Sealing Ends

Dee-Licious

Help me out ladies. I know oils and butters can be used to seal, but exactly how do you do it.

Do you dab your ends in the oil?
Section hair and rub on the ends?
Something else? I'm truly confuse on how to exactly seal my ends.
What do you use?

TIA

***Searching did not ever provide an exact answer.

ETA. Do do you do this on wet or dry hair... if so what do you do after you seal.

Last edited:
WHEN SEALING MY ENDS, I USUALLY PART MY HAIR IN ABOUT 3 SECTIONS AND RUB IT ON THE ENDS. AND I USE BLACK CASTOR OIL TO SEAL

Not sure how everyone else does it, But I will share my routine.

After shampoo and I have moisturized the entire hair with all of my prod(s) then I section my hair and then I apply butter on the ends of my hair, concentrating on the last 2 inches then I seal all of my hair with a gloss serum. side note*(I usually will smooth litely butter on the rest of my hair ) Then I air dry or you can proceed to your styling method of choice.

I hope this helps some. I am sure others will respond :)

darkempress said:
WHEN SEALING MY ENDS, I USUALLY PART MY HAIR IN ABOUT 3 SECTIONS AND RUB IT ON THE ENDS. AND I USE BLACK CASTOR OIL TO SEAL

Gurl you have movie star hair, It is gorgeous! I love the shine. :grin:

I use a couple of different oils to seal (Amla lite/castor/jojoba) so I mix them all together in my palms first, then I scrunch the oils onto the ends of my hair.

Then I put a few more drops onto my hands and make my pin curls (I moisturize/seal at night) so that any part of my hair that didn't get oil from the scrunching will get oiled now.:)

well the only thing I do after moisturizing my hair or even after I shampoo and condition.. I rub oil (EVOO, or sweet almond oil) all over my strands and especially the ends.

After I apply a leave in or mist my hair with water I rub a little butter or oil between my palms and then smooth them over my hair, concentrating on the ends

camellia said:
After I apply a leave in or mist my hair with water I rub a little butter or oil between my palms and then smooth them over my hair, concentrating on the ends

This is exactly what I do. :)

I use coconut oil and sometimes jojoba oil. I part my hair in about three sections, then apply the oil. I moisturize first, offcourse.:)

tarheelgurl said:
You do this on dry hair? Because I only wash my hair once a week.

I'm not sure if this is directed to me, but I do it on dry hair. I do it every day after moisturizing.

Yea Angie, I was asking at you and thanks for the reply. You moisturize then seal the ends on dry hair and then do you wrap it? My hair is thin and I am trying to come up with a different night time routine instead of just wrapping it. I am seeing more hair come out when I wrap it but I don't want it to dry out either.
I guess that's why I joined because I need a little help!

When I do seal I just put a few drops in my hand rub together and smooth over my ends, I do this on wet hair mainly. But if I'm trying to up my moisture I'll do it on dry hair too.

Isn't the point of sealing to seal in moisture? Then shouldn't it be done on top of moisture/water, not on dry hair? Maybe its just my hair... but oil on dry hair would leave my hair oily but not moisturized and I can tell the difference. Please clarify ladies?

jrae said:
Isn't the point of sealing to seal in moisture? Then shouldn't it be done on top of moisture/water, not on dry hair? Maybe its just my hair... but oil on dry hair would leave my hair oily but not moisturized and I can tell the difference. Please clarify ladies?

I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in as my daily moisturizer. I appy this to my dry hair and then seal with oil.

jrae said:

Yes. I do this on freshly washed damp hair, or I mist my hair with water first.

It actually depends on the individuals hair and what it likes. I for one DC 2x's a wk. for that reason, once I apply my moisturizing leavins on freshly pooed and DC hair I sometimes add a little oil and don't need to moisturize btwn poo days. But if I'm in cornrows I like to moisturize my ends w/ a daily moisturizer NTM or a butter like elast QP and I add oil after that.

Also not all oils leave the hair oily, I know for me Jojoba oil softens the heck out of my hair and doesn't just sit there.
jrae said:

tarheelgurl said:
Yea Angie, I was asking at you and thanks for the reply. You moisturize then seal the ends on dry hair and then do you wrap it? My hair is thin and I am trying to come up with a different night time routine instead of just wrapping it. I am seeing more hair come out when I wrap it but I don't want it to dry out either.
I guess that's why I joined because I need a little help!

You're welcome. I use water base moisturizer, so when I apply the moisturizer..... My hair is a little damp. I apply the oil over that, concentrating on my ends. Not much oil, just a few drops. I pull my hair back loose without any ponytail or band, I do it by twisting the hair around like I'm trying to make a bun. I then put a plastic bag at the end, and tie my hair with a satin scarf or bonnet. I know it's kind of hard to picture that, I wish I have pics on how I do it. I will probably show that later. I don't wrap my hair at night.

I seal my ends with Kera Care Essential oils. When I seal or apply any moisturizer on my ends, I twist my hair and apply the product in a spirling motion along the twist. This way I feel like I am really getting the shorter hairs that stick out of the twist that need the conditioning the most.

SerenityBreeze said:
I seal my ends with Kera Care Essential oils. When I seal or apply any moisturizer on my ends, I twist my hair and apply the product in a spirling motion along the twist. This way I feel like I am really getting the shorter hairs that stick out of the twist that need the conditioning the most.

Thanks, I'm going to start doing this!

Last edited:
Back