Search not working-Blowdrying question

dicapr

I was wondering how often you can blowdry and retain length. I am natural and the knotting of my ends is slowing my progress. I think that blowdrying my hair before styling it would cut down on this. How often would it be safe to blowdry. I am thinking of doing it weekly after my wash and DC.

I blow-dry every week, but my hair is about 80-90 percent airdryed before using the dryer and I apply a heat protectant. My hair hasn't suffered.

I blowdry my natural hair every 2 weeks after washing and deep conditioning. I use an ion ceramic blowdryer and blowdrying lotion as a heat protectant. It surely does cut down on single strand knots and tangles. ;)

I think the key is to be careful about breakage when blowdrying. I'm texlaxed and I blow dry sometimes and other times I airdry. Using moisturizing conditioners and shampoos was important when I was natural, it seemed like the better moisturized my hair was the less knots I got at the end.

Detangling with conditioner in the shower also helped with this.

When I do blow dry it's using an ionic ceramic blow dryer on low or medium heat with a heat protectant and straightening serum already applied. Also using Redken Smooth Down (the entire line) cut down on breakage and made straightening soooo much easier! :yawn:

Thanks for the replies! I just trimmed in feb and I'm already seeing knots. I almost relaxed this week because of this, but I am going to blowdry instead. I am soo close to my 1 yr BC! I hope yr 2 is easier.

I blowdry my natural hair every 2 weeks after washing and deep conditioning. I use an ion ceramic blowdryer and blowdrying lotion as a heat protectant. It surely does cut down on single strand knots and tangles. ;)

What blowdrying lotion do you use?

Using a good dryer is key also. All my old cheap dryers got really hot but didn't blow the air very strongly. I got a better dryer, the T3 Tourmaline, that doesn't get as hot, but blows the air out stronger, and dries hair faster and without the damage and frizzes. I use it to dry my daughter's long, thick, 3c/4a natural hair with a ceramic round brush. Her hair gets really straight and smooth from root to end, and no need for ironing after. A cold shot to the ends also keeps them smoother longer.

Using a good dryer is key also. All my old cheap dryers got really hot but didn't blow the air very strongly. I got a better dryer, the T3 Tourmaline, that doesn't get as hot, but blows the air out stronger, and dries hair faster and without the damage and frizzes. I use it to dry my daughter's long, thick, 3c/4a natural hair with a ceramic round brush. Her hair gets really straight and smooth from root to end, and no need for ironing after. A cold shot to the ends also keeps them smoother longer.

What brand of brush do you use? ---As yall can see this is a subject I'm interested in...:yep:

I blow dry my hair every 1 week to 10 days. I'm natural 4A MBL and I don't have knot issues. I keep my natural hair straight 75% of the time. The key for my "no-knot" success is, I don't rough up my hair when I'm blow drying by chasing the blow dryer with any type of comb attachment. I use my method of tension only. And I make sure that I have a layer of heat protectant on my hair strands.

I blow dry my hair every 1 week to 10 days. I'm natural 4A MBL and I don't have knot issues. I keep my natural hair straight 75% of the time. The key for my "no-knot" success is, I don't rough up my hair when I'm blow drying by chasing the blow dryer with any type of comb attachment. I use my method of tension only. And I make sure that I have a layer of heat protectant on my hair strands.

How straight does your hair get with this method? How do you keep your ends from curling up while you blowdry your length. I am going to try blowdrying this weekend.

Originally posted by dicapr
How straight does your hair get with this method? How do you keep your ends from curling up while you blowdry your length. I am going to try blowdrying this weekend.

You are welcome to look in my fotki Dec. 2007 hair album. I have many pics of how I do my hair. After I blow dry my hair using my method, it is 60% straight. My ends don't curl up because I have a taut grip on the length of my hair as I blow dry and I make sure my hair is 100 percent tangle free before I blow dry.

Back