Self relaxers that relax in sections...

MizAvalon

do you neutralize and shampoo each section before you move on to the next section? Also, how do you prevent the other sections from getting wet before you're ready to work on them? Or is that not possible?

Thanks, I tried searching but the feature isn't working properly.

do you neutralize and shampoo each section before you move on to the next section? Also, how do you prevent the other sections from getting wet before you're ready to work on them? Or is that not possible?

uhhh...based on your question I would not recommend that you self-relax at this time. I dont self-relax either so I dont mean this in a bad way. But when you relax, you're supposed to relax each section first then rinse, neutralize and shampoo. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in and correct me.

Good luck!

I usually self relax in two sections but with my last relxer application I did it in four and it worked so much better for me. When I do each section I shampoo with neutralizer after each rinse. Some ladies apply a protein conditioner before neutralizing..I get too nervous about leaving it un-neutalized for too long. I cover the remaining section with a shower cap pinned down with a few hair pins. Hope this helps :)

I usually self relax in two sections but with my last relxer application I did it in four and it worked so much better for me. When I do each section I shampoo with neutralizer after each rinse. Some ladies apply a protein conditioner before neutralizing..I get too nervous about leaving it un-neutalized for too long. I cover the remaining section with a shower cap pinned down with a few hair pins. Hope this helps :)

Thanks so much for your response. How to keep the other hair dry really had me stumped since I plan to relax in 4 sections.

By the way, is that you in your avatar?:grin:

I plan to self relax in sections too. I'm still a bit stumped on how to keep each section dry. Do u have to use a hand-held showerhead?

Does anyone have any pics showing how they pinned down each section?

TIA

:blush: I'm so sorry! :blush: I didnt know you could relax this way. Is this a better way to do relax/touch up? If yes, how so? And again, please forgive my ignorance.:wallbash:

I plan to self relax in sections too. I'm still a bit stumped on how to keep each section dry. Do u have to use a hand-held showerhead?

I do. I wouldn't even bother self relaxing if I didn't. That's only because I have complete control over where the water goes as far as rinsing and neutralizing goes.

Anyhow, I relax in two parts; back first in two sections and the front divided in three sections. The last time I self relaxed, I put a piece of stocking (like a stocking cap) over the part that wasn't being relaxed, and secured it with clips. Afterwards, I then put a shower cap on top and secured the shower cap to my head with clips.

Last edited:
I self relax too and have been doing so for about 6 years now and I've never had a problem (that is until I used Phytospecific about 4 months ago...my hair hated that stuff!!!!).

I do mine in 3 sections, 2 at the top (one on each side) and the bottom section. I use a handheld waterspray attachment to my sink and start with one section at a time. I also make sure to use a timer. While I'm working on one section, I put each of the other sections in a ball.

I wash out one section at a time and use my fingers to feel where my parts are so that I don't wet the other sections. I wash with neutralizing shampoo once and then place conditioner and ball the section up. I then go back to relaxing another section, once again setting the timer.

When I'm done with the last section, I rinse and shampoo everything together, combining all sections, with neutralizing shampoo a couple of times, then proceed with after-relaxer regimen as planned. It takes a long time and it's difficult the first couple of times, but just TAKE YOUR TIME and be careful and you'll be fine. I wouldn't have it any other way (unless of course I can manage to find a beautician that I adore, lol).

Hope this helps!! :yawn:

Last edited:
I wash in 3 sections (two in front 1 in back) and I started with the back section first so I can easily rinse it in the shower ( I did not want to use the tub for fear I would get the other sections wet). So I used a shower cap to cover the two front sections and RINSED like mad. After I rinse I use a protein (Motion Silk Protein) fro 5 min, and then neutralize and do the same for the rest of the sections

BUT

for the front two sections I rinsed in the tub because i could easily lean over to one side (started with the right side) and it didn't matter at that point whether I had gotten the back wet because it is already done.

I am too paranoid about doing this. I don't think I could avoid wetting the rest of the hair/roots. And what about the time? This seems like it would take a long time. Well, unless you are texturizing/lightly texlaxing.

I relax in about 5 sections, starting above the nape ( I only do the nape once each year) and keeping the unrelaxed sections in a baggy so it stays dry. This gives me more "time" to focus my 10 minutes on applying and smoothing a particular section rather than the whole head. :)

I relax in about 5 sections, starting above the nape ( I only do the nape once each year) and keeping the unrelaxed sections in a baggy so it stays dry. This gives me more "time" to focus my 10 minutes on applying and smoothing a particular section rather than the whole head. :)

Wow 5! I thought you were a half and halfer. I'm gonna try Phyto I and if I'm still not getting consistent results I'm definitely trying sections.

Wow 5! I thought you were a half and halfer. I'm gonna try Phyto I and if I'm still not getting consistent results I'm definitely trying sections.
:lol: If I could do it half and half, that would be great! I've done it in 4 sections before but I feel better with 5. :)

LondonDiva has an exellent tutotial in her fotki. That's what I follow when I self-relax and it works really well.

I do. I wouldn't even bother self relaxing if I didn't. That's only because I have complete control over where the water goes as far as rinsing and neutralizing goes.

Anyhow, I relax in two parts; back first in two sections and the front divided in three sections. The last time I self relaxed, I put a piece of stocking (like a stocking cap) over the part that wasn't being relaxed, and secured it with clips. Afterwards, I then put a shower cap on top and secured the shower cap to my head with clips.

Ditto. I did this twice and it worked very well. I did the front first and then the back.

LondonDiva has an exellent tutotial in her fotki. That's what I follow when I self-relax and it works really well.

I tried getting into her Fotki but the password seems not to be working. :(

I've checked out her tutuorial before and I should have printed it out then.

I did it in 4 sections once and almost died! it took so long and my neck and back hurt so bad. Now I just do two-front and back. I use a shower cap on one half to protect from water but I ALWAYS get water on that section!

LondonDiva has the best tutorial I have seen on this issue, with pics to help.

I did half and half w/ my last relaxer. I pinned a shower cap around the second half and clipped the first half in small sections. I had 4 months of NG and would not have been able to get through my hair to relax without this technique. I neutralized and put porosity control on one side while I moved to the other if I recall. I did not have problems with the second half getting wet.

Pics are in my fotki. I am still working it out as a newbie, but hope this helps.

LondonDiva has the best tutorial I have seen on this issue, with pics to help.

I did half and half w/ my last relaxer. I pinned a shower cap around the second half and clipped the first half in small sections. I had 4 months of NG and would not have been able to get through my hair to relax without this technique. I neutralized and put porosity control on one side while I moved to the other if I recall. I did not have problems with the second half getting wet.

Pics are in my fotki. I am still working it out as a newbie, but hope this helps.

Thank you, loved.:yep:

Food for thought......I brought this up on a similar thread. But I was thinking about doing half one day and then waiting 3-5 days and doing the next half. I just don't think I could keep the other section dry..... I would definitely suggest practicing :yep:- the same way that I finally learned to self relax by practicing w/conditioner, maybe practice as if you were just relaxing 1/2 your head and see if you could keep the other half dry......Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Food for thought......I brought this up on a similar thread. But I was thinking about doing half one day and then waiting 3-5 days and doing the next half. I just don't think I could keep the other section dry..... I would definitely suggest practicing :yep:- the same way that I finally learned to self relax by practicing w/conditioner, maybe practice as if you were just relaxing 1/2 your head and see if you could keep the other half dry......Hope that wasn't too confusing.

That makes sense and thats what I may do from now on bc I cant keep from getting the other part wet and I got breakage bc of this last time I tried. The only thing is, I would do the front first and wash it out in the sink with the back pulled back, then a few days later do the back. The reason Im thinking this is because the relaxer will run on the other hair when u are rinsing if u do the back first. Either that or if u are going to do the back, rinse it in the shower and pin the front part up so the relaxer wont run down on it.

Thanks! I thought the hand-held would be helpful. I bought one sometime ago, just didn't bother to install it. I guess I will :rolleyes:

Back