Save me from this HAIR!!!!

Dinkylover

My hair type is 4b. I always find myself cutting my hair all off, and growing it back to the same length. Then it begins to break in certain areas.

The last 4 years I've been permless (but using permanent colors) my hair has remained constantly coarse, brittle and unmanageable.

I've stopped coloring my hair. I use pantene for black hair, mane and tail, and whatever else my mother buys. I don't really have a hair regimen.

It's in that awkward stage, where it's still short but growing in, and I'm lost on hair styles, since it's so coarse and I don't know how to press my hair very well.

I want healthy hair...whatever regimen or products you can suggest for HEALTHY hair...I'll buy and try.
look.gif

Yes, I blow dry my hair (which is a real diaster since it's SO coarse) and I attempt to press it (doesn't press well at all) if I'm desperate. I bought this stuff called KMS- FLAT OUT , it's hot pressing spray...it didn't even help press my hair. I forgot to include- I use paul mitchell mouisturizing conditioner, and it's good, but I KNOW I need more products than just that.
confused.gif

Definitely more moisture.

Paul Mitchell moisturizing shampoo is a good one. You also should get some moisturizing conditioners for your hair. The Suave, VO5, Neutrogena and Dove lines have good moisturizing conditioners to choose from.
A leave-in moisturizer will also be good for the hair. Some people have raved about the Neutrogena shine serum that adds moisture and shine to their hair.

Also, do you still have some parts of your hair that was treated with semi-permanent? Once those ends grow out, your hair would respond better to moisturizing treatments.

For washing, try conditioner washing. Shampoo can be drying for the hair and alot of naturals find that their hair is noticeably softer when they only use conditioner.

Butters and oils are good as daily softeners for hair. I can't say enough about shea butter, avocado butter and mango butter! Their excellent in softening hair when it's dry and coarse from daily stress.

Last but not least, pressing and blowdrying are prime culprits in drying out hair. It can rob all the moisture in hair. Try to use no or low-heat methods when drying your hair. Twistouts, braidouts, twists and rollersets are excellent alternatives to flat-ironing and blowdrying.

Hope this helps!

There's excellent advice here from naturals. There's also a forum dedicated to natural hair: nappturality.com.

Give your new regimen time to work. Trust me, your hair will respond much better and thank you for it!!

Also, check out the albums at that website. There are plenty of styles women use on their natural hair. You might be inspired to try something new!

I love you girl!!!!

I'm going to pick up those products.

What about hot oil treatments...necessary or not ? . Someone told me they really help tame your hair, is that true, if so, can ya'll suggest hot oil treatment brands for me to try.

*walks away thinking* Moisture Moisture ...okay...
cool.gif

No prob!
wink.gif

Some folks do hot oil treatments as a "pre-wash treatment" for their hair. It seems to work well in helping their hair get soft. There are alot of good moisturizing treatments for hair, but don't forget that what you put in your hair at the end of washing helps make it stay soft!

Look into the Neutrogena shine serum, butters and oils for your hair. It's best applied when your hair is wet to seal in moisture.
Check this thread out: Neutrogena Triple Moisture Healing Shine Serum

Also: Natural Hair Survey
..and Naturals what do you use to protect your ends

one more: Naturals... a conditioner that really detangles.

Be sure to be very gentle with your hair. If you can, detangling in the shower with conditioner in your hair under running water is the best way to get rid of tangles.

Also, many naturals use combs that are excellent for detangling (thus saving hair). Look into K-Cutter combs. For styling tools the K-cutter is helpful. Some people rave about Denman (D3) brushes that are easy on the hair. Satin-like scrunchies are also good in that they will not dry and break your hair. Just make sure to not tighten your hair in the same place consistently and not make ponytails or braids too tight that it'll cause tension.

You don't have to break the bank to get healthy hair.
smile.gif

There are plenty of "cheap" products that are raved by many both relaxed and natural. Take your time to browse this site and the other site and see what's best for you.

To answer your question, alot of hot oil treatments work similarly. Hot-Six comes to mind as one, but they all have similar oil blends. It isn't a necessary treatment, but helpful on occasion. Just make sure to do it before washing.

As long as you got your moisture products and condition, you'll be fine. Remember, hair is like a plant, it craves and thrives on getting moisture to its strands.

I agree with the ladies that moisture is so important, in my case my hair gets dry very easily, I spray my hair a few times throughout the day with distilled water mixed with some oils or braid spray. I also use Profectiv breakfree on my ends, that stuff is amazing.

Other things that will help is less manipulation....for me I find wearing braids very low maitenence, or wearing my hair in a puff.

I finally figured out the best time to detangle my natural hair was after I let my conditioners(QP DPR-11 and coconut oil mixed together) sit in my hair for about 1/2 an hour covered with a plastic cap. I used my blowdryer for a couple minutes on low heat. When I took the cap off, my hair was so easy to comb through with my K Cutter. I was so amazed because my hair is usually sooo tangled...I'll be doing this once a week from now on.

These are just a few suggestions based on what's been working for me.
smile.gif

Don't forget to use a clarifying shampoo every now and then too dinky. All those oils and moist conditioners are great but they can buildup.

and if your broke and/or dont wanna go get a bunch of products, or just wanna keep it simple.....

ahhh the wonders of Olive Oil. use as an overnight leave in, use as a leave in period, use with a leave in, use it as a hot oil treatment, use it with conditioners, use it alone, use it on wet hair, use it on dry hair. just use it
smile.gif

The ladies gave great advice. Although I am relaxed, I found that deep conditioning, conditioner washes (not using shampoo, but conditioner instead to wash), and moisturizing everyday helped my hair grow a lot. Welcome!

Do you moisturize your ends??? I just started moisturizing my ends more with a mixture of oils and my hair looks so much better and i feel like my hair is more protected from breakage or shedding
smile.gif

No, I don't moisturize my ends.
Here's my hair background:

I have naturall thick and "big" hair, so my mom started perming it when I was 8. Ive had all kinds of stylist, and whatever they used...they used...we never questioned stylist. At home, we lived by Creame of Nature, although it's never worked for me. I cut my hair all off at 17, and got it permanently colored for the first time. After that-all down hill, because my texture changed and became coarse and brittle. I started using mane n tail, because of breakage...it was alright. I moved onto Pantene for black hair...dried my hair out terribly. Now, I've come here for advice.
smile.gif

Here are some suggestions you may want to try:
Doo Gro Moisturizing Growth Shampoo
Nexxus Therappe Shampoo
Elasta QP Conditioning Shampoo
Surge Power Wash Shampoo
Care Free Curl Conditioning Shampoo
ApHogee Evening Primrose Deep Moisture Shampoo
ApHogee Shampoo for Damaged Hair
Body Shop Brazilian Nut Shampoo

They are all different price ranges, but they do a good job of cleansing without overdrying or build up.

It really depends on the shampoo you use. Some shampoos can be drying for me while others are not. While SLS shampoos do not work for some women, my hair seems perfectly okay with them. The one requirement my shampoo must have is OIL. Without it, the shampoo will strip my hair and cause me awful tangles. There is also the possibility that hard water (from mineral deposits) could dry the hair. On occasion, I also do conditioner washes with ApHogee balancing moisturizer, Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner or Suave Coconut Conditioner.

Lord, this is how one becomes a product junkie huh ?
laugh.gif
. Ya'll can suggest, but I have to buy all this and experiment until I find what works for me.
shocked.gif

Ok, THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!!!

Haha. Well, to prevent the product junkie syndrome, you may want to use smaller bottles or buy your products from the product exchange boards and use each product for a minimum of 30 days consistently. I usually write down the results I got (because I am really neurotic about this sort of thing). Also, keep in mind that several products may be working for you, not just one.

Happy hunting!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dinkylover said:
I thought shampoos were drying ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Try the conditioner washes for your hair if it's still feeling coarse. Also, it's good to have one shampoo (you only need one -- you don't have to buy a few) that you like that is moisturizing.
You could also alternate (~every 2 weeks or less frequently) using shampoo to rid your hair of product buildup. Make sure not to lather too much with shampoo -- just enough to clean your hair.
Shampoo can be drying. It helps to find the one that works for you -- gives you moisture, cleans well and mild enough that it doesn't strip your hair of its natural oils.

Back