****save Your Hair****

Limit shampooing to once a month to keep from drying out my hair and scalp.
Limit conditioner to prevent build up.
Do some type of water rinse or clay rinse every 3 days to keep my scalp hydrated.
Use a keratin protein within 3 days of coloring my hair.
Wear simple flat twists styles to protect my ends

Mine:
Drinking more Water
Cleaning up the Diet
Trying to Limit Stress
Taking a Good Vitamin
Stretching (Relaxer)
Using a good Cleansing Conditoner
Regular Steaming/Deep Conditioning
Coffee/Tea Rinsing
Doing Regular Protein Treatments
Moisture/Protein Balance
Using Growth Aides
Sleeping with something on
Limited Heat and/or Manipulation

Deep conditioning
Doing everything myself- self relaxing, plaits, cornrows, flat ironing etc
Wigging especially as i get further into stretching my relaxer
Co washing at least twice a week to maintain moisture
Weekly protein treatments with a protein reconstructor

Take Silica in moderation - boom! Hair growth like crazy.
Sleeping in conditioner (moisturizing hair)
Minimizing heat
Trims when needed
Texlaxing instead of relaxing and stretching relaxers (Use LYE if you want longer lengths - Just my opinion)
Drink water!
Eat green leafy veggies
Take charge of my own hair routine - no one messes up my hair but me! (And no one makes it beautiful but me either)

I have thick, texlaxed, bsl hair. So I would have to say these things worked for me.
Also, I used to be relaxed, ear length with thin, damaged hair. People from the past don't even recognize me, and those new people I meet recognize me by my thick hair (lol)!

Last edited:
If having braids installed (especially at an African Braid Shop) NEVER allow a lighter to be used to burn off the little hairs. That's your hair they are burning off. Same for scissors for clean-up- a big NO-NO! They are giving you a free , unwanted, BAD hair cut!

What are some things you do to save your hair from loss, damage?

I won't wear braid extensions again due to resulting hair loss.

Were you able to pinpoint why you suffered a setback from extended braids?

I suffered a little too the first time but I'm giving it another chance because I *think* I know why I didn't achieve the benefits of extended braids the first time. If the same thing happens again, that's one protective style I'll cross off my list. I self install so the issue wasn't tightness, infact I am so soft handed some of the braids need redoing after a week.

Were you able to pinpoint why you suffered a setback from extended braids?

I suffered a little too the first time but I'm giving it another chance because I *think* I know why I didn't achieve the benefits of extended braids the first time. If the same thing happens again, that's one protective style I'll cross off my list. I self install so the issue wasn't tightness, infact I am so soft handed some of the braids need redoing after a week.
@11228 - yes I know how I incurred the hair loss. Tight braids weren't my problem and I didn't lose edges.

I posted in another thread . Hair on my sides was already fragile and weak. I would get flat cornrows and sew-ins (beehive braiding). Cornrows and weaved hair would loosen and weight of hair would pull on my strands. Also trying to move head while braids/hair under arm. Up-do hairstyles with the braids and weave put further pulling stress on my hair.

Avoid direct heat, “baggying", prolonged silicone use, wearing protective styles beyond two weeks & tools that snag hair.

Cleanse weekly; Chelate with a sulfate shampoo monthly.
Apply protein-rich conditioner every other month.
Always prepoo w/ penetrating oil & deep condition w/heat.
Wear hair off shoulders.
Ensure styles are loose & vary placement of buns/ponytails.
Heavy moisturize & seal ends.
Use oils on hair that provide sun protection e.g. Avocado & Carrot Seed/Queen Anne's Lace oil.
Rotate cleansing methods to avoid build-up.
Get proper amounts of essential vitamins, minerals & other nutrients in diet to prevent loss due to anemia.

i dont know how i managed to keep my hair on my head all these yrs

i was detangling on dry hair omg..losing most of my hair/growth during the detangling process...

i only only onlyyy now detangle on slightly wet hair that is semi-slathered in a bit of conditioner..i am gentle and patient and hair has been thriving

and nexus emergenceee is a staple...if your hair feels damaged..slap some of this bad boy in there let it sit and you will feel the difference :toocool:

If you are experiencing hair loss/thinning due to aging or due to alopecia areata - research the benefit of applying Retin A to the scalp.

Here is a study on using Retin A to treat Alopecia Areata. The study compares using a topical steroid, retin a, dithranol paste (for psoriasis) and white petroleum jelly (as a placebo) on four control groups.

Last edited:
Back