Scolding from Stylist?

northernbelle

This is what happened.

I went to the JC Penney salon this morning for my regular eight week relaxer touch up. Those of you who have been reading my Hair Journal know that I have made some significant adjustments to the hair routine. Namely, I returned to using Kenra after having given Mizani a try for two years. I also no longer use petroleum and mineral-oil based hair products. I now use a wonderful vitamin-enriched hair oil from Treasured Locks.

Anyway, the stylist commented once again on the stress area at the crown. I've been battling that area for about ten years now. It breaks off, grows back, breaks off, grows back. Anyway, the stylist asked me if I am doing protein treatments at home. I told her yes, I am. She then commented that I may be doing the protein too often. Perhaps I do need to cool it with the Redken Rescue Force. I apply them every third shampoo, even though my hair seems to be responding well to these regular protein treatments. The coiff had gotten into bad shape.

FYI: I have two stylists - one who cuts, and who has also been applying special Redken Shots protein treatments - Stylist #2, and the other who applies the relaxer - Stylist #1.

Stylist #1 insisted that I use Mizani products, since she uses the Mizani relaxer. She said that Mizani is made for "our hair", and it all works together - relaxer and haircare products from the same line. I am currently using the Kenra line. My hair has never felt better. BTW: I used Mizani products for two years, and I wasn't impressed. I also told her I use a hair oil. She asked me what is in it. I told her, jojoba, vitamin E, and other good things. She said that I should bring in the products I am using so she could look at them.

Finally, she insisted that I come in between relaxers and get a Mizani Custom Treatment. I asked her if the salon has a steamer. She said yes. I told her that when I resided in NY state, the JC Penney salon I patronized has a steamer. As long as she puts me under the steamer, I will consider coming in for a Mizani treatment. :) I have been getting periodic Redken shots from the stylist who cuts my hair, and, again, the hair seems to be responding well.

All because of the shorter hair at the crown. Stylist #1 has been looking at that spot since October 2005. Not sure why it is causing her such concern now. I told her that I am doing everything possible at home. I keep my hair and scalp clean. I use a conditioning cap. I apply - albeit perhaps too often - protein treatments. I use quality products. I am no longer using petroleum, mineral oil-based products, and products containing sodium laurel sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate. I take care of my ends. And on and on and on.

Just wanted to share.

Seems like you have a stylist who is as interested in your hair as you are which is a good thing. I hope you get that crown area straightened out in time.:yep:

Or since this stylist has been looking at this same spot since Oct 2005, she might be thinking of a way to cash in. With the suggestion of in between relaxer visits, that's what i sounds like.:perplexed

Or since this stylist has been looking at this same spot since Oct 2005, she might be thinking of a way to cash in. With the suggestion of in between relaxer visits, that's what i sounds like.:perplexed
ITA
Esepcially how you stated that you used it for 2 years and wasnt impressed, and she still insists you come in for a treatment in between visits!:ohwell:

Doesn't sound like she is trying to cash in to me - sounds like she is being challenged professionally to assist a patron on the path to healthy and thriving hair. Ultimately the choice is yours as far as what you want to do with your money and pay for but from all the ladies I have heard from with long hair (BSL or longer) it seems a simple yet regular and consistent routine is what helped them reach great lengths.

Good luck.

As for stylist#1, I disagree with just about everything she said. Sounds like the same old misguided, knee-jerk reaction most folks (including stylists) have. They're good for styling (thus the name) and not haircare. Unless she has BSL relaxed hair I would pretty much ignore her. :ignore:

As for stylist#2, a protein treatment every 3 days sounds excessive. When I first started, protein stopped my hair from breaking off in buckets. What I didn't realize was the breakage would have reduced even more if I had eased up on the protein. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:
I have a Mizani relaxer and I don't use Mizani products at home. I've noticed that other ladies here who relax with Mizani - and have APL or BSL hair - don't use Mizani products other than the relaxer.

It's hard to say whether the Mizani Custom Treatment is really necessary or if your stylist is just trying to cash in. It sounds like the stylist cares about your hair since she asked you to bring your products in, but you never know. I agree that you're probably using protein too often.

Your breakage at the crown sounds like something that a good weekly deep conditioner at home can fix - maybe you should use a different DC or increase the amound of time that you DC?

I was curious as to what a Mizani Custom Treatment is, so I just read this at http://www.mizani-usa.com/?m=39&rid=300:

HOW DOES MIZANI CUSTOM BLEND DIFFER FROM OTHER DEEP CONDITIONERS?
Based on the principle of balance, Mizani Custom Blend is an exclusive, 5 step process that combines the power of personalized analysis, hair and scalp cleansing, scalp massage, and a customized mix of moisture and protein to restore and transform each client's hair to glowing radiant health. Specially formulated with two-way moisturizers and reconstructive proteins, Mizani Custom Blend empowers the stylist to customize an individual treatment for each client using our exclusive diagnosis wheel, advanced cleansing and conditioning products, stylist massage, and appropriate heat sealing techniques. Mizani Custom Blend can be used on all hair types to repair, strengthen and restore hair to balanced radiance.

WHICH CLIENTS CAN USE CUSTOM BLEND?
Custom Blend can be used on all hair types, and is recommended as a maintenance treatment (like a facial for your hair) at least once per month (not on the same day as a relaxer). Custom Blend is appropriate for all clients with: natural hair, chemically processed hair (relaxer, color, permanent wave), thermal styles (press-and-curl, heat styles), bleached/highlighted hair, braids (use treatment before and after), and extensions (use treatment before, during and after). Custom Blend should be used on clients that need a protein/moisture balance and should be used as a treatment.

I appreciate the responses I have received thus far.

Elizabeth - thank you for the info. re: Mizani Custom Blend. It is very informative. And, I use Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, but, perhaps I need a more intensive deep penetrating moisturizing conditioner to alternate with it.

To sareca Re: Stylist # 2: It is every 3 shampoos, and not every three days. Just wanted to reiterate that. But, I am not so sure that at this point my hair needs even that much protein, once a month may be all that is necessary. And, no - Stylist #1 does not have APL or BSL hair. Actually, I believe her hair is barely shoulder length. She wears braids and extensions on and off.

Ladies, like so many of you, I have had my challenges and disappointments with a variety of stylists over the past 19 years. Therefore, I often don't know what or who to believe other than my own gut instincts much of the time. So, yes; I don't take the advice of stylists so readily. I do ask questions, and explain things from my point of view. Re: Stylist #1, I can respect her and her professional expertise, and I do, but, I don't have to accept all that she says or advises.

That being said, when I resided in NYS, I received deep conditioning treatments. Not sure if it was the Mizani Custom Blend or not, but, I know the stylist used Keracare Humetco, and the steamer, and my hair made wonderful progress in the crown area. So, yes, I am ITA with CurleeDST re: the importance and necessity of regular weekly deep conditioning treatments, especially moisturizing treatments.

Last edited:
I would also suggest relaxing around the crown area. My mother in law had a breakage problem in her crown area to the point it was see-thru. Initially she stopped relaxing the crown area and it began to fill in, now she is completely natural and her hair has done a 100% turnaround. The thin area in not even noticable now...

I would also suggest relaxing around the crown area. My mother in law had a breakage problem in her crown area to the point it was see-thru. Initially she stopped relaxing the crown area and it began to fill in, now she is completely natural and her hair has done a 100% turnaround. The thin area in not even noticable now...

I also have a crown area problem and decided to relax around it. After I actually wound up with a lot of breakage at the demarcation line from relaxed to virgin hair. I just relaxed last week and decided to relax the area as well. For my next relaxer, I will not relax that section but I will for the following. Basically alternate relaxing the area and of course treat it with extra special care. For me personally, I found it is not worth it to have it grow out and then break off. :wallbash: I do not ever see going natural so this will have to do.

Back