Seeking some advice

FemmeCreole

Island Gyal
Yesterday I turned 7 weeks post. I had originally scheduled a retouch at 8 weeks.

I've decided to install a sew in (wet and wavy 1b) for at least 4 weeks. My question is....should I relax my hair before the sew in or just DC then put in the sew in?

Also my hair has been shedding. It stopped when I did a DC with ORS but yesterday I washed and quite a bit of hair came out. I inspected and most of the strands had the lil white bulb. It doesn't seem to affect the thickness of my hair though....and my hair is growing so I'm not sure why it's shedding so much.

I have a lot of NG.... might that be a reason for the shedding?

Hi Val! When are you planning to do the install?If you're planning to do it this weekend, I wouldn't recommend relaxing your hair right now. If you plan to do it, say next weekend, go for it. But make sure you condition well and keep your level of moisture up. That way, you give the hair time to strengthen before the install. I'm not sure what to tell you about the shedding. Maybe you should try taking garlic suppliment to curb the shedding.

I wish I could help more. Maybe some of the hair gurus will step in with more advice.

Don't relax your hair...the straighter hair won't hold the braid and it will become undone.

Plus, you will be putting too much tension on your hair with the new relaxer AND the braiding.

Just do your co-washes, DCs and get your hair stronger until the sew-in.

Don't relax your hair...the straighter hair won't hold the braid and it will become undone.

Plus, you will be putting too much tension on your hair with the new relaxer AND the braiding.

I agree. Unless you are going to have a large amount of hair out, I say get the relaxer after the sew-in. If your hair is already shedding, don't put anymore stress on it with a relaxer/sew-in combo.

ok thanks ladies.....I'm not going to have much of my hair out. Just a lil bit at the front so there won't be stress on my edges

i don't think it's the new growth that's causing your shedding. try a garlic shampoo, or the homemade garlic oil treatment that people have been talking about (try searching). i use queen helene garlic shampoo when i shed a little more than i'd like, and that really helps.

and to answer your original question, i say go ahead and get the sew-in! in the event that you accidentally overprocess your hair with the touch-up, you don't want to put that hair in a sew in, and not be able to deep condition it if you need to.

I agree. I'm natural but there have been several past threads on someone relaxing their hair then getting a sew-in soon after and it being too much tension so their hair broke, thinned, etc.

I'm no expert, but isn't shedding just normal? I guess if you're shedding wayyyyy more than usual maybe it's a problem, but if not don't worry about it. I never do, but that's just me.

i don't think it's the new growth that's causing your shedding. try a garlic shampoo, or the homemade garlic oil treatment that people have been talking about (try searching). i use queen helene garlic shampoo when i shed a little more than i'd like, and that really helps.

and to answer your original question, i say go ahead and get the sew-in! in the event that you accidentally overprocess your hair with the touch-up, you don't want to put that hair in a sew in, and not be able to deep condition it if you need to.
I did see a couple threads about garlic oil treatment.....I'll have to look for it

ITA, try alter ego garlic oil treatment and co-wash until you get the install.

Back