Self Relaxers vs. Salon?

JenBenCal

Hey ladies! I don't know if there's a thread about this already but I was curious: for the ladies who get relaxers, do you feel you're better suited to DIY or find a trusted stylist to do your relaxers? How many of you have retained/lost length due to at home or salon relaxers and which do you think is better/why? Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks! :grin:

Well I switched to self relaxing, because they always trimmed my hair and I felt like I could never retain my length! The 1st time or 2 was rough, but you get the hang of it! If you have someone you trust as a stylist and can afford it then you should do what your comfortable with.

I'm a straight DIY'er. I take my time, and do my own relaxers, and I relax in complete sections so I never under/over process!

i've been self relaxing for over 2 years now. i wouldn't have it any other way. everyone else is too rough on my hair.

I started self-relaxing a few months ago. I don't ever want to go back to the salon again for another relaxer. My hair was always limp and lifeless after getting a relaxer from a salon, but now that I've been doing it myself it's a lot thicker and I'm not getting a lot of breakage. I've also saved a lot of money.

I've been self relaxing since high school. I did get a couple of retouches here and there at the salon but they were too expensive.

The only time I didn't self-relax was when I was natural of course, but I grew my hair out to a certain length before I relaxed again.

I will have my SIL do my next relaxers on 1-1-10. I was so mad each time my stylist cut my hair instead of dusting. I also have friends I trust who can relax for free. Or maybe exchange a day of baby sitting for my hair being relaxed.

Thanks yall for all your comments! I'm currently deciding whether or not I should bite the bullet and learn how to self-relax, keeping a little money in my pocket! :yep:.

definitely consider self relaxing! the biggest problem people tend to have is underprocessing, and you can always do a corrective. + think of all the money you save!

at the salon:
$50+ for touchup
$10+ for a deep condition
$5 + for a trim you didn't ask for
$10 for a tip
+ all the hours you spend in the chair while they work on other clients...

vs:
$8 (max) for a no lye relaxer kit / jar of lye relaxer
$3 for a box of gloves
+ the confidence you get knowing you're using your OWN deep conditioning products that are guaranteed to work on your hair

the answer was clear for me :grin:

JenBCal -- I just started Self-Relaxing.:yep:

Actually Labor Day Weekend will be my 3rd attempt. Although, I am not very good at it right now, I am going to keep trying.:look:

I know I will get better and better. I have all the "right" products. It's just My Skills and Technique aren't the "Greatest"

But ----- Regardless of that, I will not return to the Salon any time soon. I'm Much Too Terrified & Traumatized to Return to the Shop right now.:blush:

I'd much rather do it myself and Know that I have given it the best care possible.:yep:

Self-relaxing is the way to go. I've been doing this for the past 5 years w/out complaints. My nape have grown back and I feel my hair is in better condition than when I was visiting beauticians. Case in point, I was going for relaxer and blowout for almost 2 years, religiously every week I'd be there for a wash and set and at the end of 2 years I had nothing to show except balding nape and edges, damaged hair and less money in my pocket. After finding LHCF it became my lifesaver. Not all products worked for me but what I've learned here have been a invaluable. No longer am I at the mercy of a beautician, I have been able to achieve the same type care that some people would pay for and now my hair is thanking me for it.

JenBCal -- I just started Self-Relaxing.:yep:

Actually Labor Day Weekend will be my 3rd attempt. Although, I am not very good at it right now, I am going to keep trying.:look:

I know I will get better and better. I have all the "right" products. It's just My Skills and Technique aren't the "Greatest"

But ----- Regardless of that, I will not return to the Salon any time soon. I'm Much Too Terrified & Traumatized to Return to the Shop right now.:blush:

I'd much rather do it myself and Know that I have given it the best care possible.:yep:
co-signing completely:yep:. My second attempt will be tomorrow morning and I plan on doing a corrective.

You guys are really convincing me here! But I'm curious, out of all the terms I've heard of, I haven't heard of correctives before. How/what is it?

I self relax in sections and prefer to do it at home b/c I save money and it comes out better to me anyway... lol

Self relax definitely. The last time I went to the salon I had ask the stylist to please rinse my hair good, please rinse my nape, and shampoo well. She acted like she didn't want to be bothered. I had to go home and hop right in the shower to re-neutralize, reconstruct, and deep conditioner. After I got finished my hair felt like it should. I will just do it myself from now own. I relax in sections. Doing the back first, rinse, etc.. then do the top part. I time it perfectly and never leave it on longer than 15 mins. My hair is thick and not over processed.

I'm switching to self-relaxing. I had my last salon relaxer two weeks ago and ended up with stick straight hair and scalp burns. I can't take it anymore. I'm reading through all the self relaxing tips on this board so that I can do the next one on my own. The ladies here are very helpful and knowledgeable.

You guys are really convincing me here! But I'm curious, out of all the terms I've heard of, I haven't heard of correctives before. How/what is it?

I think that's when you accidently underprocess a section of your hair so you wait a few days or weeks and then try to relax that section again to get it straighter. I think that's what it means to do a corrective.

A corrective relaxer is done to correct prior underprocessing. Obviously you have to be very careful doing this because you could inadvertently OVERprocess.

I'm considering self relaxing too (thanks for the thread JenBen) I just don't want to end up bald!

What do you ladies mean, relax in sections?

I completely agree with you on both fronts. I'm a little afraid to do it because I wouldn't want to screw my hair up :lachen:.

Self relax definitely. The last time I went to the salon I had ask the stylist to please rinse my hair good, please rinse my nape, and shampoo well. She acted like she didn't want to be bothered. I had to go home and hop right in the shower to re-neutralize, reconstruct, and deep conditioner. After I got finished my hair felt like it should. I will just do it myself from now own. I relax in sections. Doing the back first, rinse, etc.. then do the top part. I time it perfectly and never leave it on longer than 15 mins. My hair is thick and not over processed.

Thanks for posting exactly how you do it! I might give it a try this way because it sounds like the easiest.

I completely agree with you on both fronts. I'm a little afraid to do it because I wouldn't want to screw my hair up :lachen:.

Thanks for posting exactly how you do it! I might give it a try this way because it sounds like the easiest.

You're welcome. Its very easy.

I section my hair and then use butterfly clips to hold in place.
Apply Preservo serum (protectant) to the previously relaxed hair.
Base hairline, ears, and nape. I don't have to base my scalp with my relaxer because it is a sensitive scalp formula (no lye) and never burns.
Take a shower cap and cover the front part of my hair.

Start the back and relax my hair making sure to only apply relaxer to the new growth, and smooth. My total time is 15 mins.
Rinse in the shower.
Apply re constructor, leave on for 10 mins, rinse, neutralize twice,apply FSP, rinse
Apply conditioner for DC and cover relaxed section with a shower cap.

I do the same thing to the top half; following the same steps.

After I'm done doing the top, I neutralize, apply FSP to whole head, DC with a moisturizing conditioner with heat for at least 30 mins.

Rinse, apply leave ins, seal, style.

That's it. I don't have to worry about leaving the relaxer on for too long. I move too slow to do my whole head at once. Just do half and then do the other half. You'll be fine. It takes longer but the end result is better for my hair health. HTH

Last edited:
I self relax now. I left my stylist of 3yrs in August 2008 when he charged me $125 for my relaxer. That was a $30 jump from the last relaxer. He did not even have the courtesy to tell me ahead. I think I was really agitated because I had been out on medical leave since June which he was aware of. But back to the question. I really liked the way he applied my relaxer and color. He managed to over process me a couple of times, but not too much of a setback. After leaving him I tried another person in November but he charged $95 and I did not like the way my color came out. Said goodbye to him. In March I tried another stylist which almost turned into a TOTAL disaster. That's when I gave up looking for the perfect stylist and decided to do it myself. I did a corrective in April and a scheduled one July. So far so good. It's a bit hard applying a relaxer yourself but I'm sure it will get better. My goal is to apply the entire relxer in 15 min. Right now I'm around the 18-20 min mark. I will not give up because I know everything my hair needs and I love being in total control.

I self relax now. I left my stylist of 3yrs in August 2008 when he charged me $125 for my relaxer. That was a $30 jump from the last relaxer. He did not even have the courtesy to tell me ahead. I think I was really agitated because I had been out on medical leave since June which he was aware of. But back to the question. I really liked the way he applied my relaxer and color. He managed to over process me a couple of times, but not too much of a setback. After leaving him I tried another person in November but he charged $95 and I did not like the way my color came out. Said goodbye to him. In March I tried another stylist which almost turned into a TOTAL disaster. That's when I gave up looking for the perfect stylist and decided to do it myself. I did a corrective in April and a scheduled one July. So far so good. It's a bit hard applying a relaxer yourself but I'm sure it will get better. My goal is to apply the entire relxer in 15 min. Right now I'm around the 18-20 min mark. I will not give up because I know everything my hair needs and I love being in total control.

I cannot believe he charged you that much!! That's insane! I'm glad you've started taking control and doing your own relaxers. I'm tired of being attached to those salons.

I relaxed myself the last time, and my hair start falling out. Maybe because i change my relaxer brand, or maybe i left it too much into my hair. The thing is that i had to cut it and start using a lot of products because my hair was too weak. I was afraid to comb it.

I had my stilist i trust the world, but i moved to México and is almost imposible to find someone that can treat my hair. So, i decide to go natural instead of burning my hair ;__;

Back