Securing Hotel Blocks

SwtAnana

I posted this question at a wedding board that I frequent but I wanted to get your opinions too

I'm getting married this upcoming August and I'm conflicted on my room blocks. My ceremony/venue site are both at a location outside of Philadelphia (the Drexelbrook in Drexel Hill for those of you familiar with the area). This is about 20-25 min away from the local airport and about 30 min away from Center City.

I was hoping to book two hotels (a cheaper but nice option and a more upscale option for those with different tastes). I liked the idea of having an option near the airport for people flying in BUT there are hardly any good entertainment/food options there. They would either need a car or have to order delivery to a limited few places. I liked the city because it gives you entertainment and food although you'll have to pay more $$$ for it. My concerns are that the ideal hotel spots are too far from the venue!

My questions to you ladies would be:

1.) Do you think a ~30 min commute to the ceremony/reception site is reasonable? Should I find something closer even if it means my guests will be bored to tears?

2.) Should I just nix the idea of splitting hotels so that I can possibly rent a school bus or van to transport all guests in the hotel at one time?

3.) Do you know of other hotel options in the area that would be a good compromise between price, entertainment, and location?

Hotel at the reception site would be better so people don't have to drive after they party. That way they only need a taxi to and from the airport instead of having to drive from the hotel near the airport to the ceremony and drive after the reception when it's late and after having drinks
Most of my guests just ended up staying at the hotel and used the hotel bar for entertainment

My venue is already booked and is a standalone.

I tried getting my venue in a hotel that my guests would stay at but those options were WAY too expensive. Unfortunately there will have to be some commuting involved.

I hate the idea of having to drive in an unfamiliar location so as I guest, I would appreciate just one hotel option with the bus rental to get to the wedding.

tmhuggiebear I agree. It's always a bummer having to be the designated driver or to stop drinking earlier than you want to so I think I'll make it easier for everyone that way. I'll look into getting one hotel and try to book a deal for transportation.

That just opens up a whole 'nother can of worms for my Caribbean family members who I have a feeling will be unable to meet at the designated spot on time *le sigh*

Just saw this - if you haven't already look into rooms at Embassy Suites (or whatever the long term hotel for business people is there). Those that want to can pack up in those rooms and cook thier own food to make up the difference in room costs. I think its better for them to have access to sightseeing, museums etc closer to Center City than to be far out and still have to rent a car. That airport area is not cute.

If you can arrange for a bus to carry everyone the day of the wedding. They can party and not worry about drinking and/or driving in strange city. You know the rules with our people - if the bus needs to leave a 4 tell them its leaving at 3:30. Its not your job to worry about those that may miss the bus. They got to the airport in time they can get to the bus. Anyone that misses the bus can ask the concierge to call them a cab that they pay for themselves.

Good luck!

I ended up picking the Sofitel Hotel in Center City and I'll definitely be booking a bus to carry people to and from the ceremony/reception site. It's about a 30 min drive from center city to the site so I'm having a bus pick guests up about 1 hour and 15 minute beforehand just to make sure we plan for traffic/detours/ etc.

It's a gorgeous hotel in a nice area so I'm excited that we'll have our honeymoon suite that night!

Back