Self-Relaxers Who Are Babying/Preserving Your Nape.....

LocksOfLuV

In which order do you relax your nape? When do you relax it (first, last, ect)? Do you do anythign special to it?

I usually start with the nape and work my way to the top of my head, but I think that is causing more harm than good to my sensitive nape. Even though I can't stand the sight of BDBz on relaxed heads, I figure I will need to keep my nape VERY underprocessed in order for it to grow out long and strong.:ohwell:

I usually part my head in 4 sections. And start with the back right, go the the back left, then the front left, then front right, but I am thinking of changing it up.

Should I start from the back right but instead of the nape area, the crown since it is my coarsest area? Which area should I start? Any advice?

Its better that way because if you have bone straight edges and they falling out, it really aint all that cute :( ....
I relax my edges however..rest is natural

Section off the nape and do it last. Do the rest like you always do and leave the nape in a ponytail to do for last. I do that to the front of my hair because my hairline needs to be babied.

shynessqueen said:
Section off the nape and do it last. Do the rest like you always do and leave the nape in a ponytail to do for last. I do that to the front of my hair because my hairline needs to be babied.

Excellent idea!:)

Hidden, my edges aren't a problemo for me. It's just the nape. I'm tryign to keep it close as possible to natural!

shynessqueen said:

I do this too. I relax my edges and nape at the very end. Sometimes it's a little frizzier/curlier than the rest, but I prefer that over it being gone.

myco said:
I do this too. I relax my edges and nape at the very end. Sometimes it's a little frizzier/curlier than the rest, but I prefer that over it being gone.

Okay so I think this is what I am gonna do! Thank you ladies! :kiss:

I do the nape always last, and always in the last 10 minutes. But also, I will touch it up every other time.

This allows my nape to stay strong enough to catch up with the rest of my hair.

-A

My nape always broke off, but now I leave it for last, putting in a ponytail too, and this time around I did not relax it at all. I will relax it every other perm. HTH!

I do my nape second to last and the hair line last. My hairline is very fine and tend to overprocess really quickly. I read a nice technique here on the LHCF of course for helping to preserve the nape. Not only did the person underprocess the nape on purpose, but they used to keep it braided in about 3 or 4 small braids to avoid manipulation until it grew out healthy and strong.

My relaxer of choice (Vitale Sensitive Scalp) comes with a protien liquid to protect previously relaxed hair. I put this over my nape to protect it. You could probably use ApHogee or another strong protien ...the liquid in the kit reminds me of ApHogee Treatment by way of texture, color, and smell.

I think teaming this trick up with doing that section last helps keep my nape healthy.

Chayil

Arcadian said:
I do the nape always last, and always in the last 10 minutes. But also, I will touch it up every other time.

This allows my nape to stay strong enough to catch up with the rest of my hair.

-A
Great Idea

chayil0427 said:
My relaxer of choice (Vitale Sensitive Scalp) comes with a protien liquid to protect previously relaxed hair. I put this over my nape to protect it. You could probably use ApHogee or another strong protien ...the liquid in the kit reminds me of ApHogee Treatment by way of texture, color, and smell.

I think teaming this trick up with doing that section last helps keep my nape healthy.

Chayil

Oooh that a good idea too!:) I don't think I can do the skip a relaxer thing (tooo many tangles), so aphogee on top of it works good in addition to relaxing it last.

Great suggestions, I may stop relaxing my nape all together. This is the only section of my hair that is not 4B. This area is very fine but never seems to kink/coil like the rest of my hair, so I think I will be able to stop relaxing it all together.

This could be an option to help preserve this area and help it thrive:scratchch

When I self relaxed in the past I always did my nape last. My old hair stylist did it first which I never understood.

Last edited:
I have been doing my nape last. I my hair tends to be thickest and grow faster (more new growth) at the crown so I usually start there saving my hairline and nape for last. This next time, I'm thinking about not relaxing my nape at all. My new growth back there feels finer, softer, almost wavy like which confuses me because I am positive, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I have plain ol' 4d hair...So, I'm thinking about skipping it as long as there's not breakage to see what it ends up looking like.

Good luck to you!

Back