Satin hair scarf taking my hair out

dejah9

Hey there folks! I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem as well and if there's any advice out there (as I think I've exhausted all options..) Anywho, I relax my hair and in between applications, I wrap my hair at night and tie a satin scarf on my hair. However, along the hair line and the back of my hair where the scarf is tied, my hair falls out. When ever I braid my hair and the scarf is not directly touching my hair, it is fine and my hair starts to grow back. However, when I wrap my hair and the scarf directly touches my hair, it rubs my hair straight out of my head. Does anyone else have this problem and most importantly are there any suggestions?????

Thanks!

I agree with lady...sounds like you may be tying it too tight. Have you tried tying the scarf in the front? Also, I would switch to a silk scarf.

I've thought about that..and I've loosen the scarf..so much so that there are times that I wake up with the scarf on the floor instead of on my head..:wallbash:

I've been trying to tackle this problem as well. What type of scarf are you using? I got two scarves (both from Sallys) that seems to be working a bit better.

One is a large square made of 2 triangles with different feels, one is slick, and one side is soft. The soft side holds you hair, so you dont have to tie the scarf as tight to keep it on. But when I use that one, I make sure the triangle is pulled all the way down in the back, so the 'tails' I tie together dont touch my hair. And instead of tying a knot (sleeping on the knot was taking my hair out), I bring the ends forward and tuck them under the scarf in the front. It doesnt stay as tight, but the scarf is still on in the morning.

The second is a silk bonnet. Instead of the elastic along the edge, it has a band of the same soft material. It fits securely and doesnt rub my hairline.

I'm still working on this, but hopefully this info helps...

I've been trying to tackle this problem as well. What type of scarf are you using? I got two scarves (both from Sallys) that seems to be working a bit better.

One is a large square made of 2 triangles with different feels, one is slick, and one side is soft. The soft side holds you hair, so you dont have to tie the scarf as tight to keep it on. But when I use that one, I make sure the triangle is pulled all the way down in the back, so the 'tails' I tie together dont touch my hair. And instead of tying a knot (sleeping on the knot was taking my hair out), I bring the ends forward and tuck them under the scarf in the front. It doesnt stay as tight, but the scarf is still on in the morning.

The second is a silk bonnet. Instead of the elastic along the edge, it has a band of the same soft material. It fits securely and doesnt rub my hairline.

I'm still working on this, but hopefully this info helps...

I'm using a square satin scarf that I fold into a triangle. Admittedly, I do tie it in a knot and sleep on the knot. I switch between the tying the knot in the front and back. However, wherever the knot is, that's where my hair starts to come out.

I will look into the double textured scarf...I've never seen it, but I will definitely make it a point to look for it. Thanks, Ms. Alainious!!!!

I think you put your scarf on too tight. I've been using a satin scarf for years and I've never had that problem.

Hey there folks! I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem as well and if there's any advice out there (as I think I've exhausted all options..) Anywho, I relax my hair and in between applications, I wrap my hair at night and tie a satin scarf on my hair. However, along the hair line and the back of my hair where the scarf is tied, my hair falls out. When ever I braid my hair and the scarf is not directly touching my hair, it is fine and my hair starts to grow back. However, when I wrap my hair and the scarf directly touches my hair, it rubs my hair straight out of my head. Does anyone else have this problem and most importantly are there any suggestions?????

Thanks!

I have been having the same problem. I think the satin caps I get from Walgreens are too rough for my hair....there is NOTHING silky about them. I think I am switching to a silk scarf and hope it stays tight.

You need to get a longer scarf, one where it can do around your head twice so the knot wont be on you hair. Go to like JoAnns and get a yard by a yard silk fabric and fold it in a triangle. If your scarf is the same size as a regular bandana sp? its to small.

You mentioned that you wrap your hair, could it be the manipulation? You could also try a silk scarf. I make my own. Go to your local fabric store and pick up some 100% fabric, hem the edges and you got yourself a good scarf for cheap. Make sure you hit up the clearance section, you can find amazing deals. HTH :)

I no longer tie my hair because I noticed one day while my hair was in a updo that I had noticeable thinning in a spot in my nape. My nape is where my hair is longest. My nape was always getting caught in the knot from my scarves. In a frenzy, I threw out every scarf and went to sally's and bought a satin pillowcase(best thing ever). Next, I want to purchase satin or silk sheets because sometimes I like to sleep without a pillow.

Lol! We are thinking alike today, I just posted the same thing! I'm going to JoAnns sometime this week, I want to make some silk pillow cases.
You need to get a longer scarf, one where it can do around your head twice so the knot wont be on you hair. Go to like JoAnns and get a yard by a yard silk fabric and fold it in a triangle. If your scarf is the same size as a regular bandana sp? its to small.

i use a satin doo-rag (i notice that some rags aren't satin). i bought a silk scarf, but haven't used it, thinking of returning it. I don't think it will stay on my head all night, or i was thinking of using the scarf w/ a doo-rag over it to secure it.

I have 2 satin pillowcase from Sallys and I made 4 silk head scarf from JoAnns they were on sale 60% off a yard like 2-3 weeks ago.
Lol! We are thinking alike today, I just posted the same thing! I'm going to JoAnns sometime this week, I want to make some silk pillow cases.

i use a satin doo-rag (i notice that some rags aren't satin). i bought a silk scarf, but haven't used it, thinking of returning it. I don't think it will stay on my head all night, or i was thinking of using the scarf w/ a doo-rag over it to secure it.
Not a bad idea for the wild sleppers.

You mentioned that you wrap your hair, could it be the manipulation? You could also try a silk scarf. I make my own. Go to your local fabric store and pick up some 100% fabric, hem the edges and you got yourself a good scarf for cheap. Make sure you hit up the clearance section, you can find amazing deals. HTH :)

I'm about to look in my local sales paper for JoAnn Fabrics and get my silk (I'm excited!!) I don't know why I haven't thought of doing this before! I was wondering where folks were getting those extra long head scarfs..:grin:

I'm about to look in my local sales paper for JoAnn Fabrics and get my silk (I'm excited!!) I don't know why I haven't thought of doing this before! I was wondering where folks were getting those extra long head scarfs..:grin:
The one I bought came from TJMaxx for like $14, if you dont have a sewing machine dont go to JoAnns cause silk material has the stringy ends and will mess up on you, maybe you can take it to an alteration place and have them sew it up for a few buck.

I'm using a square satin scarf that I fold into a triangle. Admittedly, I do tie it in a knot and sleep on the knot. I switch between the tying the knot in the front and back. However, wherever the knot is, that's where my hair starts to come out.

I will look into the double textured scarf...I've never seen it, but I will definitely make it a point to look for it. Thanks, Ms. Alainious!!!!

No problem! I just hope you get a resolution to your situation.

Here are the links to the scarves I mentioned at Sally's...I'm wearing the bonnet now..lol

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Large-Satin-Scarf/SBS-480779,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-04

http://www.sallybeauty.com/Large-Sleep-Bonnet/SBS-480776,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair15-09

I've been using a scarf for years and I firmly believe that's why my edges and the hair above my ears is so thin. I used to tie my scarves really tight so they'd stay on. A week or two ago in another thread it was suggested that I use one of those mesh velcro wraps and then tie a scarf over that. I have been doing this and its worked so far. The mesh wrap holds my hair firmly in place, but its not tight. It doesn't slip at all. And I can tie the scarf around that, or I can wear a bonnet.

also an option for satin or silk sheets if all else fails. I have them because my headscarf seems to come off sometimes magically through the night.

Back