Satin bonnet staining pillow??

It~Can~Grow

Ladies - This is my first satin bonnet and it was purchased in black. I noticed last night that I had black-ish smudges on my pillow case :sad:

Then a few hours ago, I scratched my head and brushed up against my hair clip and noticed a black smudge on my finger.

I rubbed it off and thought, "hum, that must be the black in my bonnet rubbing off". So, I thought "am I using too much oil(s) and the chemicals are reacting with the dyes"?

I don't know, so I guess my question(s) are:

1) Are the dyes in the bonnet/hair ornaments harmful to my hair?
2) I'm soaking the bonnet now in the hopes that ALL color is gone when I get home, but has anyone else experienced color transfer with their hair products?

Thank you

Last edited:
No, I've never experienced that before. Hmmm... is your hair wet or very oily as you're laying with the bonnet on? If so, maybe try to put a plastic cap on under your bonnet, or instead of the bonnet.

Yup, but I thought it was supposed to be...:blush: Maybe I'm too heavy handed.

I have eo's in a jar that I oil my scalp with every night. Because it's an oil and not a solid, I can't get my usual 'grease' blob on my fingers, so I was thinking a silk coat was ok...after scalp is oiled I massage in...'spray' on protein and seal ends.

Ahhhh..that is a lot of oil/moisture. I also know that my bonnet is a cheap satin bonnet from the bss, but should that have happened? Matter of fact, my clip is a cheap clip I picked up yesterday at Walmart to switch up the look of the bun.

Wow..can't go cheap is one thing, but can anyone else chime in??

Thanks, MAHoney
No, I've never experienced that before. Hmmm... is your hair wet or very oily as you're laying with the bonnet on? If so, maybe try to put a plastic cap on under your bonnet, or instead of the bonnet.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a satin scrunchie. Someone on the board said she soaked her scrunchie in castor oil so I tried it. The oily dye rubbed off on everything including my white desk. I had stains all over! :tantrum:

I had the same problem with a satin scrunchie. Someone on the board said she soaked her scrunchie in castor oil so I tried it. The oily dye rubbed off on everything including my white desk. I had stains all over! :tantrum:

..and I bought the satin scrunchies from the same place. Darn those asian shops...some little kid is earning 5 cents a day and in turn I'm getting a free dye job all over the place.

Oh, thank you for your feedback.:yep:

Last edited:
Ditto. I've bought scrunchies from CVS, Walmart, Duane Reade, Target, Sally's Beauty Supply...they all bleed when they get oily. I was dating this guy last summer whose sheets, walls, and couch I ruined with the oily scrunchy in my hair before we figured out what was causing the big, black stains.

This happened to me with my last bonnet I purchased for Sally's. I now wash my bonnets before I use them to get rid of any extra dye residue.

Ditto. I've bought scrunchies from CVS, Walmart, Duane Reade, Target, Sally's Beauty Supply...they all bleed when they get oily. I was dating this guy last summer whose sheets, walls, and couch I ruined with the oily scrunchy in my hair before we figured out what was causing the big, black stains.

:lachen:

Whew!! Glad I figured what it was before I put fresh sheets on tonight and ruined them.

Thanks for that, Sonce

Oh yes...I've had this happen many times. I had to wash my last satin scarf several times and add a little ammonia to get the color to stop bleeding. Next scarf will be white and not cheap!:yep:

Back