SELF RELAXERS: Half/Half Method. How Do You Keep Other Half Dry?

JFK

Hi Ladies,

I'd like to do the half/half method of relaxing but I don't quite understand how you would keep the other half dry when you wash the perm out of the first half.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

I thought you couldn't put relaxer on wet hair. Am I wrong?

Please chime in. Thanks!

I use a sink hose and never have a problem w/ getting the other side wet...

ETA: I secure the side I'm not working on with a plastic cap and hair clips.

MsKibibi has a video on her blog - coursehairlonghair..I think she does it in a front and back half does the back half first washes it out etc then puts on 2 or more plastic caps.

MsKibibi has a video on her blog - coursehairlonghair..I think she does it in a front and back half does the back half first washes it out etc then puts on 2 or more plastic caps.

Yep, I've downloaded some of her videos. She does front half and back half, using clips and plastic caps to keep it secure.

I so admire people that are able to do this method. I am always so tense when I relax, I could see me sweating with plastic bags on the other half. Sweat+Touchup would not be good. I have toyed with the idea of doing one half one day, and then the other half a few days later. I usually punk out and just do it all the same day.

I so admire people that are able to do this method. I am always so tense when I relax, I could see me sweating with plastic bags on the other half. Sweat+Touchup would not be good. I have toyed with the idea of doing one half one day, and then the other half a few days later. I usually punk out and just do it all the same day.

ME TOO, I am a nervous wreck when I relax. I have to tell myself to calm down:blush:. I cover only part of the back of my head so if (WHEN) I sweat it has a chance to dry. I leave about an inch out of the back.

ME TOO, I am a nervous wreck when I relax. I have to tell myself to calm down:blush:. I cover only part of the back of my head so if (WHEN) I sweat it has a chance to dry. I leave about an inch out of the back.

I have a panic attack every time. I just look at the jar and my heart beats faster. I keep saying "its ok, you can do it" and then I pray like I'm dying.

I love the half and half method. Other wise I would really mess up my hair by the relaxer not taking at all or being over processed. I to the front half 1st and over the back w/ a plastic cap and secure it w/ clips. That way when I rinse out the front half Im mindful not to let the water touch to much of the back. I also rinse out in the tub but with my head underneath the faucet.

I have a panic attack every time. I just look at the jar and my heart beats faster. I keep saying "its ok, you can do it" and then I pray like I'm dying.

Again me too, I thought I was the only one. I was going to start a thread a while back called " Who loses their mind before relaxing". I did not do it because I thought people whould think I was crazy.

^^^I know I was always the one to try something new or be crazy with my hair and chemicals never scared me. But now I think I'm in love with my hair and I am all nervous and protective. This 1/2 and 1/2 thing looks like it might ease my nerves.

Hi Ladies,

I'd like to do the half/half method of relaxing but I don't quite understand how you would keep the other half dry when you wash the perm out of the first half.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

I thought you couldn't put relaxer on wet hair. Am I wrong?

Please chime in. Thanks!

I part my hair horizontally (from ear to ear) and I place a plastic cap on the top part of my hair and secure it with clips. I begin relaxing the back of my hair first, I wash it out in the shower and all the water runs downward, and the top portion remains protected under the plastic cap. Then I towel dry add a protein product to the back portion, then I cover the back of my hair with a plastic cap, securing it with clips and relax the front portion. I head back to the shower and when I rinse out the top portion I bend forward and hold my head down so that the relaxer running off doesn't run through the back portion of my hair. I then add my protein product, then rinse and nuetralize. :yep:

Last edited:

Again me too, I thought I was the only one. I was going to start a thread a while back called " Who loses their mind before relaxing". I did not do it because I thought people whould think I was crazy.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:Me Too! Everything Ya'll Shared.

Even days leading up to it, I start panicking:lachen:

@Bolded. That's Me:look: :lachen:

Thanks for the Laugh Ladies.....

*didn't mean to hi-jack the 1/2 & 1/2..carry on*:yep:

Since i stretch my hair for so long, I actually relax my hair in quarters!
I use saran wrap and metal roller clips to keep the sections I'm not relaxing dry.

I thought I was the only person who got anxiety about self relaxing lol. I always say a prayer before I begin and that calms me down. Here is a video I did self relaxing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny8DVa2YggE I hope this helps.

You are now part of the "relax your hair and your blook pressure shoots through the roof" club.:perplexed

Your YT video is the one I use to relax my hair. I have to smooth though, The relaxer I use and my hair density will not allow me not to. I will look as if I had not relaxed.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:I just line everything up in order of application and hope the water doesn't decide to go off before I neutralise. I check it before I start. The first time I self-relaxed I was all panicked. After that, it's a breeze.

Back