Self relaxers, how many tries did it take you?

How many tries did it take before you mastered self-relaxing?

• Total voters

HighlyFavored1

I'm thinking of self-relaxing but I don't want my first try to leave me looking like I didn't do anything. If it went really great the first time, was it because you'd made preparations, read about it, practiced with conditioner? If it took you a few tries, what advice could you give someone who has never done it before? If you decided to just go back to the stylist, do you plan on giving it another go?

In attempting not to overprocess, Ive been underprocessing in conjunction with using relaxers not strong enough for my hair type..

Im doing one more test run with a new relaxer which is Silk Elements Lye or C/R hair.. then if that doesnt work its onto Bantu, which I know works!!!

Good Luck!

Bumping for replies.

I underprocessed my first time (last month), and will be getting a correction next month. But after that, I might attempt to self-relax again as well.

I read other's self-relaxing techniques
I practiced a few times with cholesterol conditioner, tint brush, timer--the whole nine.
I learned I had to relax in halves ( no time to do my whole head in 25 minutes and do a good job)
Underprocessing was due to a switch to lye relaxers. Once I went back to no lye it was cool.

I underprocessed and overlapped the only time I tried. My hair is too long to risk seriously damaging it and doing a big chop. So, I went back to the stylist instead of trying again. I will try again after my stylist shows me how to apply relaxers. :) She is teaching me all about hairstyling.

I'm actually planning on relaxing my hair tonight for the first time! I'm scared and excited to see how I will do. I'll let you all know how it goes.:thumbsup:...is it me, or does this not look like a thumbs up? (hint, hint, nudge)

It doesnt, the first time someone used those towards me I got offended for a minute :lol:

Wishin4BSL said:
I'm actually planning on relaxing my hair tonight for the first time! I'm scared and excited to see how I will do. I'll let you all know how it goes.:thumbsup:...is it me, or does this not look like a thumbs up? (hint, hint, nudge)

Wishin4BSL said:

I will be self relaxing tonight also but it's not my first time. However, I will be trying ORS relaxer for the first time. Let me know how things go for you.

I self relaxed for a few years and never mastered it. I'm far too uncoordinated.
I even set up my digital camera as a webcam once so I could see the back of my head, and still couldn't do it properly.

Every now and then I'll do a botch job. The first time I used ORS no lye normal strength, I was able to correct my lye under processed areas. I also made sure that I washed my hair 3 days prior and not use any heavy products. I also did not base my scalp. The second time I used ORS, I hadn't washed my hair in well over a week, and I based my scalp. The relaxer did not take in the recommended time and I didn't feel like comfortable leaving it on for longer, so once again, I'm underprocessed. I think as long as you don't try to cut corners, you'll be fine. Every rule is for a reason. It's best to just follow them to the T.

June 3, 05-Great! (ORS)
September 1st 05-Didn't take. Rushed doing it,forgot to smooth(Revlon)
September 22 05-Corrective relaxer went great (Revlon)
April 6, 06-Great! (ORS)
June 26, 06- Underprocessed, relaxed 25-30%. I didn't smooth it long enough, was rushing cuz I was sick and didn't want anyone to come home and see me doing my hair instead of laying down. I also think it was due to the relaxer I used(Dark and Lovely)

As you can see it's a toss up for me. I generally do a good job though. Even though it is underprocessed now it is still very manageable and soft just wavy.

Mine always worked very well when I use to relax. I used a soft haired boar brush to smooth it in. I no longer do this, but as a kid my mum used to always do a full head relaxer for my touch ups. My hair is strongly resistant to relaxers. Fortunately, my hair did not fall out.:lol: I didn't know any better til I found this site. I appreciate all the knowledge we share here.

Shoot, I've been self-relaxing so long (10+ years) that I don't remember! :lol:

The only thing that helps is doing my whole head at the same time. I find that when I relax half my head at a time ("covering" the 1/2 not worked with), I come out VERY underprocessed. I also got the part not being worked with wet, no matter how well I tried to cover it. I wasn't pleased with my last 2 relaxers because of this.

So, I decided to just do it like I used to (divide hair in 4 sections, then work on each section quickly), and my hair comes out much, much better. This is the technique I used when I relaxed today....:)

I would say it took me a couple tries before I got it down. The hardest part was applying to the back and making sure I combed through and rinsed completely.

I self relaxed for 7+ years, it only took me one time to get the hang of it. :)
*My advice is pratice with a thick conditioner, preferbaly a cholesterol conditioner since most are really thick, and section your hair in 4 sections, and spilt those sections into 2 or more sections. Practice makes perfect. ;)

HTH

Sweet_Ambrosia said:
I self relaxed for 7+ years, it only took me one time to get the hang of it. :)
*My advice is pratice with a thick conditioner, preferbaly a cholesterol conditioner since most are really thick, and section your hair in 4 sections, and spilt those sections into 2 or more sections. Practice makes perfect. ;)

HTH

ITA. :yep:

My first time self relaxing I didn't leave the relaxer on long enough, so it was a little underprocessed. By the second time it was smooth sailing. I just did my third touch up last weekend and I love the freedom of self relaxing. :p

HighlyFavored1 said:
I'm thinking of self-relaxing but I don't want my first try to leave me looking like I didn't do anything. If it went really great the first time, was it because you'd made preparations, read about it, practiced with conditioner? If it took you a few tries, what advice could you give someone who has never done it before? If you decided to just go back to the stylist, do you plan on giving it another go?

Preparation and practice is key, I have a guide in my fotki journal, as you say, try it with conditioner first.

I just self-relaxed for the second time on Wednesday. Other than the amount of time it takes me to relax my hair self-relaxing is going great!. It's still taking me too long to relax my whole head so I might try Lonei's "Half and Half" self-relaxing method. Luckily I'm using a mild relaxer which isn't strong enough to make my resistant 4a/b hair bone straight. So I haven't had any problems with over processing or burning.

I have to say self-relaxing is fantastic and anyone who is thinking about doing it should try it. Ofcourse do your research and be prepared!

To help to speed up the application process I learned from someone on this board (I can't remember who though:confused: ) to pre-part my hair. I base my scalp and pre-part my hair into all the sections that I need it parted in to apply the relaxer. I use roller clips to keep the sections separated, I remove the clips as I apply relaxer. This helps to speed up the process some because I don't need to spend time parting through my super thick roots.

Anyway even though my application isn't great I love self-relaxing. I love the thickness that I'm finally gaining in my hair from being texlaxed, I know it isn't for everyone but for right now it works great for me :)

It took me a couple of tries as well until I got it down. Most of the work is preparation. As long as you divide the hair up into sections and use duckbill clips to section off each area, your application will go a lot faster and you will reduce the chance of overlapping since you know exactly where you're going to apply the relaxer. You then have a lot of time to focus on smoothing to ensure your roots are straightened to your liking throughout each section prior to rinsing.

I also use an mounted mirror so that I can position it to see the back of my head in the bathroom mirror.

m_ky20124.jpg

I've self relaxed for a long time too, so dunno, I guess I just do what comes natural.

Prepping ahead of time is what saves time for me and keeps me from being totally agitated, so I always prepart my hair and base around my scalp and ears. I use clips to keep the parts as my hair gets longer. Using the clips I can do my whole scalp, without the clips I have to do the half and half method.

First time using the half and half method I did get half my hair wet. No biggie though, just relaxed it anyway. Turned out fine.

I also like the freedom of self relaxing, but I still get a little anxious on relax day Don't know about anyone else but that never goes away for me.

I think thats what keeps me on my toes...lol

-A

HighlyFavored1 said:

First try...not so hot!
Second try...much better results.

Timing was a big issue the first go round. Fighting through months of new growth in the allotted time was impossible. I definitely went over time and still didn't get the hair as straight as I desired.

The second time I decided to part/section my hair before I started applying the relaxer. I parted my entire head section by section and put a clip to hold each individual section near the roots so all I had to do was pull the clip and apply. It took a while to section my entire head before application, but it made the application process go much smoother and FASTER. This will be the technique I use from here on out. I did start using large bibby pins when I ran out of clips, so I'll be buying more before my next relaxer.

Arcadian said:
I've self relaxed for a long time too, so dunno, I guess I just do what comes natural.

Prepping ahead of time is what saves time for me and keeps me from being totally agitated, so I always prepart my hair and base around my scalp and ears. I use clips to keep the parts as my hair gets longer. Using the clips I can do my whole scalp, without the clips I have to do the half and half method.

First time using the half and half method I did get half my hair wet. No biggie though, just relaxed it anyway. Turned out fine.

I also like the freedom of self relaxing, but I still get a little anxious on relax day Don't know about anyone else but that never goes away for me.

I think thats what keeps me on my toes...lol

-A

Great minds think alike...lol!!!

SweetPea said:
It took me a couple of tries as well until I got it down. Most of the work is preparation. As long as you divide the hair up into sections and use duckbill clips to section off each area, your application will go a lot faster and you will reduce the chance of overlapping since you know exactly where you're going to apply the relaxer. You then have a lot of time to focus on smoothing to ensure your roots are straightened to your liking throughout each section prior to rinsing.

I also use an mounted mirror so that I can position it to see the back of my head in the bathroom mirror.

m_ky20124.jpg

I have a mirror positioned perfectly on the bathroom door for this reason...people wonder why it's there because it's on the front of the door...lol.

It took around 2-3 tries to get the technique down right. I'm very confident in relaxing my own hair now.

I also pre-parted my hair for my first try last month and it worked pretty well. I was a little underprocessed in the back, but I think it was because I didn't use enough relaxer on those parts. I will know better next time. Pre-parting allowed plenty of time for smoothing.

My first was horrible, I was using a Super strength Relaxer and I burned WAY to early so I had to rinse it out and it turned out horrible. That second time though it came out GREAT! Ive been self-relaxing ever since. (about 8 years now)

I have been self relaxing since I was 15 - so thats 16 years..I remember the first time I did it, I followed instructions to the T and it came out fine. What I have just learned in the past 5 years is that I dont need to use super. More recently, as in last relaxer, I learned that mild works just fine. This surprised me as I consider myself to have very coarse hair.

LMAO @ Khandi

Hair type : 4abcdefghi etc.

That's how I feel.

I don't think I ever mastered self relaxing. I definetly over processed my tresses, and that's why I just stopped. Well not without me trying texturizing first.. YIKES

I was so obsessed on it not looking like I didn't do anything, and I think that's why it was always so bone straight.

plus I switched hair relaxers so often.

I think once I started using the half and half method I got great results.

I recommend the half and half method because it helps not overprocess the hair.

Get a good mirror and stand so you can see the back of your hair, base the scalp and use a mild relaxer if you can.

Good luck!

Back