SELF RELAXERS, I HAVE QUESTIONS? PLEASE....

LadyZ

I will be attempting my first self relaxing touch-up in a week or two... I will be using Mizani Sensitive Scalp... I am scared :blush:, but I want to do it... I have a few questions... I have read all the post in the self relax thread and will read them over and over, until I see them in my sleep:lachen:, You can never learn enough....

1. What is the best way to smooth the hair? in a downward way or what?

2. Can I apply the relaxer vertically instead of horizontally?

3. I want to add EVOO to my mix and I want to add conditioner to it too,
what it the best conditioner to add to it? (I have Mizani, Joico, Kenra)..
also how much conditioner and EVOO do I add to 7 ounces of relaxer?

4. Should I allow a longer processing time, after adding the oil/conditioner
to the relaxer?

5. Should I rinse out at the required processing time, or when I feel my
hair has been processed enough?

Any info is appreciated

TIA

I will be attempting my first self relaxing touch-up in a week or two... I will be using Mizani Sensitive Scalp... I am scared :blush:, but I want to do it... I have a few questions... I have read all the post in the self relax thread and will read them over and over, until I see them in my sleep:lachen:, You can never learn enough....

I'd say outward. just away from the scalp is most important IMO

2. Can I apply the relaxer vertically instead of horizontally?
Do whatever is most comfortable. I apply vertically.
I haven't heard of adding conditioner but I add EVOO (olive oil) and protein.
to the relaxer?
You will have to judge that by how your hair feels and how straight you want it. Process time also depends on which relaxer you use.

When you feel it. processing time on boxes is meant mostly so you won't leave it on for too long. If five minutes works for you then do it. I'm currently using 16 minutes and my goal is to get down to ten minutes.

Any info is appreciated
Check out LondonDiva's fotki. She has a very specific self-relaxing method that I use mostly and she gives great advice.

TIA

You can look up this article "Guide to Safely Applying Chemical Relaxer" by Audrey Sivasothy on AssociatedContent.com. The article is by a lady on LHCF, I can't think of her username Sista something. Anyways...the article gives you step by step instruction on how to properly give yourself a relaxer, even tells you how to prepare your hair for a relaxer. Trust me I have been giving myself relaxers for years, and I have been using her tips and I do see a BIG difference in my hair.

:perplexed:

2. Can I apply the relaxer vertically instead of horizontally? Next time. I will do it vertically first. Have you been reading my fotki?? I actuall wrote that I was going to spread it vertically first then horizontally. :lol:

N/A

to the relaxer?
N/A

N/A

Any info is appreciated

TIA

I've only self-relxed once. I made a B+! :grin:

Back