Sauna?? Is it damaging to your hair??

PrettyBeautiful

I know this is probably a really dumb question but I was wondering if the sauna was damaging to your hair and does it dry it out because I sat in the sauna today for 10 minutes and when I touched my hair my hair was so hot that I just got up and left. If it is damaging is there anything that I can do to protect it while in the sauna?

Perhaps you could wet your hair and put conditioner in it before you go in?

Also, over here they have two kinds of saunas: dry heat sauna and wet heat sauna. The wet heat sauna is better for the hair, since the air is full of moisture.

I put conditioner in my hair and DC in the sauna at my gym and I guess that one is wet heat like FlowerHair said. It's like being in a giant steamer, and I've never had problems with it damaging my hair.

When I used to go, I made sure it was on my wash days and I enter the sauna with Deep Conditioner in my hair. If you are using a Dry Sauna, make sure your hair is not totally wrung out before slapping on conditioner. It will prevent your hair from being dried out.

Perhaps you could wet your hair and put conditioner in it before you go in?

Also, over here they have two kinds of saunas: dry heat sauna and wet heat sauna. The wet heat sauna is better for the hair, since the air is full of moisture.

I would want to lean towards staying away from dry saunas also

I use the wet heat sauna (steam room) at my gym atleast 2 times per week and my hair loves it. I put on some oyin hair dew before and when I get out I seal with AOHC :yep:

I love a dry sauna. I used to go in with wet hair, though, usually after a swim. So I never had any issues.

Love the steam room, I used to put conditioner and a shower cap on and doze off in there. The dry one I'd leave my hair wet and put some conditioner and shower cap I never last long in there though - made me feel like suffocating.

Back