Satin Bonnet Trick

BellaM

As Im about to put my Satin Bonnet on my head, i see a little white tag. Im like "Wtf 100% polyester???" :angry2:
Am i going crazy I know satin and polyester are NOT the same thing...
The packaging it came in said Satin...
This really irritates me...just when I thought I was doing something good for my hair:wallbash:

I think they still help to keep the hair breakage free. I have used the fake satin bonnets for a long time and I don't have breakage. Of course real satin would be better but I don't think it's all bad.

It's okay. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure satin is not a natural fiber. Silk is.
Satin can be made from silk, but it's not a material itself. It's just a kind of weave.
So it's okay, don't be all mad at them!

Satin is a type of weave, not a type of fiber - it means is that it has a glossy surface and a dull back - and most 'satin' items are made from polyester.

Polyester isn't bad for your hair - esp. if it's smooth.

Silk in a satin weave is most likely the very best for hair, but it's expensive. :yep:

It's okay. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure satin is not a natural fiber. Silk is.
Satin can be made from silk, but it's not a material itself. It's just a kind of weave.
So it's okay, don't be all mad at them!

Yep. Satin is the result of a specific weaving technique. You can have satin made from silk, nylon, or polyester.

I actually think polyester is better. It has a slicker texture, which means less friction. Plus, because it's a synthetic fabric, and can melt if touched by high temps which likens it to almost a plastic, you don't have to worry about it absorbing any moisture from your hair.

I looked and mine is polyester too. Oh well, I don't care. I wear it every night and I do not lose hair at all.

do you just put it over your loose hair??? I wrap my hair everynight and I think it might be pulling at my edges, im just wondering if a bonnet might be a better alternative when compared to a wrap????

See you made me go and check my bonnet. It says 100% polyester. Why not just call it a Polyester bonnet on the packaging? I've been using these bonnets for years and I have never thought to check the tag. Oh well, it still protects my hair and I don't have any breakage so I guess it's doing the job.

That makes sense...where can I get a silk bonnet then??

Thanks ladies!!

Wow, I was JUST looking through the threads about this last night. Like some of the ladies said before, satin is not a material, it is a "finish." Silk, cotton, polyester and almost any fabric can be made with a smooth finish and are then called "satin." so you have to always look at the material. There are rough silks too, check out a fabric store, 100% silk that feels rougher than wool. For good priced satin SILK for only $6.80 for 35" by 35"
Scarves http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/2085-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html

Comes in white but can be dyed, they have dyeing packs and they have all types of silk and diff sizes 4 whatever you need, for decent prices. Silk pillow cases too for about $10 (cheapest I've ever seen).
silk charmeuse pillow cases http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml
And you get a free gift (not much, but its FREE) on your first purchase. Like I said, I just read up on all this last night and someone else posted this link and I just got SO excited when I saw this site so I'm here to share.

ETA: wow, I just reread this and I def sound like a pusher. I promise I am not affiliated w/ this company in ANY way. I was just so excited and wanna help ya'll save some money cuz it def helped me.

Last edited:
You don't sound like a pusher to me, Crr. Trust, we know about getting excited about hair stuff! :lol: Thanks for sharing

do you just put it over your loose hair??? I wrap my hair everynight and I think it might be pulling at my edges, im just wondering if a bonnet might be a better alternative when compared to a wrap????

I braid my hair into one big braid and just put the bonnet over, for me it stays on all night..Im not a crazy sleeper. It isnt tight so I think it would be a better alternative...

See you made me go and check my bonnet. It says 100% polyester. Why not just call it a Polyester bonnet on the packaging?

Cuz Polyester doesn't sound as sophisticated as SATIN.

I think it was Larry the Cable Guy who ask why do they call it rump roast and the butcher told him would you eat something named cow's arse.

A name is a name is a name.

Satin is just a fabric weave. You can have polyester, silk or cotton satin. Cotton satin is usually called Sateen.

You can get your silk and satin (the really smooth kind) bonnets and scarves from www.tenderheaded.com. I have their silk scarf. I've used it for a few years.

I typically don't really care for the BSS type satin bonnets because they aren't as smooth. I have one that I use sometimes, but that's because I need to make me an order from Tenderheaded, which I may go do that right now, lol........

Thanks ladies. I never knew that satin is not a material. I remember buying a satin scarf last year and getting home and realizing it said 100% polyester. Talk about angry, lol. You learn something new everyday.

Thanks Kiya, I just ordered two. I'll let you all know how I like them.

I've also used the Goddess Hair Pouch from The Handy Company. I really like it even though it's satin, because it's like a scarf in the front, but the length of the hair is loose in a satin pouch. This would be great if it was made in silk :-D

http://www.thehandyco.com/women.htm

Which 2 did you buy??? I really like how all of the silk bonnets look but they are all different prices, cant make up my mind which one to buy

I bought a couple of these pretty wraps when they were on sale. They're still 25% off http://prettywrap.com/index.php?cPath=22

I like the way they're 100% smooth silk but they'll stay on. Sort of like a silk doo rag with a scarf on top. They're pretty.

Someone else suggested them too on one of the old threads. I love the concept of these and they are pretty. I want these but I can't spend anymore money rt now. :nono: After my baby's here maybe I can make the investment into a couple of these.

Back