SamanthaJones Lookin' Back at 2008.....

Lucky's Mom

A look Back @ 2008 challenges and victories
Thanks for a great Year Ladies!!!!

I thought it would be a good to post my victories this year (2008) and what has been working for me. I thought it could help any of you trying to make some healthy changes, or looking back....

This year I went through several attempts to again NOT to do much to my hair…. Keeping it in protective styles, braids, and taking in vitamins and growth aids… The Best thing I did was not use a flat iron for 7 months!!!!

THE CHALLENGES of 2008:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell:
  • The growth aids … Nope…Could not do them. I guess I should have – but I did not. The MoeGrow Juice sounds promising.

• Vitamins…. On going
Wow. This was hard, And it is still hard…. For health reasons and for hair reasons – I need my vitamins. So I need to take the following:

Folic acid
b-complex ( 3 )
Flaxseed (2)
Iron ( 3 Hemaplex and another iron pill )
Vitamin c

I know.:ohwell::ohwell::ohwell: Outrageous! I am Aneeeeeemic, and need this for energy and life!

• Braids from Hell:sad::sad::sad::sad:….. Yep – I got braids that were too small. I did not request small braids – But the idiots who braided my hair – did not listen. That was a take down disaster. So – No more of those. I will be doing my own hair. FOREVER. SCREW the STUPID Braiders. Damn them All to HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yogurt – Was too Drying.. for me…. However, protein benefits are quite excellent.

HAIR VICTORIES of 2008:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Here is what I wanted to share with you, what has worked for ME...

Conditioning:

My 3c/4b/4a ( MAYBE???)hair has continued to thrive under homemade and organic products. I really moved as far away from commercial products as possible, however I still own a few. I am grateful for many of the recipes and tips you ladies have given. I also really know my hair. That is very important to great hair. My hair does not like protein, so heavy protein, is a challenge for me….. I still do light protein treatments, as natural as possible ( Milk, honey and EVOO, or eggs….). However, I have learned that Moisture is my friend. Since I got quite a bit of growth – I will continue down the conditioning path!!!

PRE – POO is STILL queen

I have had the best results this year with prepoos… Hot oils, Milk and honey ( which is protein) and mixing up homemade stuff, etc, has dramatically improved the condition of my hair.. Most times, I pre poo with Protien/ oil/ moisture, then I ALWAYS post poo with moisture. I almost ALWAYS stay under heat for 1 hour with any of my pre poos, unless I have oils on overnight.
Continued benefits:
Fewer Tangles…. A lot fewer after pre poos…
Smooth hair while washing/ combing/twisting…… I can get a small comb, like butter, through my hair.
Hand detangling….
I rarely take my hair out of braids or twists, unless I do so while wet.

The Hair Diaries:
Keeping this diary has transformed my hair. It helped me solidify my regimen, and then helped me to concentrate on victories and small tweaks. What do I write? What I did – "prepoo with blah blah, hair feels like, I rollerset, twisted, etc. etc…."

Leave in Condish and ENDS obsession:
My hair has continued to change due to the fact that the ends have been in protective styles for most of the year. The KNOT Fight continues…….BUT my only hope is the Ends Rubdown…(That is what I call it) I think it has been the leave in conditioning and constant sealing with natural oils/ butters….Coconut, hempseed, avocado, shea butter, etc… what ever I grab from the cabinet…. And Rubbing into ends is helpful.

SHAMPOOING RIGHT:
I have been shampooing in braids or twists for 7 years… since I found www.growafrohairlong.com
I have made a few personal improvements on Robin’s method, but Thank God for her! I just put barettes on the ends for fewer unravels.

I only use a tint bottle to shampoo, for oil rinses, ACV, and Aryuvedic rinses. It helps me get to my scalp and then the rest of the water can go down my hair. This also helps the rinse without taking braids down!
Shampoo: Always Diluted, always oil added.
Oil rinses: Love em!
Rinse & Detangle……… I find that if I detangle and rinse under tepid water on this step, I have fewer to no tangles.

THE WONDER FINAL RINSE:
I final rinse with COLD DISTILLED WATERor COLD TEA. I use a large cup, I dip my twists in the water, then I pour the cup all over, after I turn off the shower. This has COMPLETELY changed my hair in 2008

WEAR A WET T-SHIRT FOR SEXY HAIR
I only dry my hair from excess water with one of my XL men’s Tee Shirts, then I put in my leave ins.

STEAM TREATMENTS!!!

Oh the Joy of Steam…….
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=4769395

Indian Oils and Powders
I used these during the summer whilst in braids…. It was wonderful.CASSIA has been wonderful too!

SABINO Moisture Block

What can I Say? It is a Miracle. yea - I did not look up the post. You will have to do that yourself.:look::look:

Looking Forward to 2009!!! And A DRASTIC Length Update!

Smooches!!! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
I dry my hair with a t-shirt too! It has made a huge difference because it soaks up the water quickly and really well. And, my hair doesn't get caught in the fibers ever. When I used towels I always found lots of coilies stuck in the towel afterwards...it was like the towel fibers just grabbed on to my hair while I was getting the water out.

It's very empowering to know your own hair or better yet your own body.That is what I'm trying to learn about my hair,the do's and don'ts.I have also moved away from the store bought items and i'm trying more natural items.

BTW,that item in the jar looks really good.

Back