Scarf Tying Tip?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Random silly question -- is it better to tie the scarf in the front (forehead area) or back (nape area)? Thought I read something that said tying the scarf in the back of head can cause damage to fine strands in nape area. Dunno where I seen this at though.

I've done both in the past and never had any damage. I don't like tying it in the front because I sometimes get a line in my forehead where it was tied. It doesn't last long but I don't like it. You can tie it higher but then its on top of your hair and doesn't feel as secure (to me anyway). You can get a line in the back too if its too tight but this is usually hidden by the way your hair falls or it comes out when you comb it.

I've done both in the past and never had any damage. I don't like tying it in the front because I sometimes get a line in my forehead where it was tied. It doesn't last long but I don't like it. You can tie it higher but then its on top of your hair and doesn't feel as secure (to me anyway). You can get a line in the back too if its too tight but this is usually hidden by the way your hair falls or it comes out when you comb it.
I hate the little indent in my forehead as well. Back works best for me. I was just interested to see what others thought. Thanks!

I hate the little indent in my forehead as well. Back works best for me. I was just interested to see what others thought. Thanks!

I preferred the front. I used cross over in the back and then tie at the front. If you tie a reef knot ("Right over left, left over right...makes a knot both tidy and tight" Girls Scouts holler!!!!
Copyof2cool-vi.gif
), it lies flat and doesn't form a dent.

Now I'm all about plastic so no scarf tying unless we're talking about wearing a headwrap for an outside-the-home venture, which, it so happens, is preceded by plastic. :lol:

I alternate when I wrap because both will drive me crazy eventually; I am a pretty active sleeper, so there's no telling where the knot will end up or even of the wrap will still be on my head in the morning. I suppose eventually I will have to invest in some decent silk scarves instead of the cheapie satins I've got, but for now I'm working with what I got.

I preferred the front. I used cross over in the back and then tie at the front. If you tie a reef knot ("Right over left, left over right...makes a knot both tidy and tight" Girls Scouts holler!!!!
Copyof2cool-vi.gif
), it lies flat and doesn't form a dent

Now I'm all about plastic so no scarf tying unless we're talking about wearing a headwrap for an outside-the-home venture, which, it so happens, is preceded by plastic. :lol:

I wish I knew how to tie this reef knot.... I'll have to google it.
I cross over in the front and tie in the back only to avoid the dent.
Preferrably, I would alternate.

I wish I knew how to tie this reef knot.... I'll have to google it.
I cross over in the front and tie in the back only to avoid the dent.
Preferrably, I would alternate.

A reef knot is also called a square knot. And it really is created as I say, "right over left and under, left over right and under". If you have two ends, the one you're holding with your right hand goes over the one you're holding with your left hand and then under to make a half knot. Now the ends are in opposite hands. So the one of the left now is placed over the one on the right and then taken under.

Here's a pictorial demo: http://www.drabble.me.uk/scouting/knots.pdf

A reef knot is also called a square knot. And it really is created as I say, "right over left and under, left over right and under". If you have two ends, the one you're holding with your right hand goes over the one you're holding with your left hand and then under to make a half knot. Now the ends are in opposite hands. So the one of the left now is placed over the one on the right and then taken under.

Here's a pictorial demo: http://www.drabble.me.uk/scouting/knots.pdf

Well I guess that seems simple enough. I'll try it tonight.
Thanks Nonie!

...I am a pretty active sleeper...
Active sleeper, that's cute. I'm VERY active. I only have cheapie satins from Walmart. Are silk really better?

I've lurked in a few threads that you participated in and I'm learning that you baggy most days and rock a nice headwrap. I see you Ms. Nonie -- :grin: I need to learn how to rock a headwrap. I only use them inside-the-home. If I use it outside-the-home, it's typically under a baseball cap on a rainy day.:rolleyes:

I'mma try this tonight. Thank you, thank you! :yep:

I tie in the back. I haven't had any damage so far. But sometimes I don't wear it at all. I use a silk pillowcase as well. If I am tired, I will roll into bed and not worry about it.

I tie in the back. I haven't had any damage so far. But sometimes I don't wear it at all. I use a silk pillowcase as well. If I am tired, I will roll into bed and not worry about it.
Hey NikkiGirl, I sleep to wild to just lay down...plus I battle acne so going without a scarf is not an option. :nono: I'd look like a bumply face chickenhead by morning. :yep:

I alternate between back and front. No breakage whatsoever.
Cool, thanks Chas.

Back