sealing with oil this winter

bimtheduck

I currently seal in moisture with extra virgin coconut oil. It works great but I've read in past threads that coconut oil has a tendency to turn hair hard out in the winter cold. I know it's a ways off but I wanted to find a great oil to seal with during the colder months.

What are some really good oils(that doesn't smell bad) to seal with in the winter?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Almond oil, Jojoba oil, Sweet Almond oil, Carrot oil, Tea Tree Oil, Olive Oil and Castor Oil are some other oils that are good for sealing, but I'm not sure about their smell...

It will depend on your hair evoo might be heavy enough for winter care, or you can try shea butter, castor oil or avocado oil

Thanks for open this! is gonna be first time living in an almost 4 weather stations country. So i need to fiond how to seal my hair too.

I always use EVOO why do you say is too heavy Spongie Bloom?

I currently seal in moisture with extra virgin coconut oil. It works great but I've read in past threads that coconut oil has a tendency to turn hair hard out in the winter cold. I know it's a ways off but I wanted to find a great oil to seal with during the colder months.

What are some really good oils(that don't smell bad) to seal with in the winter?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you, Bimtheduck {what a memorable moniker you have:yep:!} I have not ever thought about the way coconut oil hardens when it is cold thus my hair would do the same! Good post.

I have always sealed with coconut and castor oil together even in the winter and never had a problem with hard hair. Maybe its because I use them together. I will continue to use it even in the winter unless I notice bad effects from it.

My Plan is to Invest in some Avacado Butter and perhaps some Almond Butter for the Colder Months Ahead.

And will probably seal with Avacado Oil and Sweet Almond Oil.:yep:

Well I'm going to use up any oil this winter that is not coconut oil or vatika oil. Learnt the hard way :(. I have castor oil, EVOO, amla and shikakai. They should be ok I think.

Has anyone mixed their coconut oil with another oil? Maybe it will stop it from getting hard?

I just love coconut oil in my hair and I dunno what I'm going to do when it gets cold either :)

Has anyone mixed their coconut oil with another oil? Maybe it will stop it from getting hard?

I just love coconut oil in my hair and I dunno what I'm going to do when it gets cold either :)

I do this all the time. I mix coconut and castor oil togehter all the time including the winter. I've never had a problem with the coconut oil hardening at all. I do think that mixing the coconut oil with another oil kept it from getting hard. I will continue to do this for my hair. My hair loves it. HTH

WOW, thanks OP and thanks Kellum, I never thought about this and I really like coconut oil. I guess I'll take your lead, Kellum and mix it with castor oil.

But Kellum, do you just use the mix all over or just on your ends? Or coconut on the length then the mix on your ends?

I use Jojoba all year round. I love Castor oil in the winter....I really don't smell it at all and like Kellum said I sometimes mix castor and coconut oil together.

I recently posted about how I had a horror story with coconut oil LOL. Right now I am trying out almond oil to seal. Yesterday was my first day trying it and I liked it. Only my hair came out really flat. So i am not sure if I used too much or not. i am currently dcing right now so hopefully it will come out better *crosses fingers*.

WOW, thanks OP and thanks Kellum, I never thought about this and I really like coconut oil. I guess I'll take your lead, Kellum and mix it with castor oil.

But Kellum, do you just use the mix all over or just on your ends? Or coconut on the length then the mix on your ends?

You're welcome. I take coconut and castor oil and rub them in my hands to liquidfy and then apply to my hair. The way I apply it depends on how I will be wearing my hair.

If I am bunning, wearing a french braid or doing a style where it really doesnt matter if my hair is weighed down then I will apply the both oils to my length and ends. I use an equal mix of both oils.

If I am wearing a rollerset, braid out, twist out or a style where I don't want my hair weighed down then I will apply a little coconut oil to my length and then apply just a little coconut and castor to my ends. I am very light so I don't weigh down my hair. I tried just applying castor to my ends but it is really thick and hard to spread. If I apply a little of both then it goes on a lot easier.

That's basically it. My hair is always happy and feels very soft and moist. HTH

What are some really good oils(that doesn't smell bad) to seal with in the winter?

Thanks in advance!

Its not that it turns hair hard, the oil itself solidifies. It only becomes noticeable if you have a significant amount on your hair. And even still the minute you get back to room/body temp the oil softens again. So unless you stay outside in the freezing cold its not an issue. It happened to me a couple of times when I first started using coconut oil. Honestly I thought it was kinda cool to have "hold" w/o hair spray. LoL!

I've looked a few place for castor oil and had no luck. Health stores, Sally's, specialty stores, no luck. Where does everyone else get theirs?

^^^ I got mine from a health food store. I do know Walmart also sells it in near the pharmacy because it is used as an laxative.

Is castor oil found at the health food store or for hair use the same as the liquid castor oil in the bottle found at the local pharmacy?

^^^ I believe they are the same. I got mine from a health food store and the directions on the bottle are for using it as a laxative. I believe the one at the pharmacy or health food store are the same. I just made sure it said pure castor oil with nothing else added to it. HTH

Thanks for open this! is gonna be first time living in an almost 4 weather stations country. So i need to fiond how to seal my hair too.

I always use EVOO why do you say is too heavy Spongie Bloom?

It was heavy for my relaxed hair so it was perfect for winter I havent used it on its own onmy natural hair though.

Back