want to have nice hair, but don't have the information or knowledge to do it. most people just know what we have been told all along...wash every 2 weeks, pink oil, you have to relax to keep your hair looking good...blah blah blah...it's all misinformation.

Yes, BW are miseducated about hair and more importantly how to care for it to make it healthy. Hair stylists may know how to style hair, but do not know how to care for it and make it healthy. And this is because of the years and years of following the wrong hair care practices. I want to tell my friends and family what I know, but they already look at me crazy. I tell them I don't use grease and I wash 3x a week and don't use heat often. They call me white girl. But they all notice my hair getting longer. I wish people would just be more open minded and actually try different approaches to hair care. Let the grease and other products go!!!

Ladies, this is a really good discussion and you ALL are so right. Think about it, we (as black women/people) don't know "what" to use on our hair and we don't know what products to avoid that are bad for our hair! :look:

i.e. petro, various cones,sulfates, etc.. and Our Products are laden with those types of ingredients and we are only as "educated" as to what we are exposed to.

If we are only exposed to "fake" hair in our Beauty Salons and no body (even the stylist) seem to have "healthy hair" then we think that's what we're suppose to have. When I was growing up, the Salons specialized in Healthy Hair Care. The products may have been "bad" but the techniques and the care and concern for your hair was: On Point.:yep:

Think about it, I am sure Sally is a Multi Million Dollar Corporation, Nationally, but 3/4ths of the products are not in the best interest for our hair, but that's the 1st place we (as a community) often rely on for our hair product needs because it is what we are Exposed to.

It's an epidemic in our community that being expose to healthy looking hair and healthy hair care "practices" in a dying practice.:perplexed

We really need to take this serious don't we?:yep:

Back