SALON VISIT OR DO IT AT HOME?

knottyaaverage

my SO's birthday is coming up this week and my hair's a wreck. i am underprocessed with about .5 inch or more of newgrowth all over. my at home touch was 4 weeks ago and didnt take well. i havent washed since then :blush: because so much hair came out during the touch up rinse that i have been afraid to wash my hair at home and comb out and cause more breakage. ive been oiling my scalp with vatika oil almost every night and spraying my hair with stay so sof afro spray and putting moisturizer or conditoner on my ends. my hair is moisturized and i do scalp massages at night. now it's MOS DEF time to wash. ive been reading the crown and glory wash method for relaxed hair and want to use it to reduce breakage. i can either go to the salon so that my roots will be straight for the big day, but i think the rollerset will make the length look thin....or i could wash at home but im afraid the roots wont be straight enough and that my hair will tangle alot during the wash. im wondering:

- depending on the products and methods used in washing and setting will the amount of hair i loose during the wash be the same whether i go to the salon or do it at home?

- and for the different textures which option do you guys think would be best for my hair?

hi tiffers *waves*

Last edited:
Hey knotty! :wave: :lachen:

I've been thinking about you! Have you decided to do a corrective and/or switch to lye?

Okay, to answer your question.... Since it's a special occasion and you wanna look crute ( :lol: ) I say treat yourself to a salon visit. BUT make sure it's a stylist you trust, don't let them ''trim'' and don't let them be rough with your hair since it's so fragile right now. Take your own heat protectant too, just to be on the safe side.

If the stylist is good (and gentle), you might not lose as much hair. But then again, no one will treat your hair as good as you can. Just make sure you keep that ***** in check, don't trust the enemy :fistshake:

:rofl:

Last edited:
hi tiiiiiiiifffffeeerrssssssss :grin: lol. didnt know if i should send u a message or just go through with this post. so i'm def gonna go through with the lye relaxer, but i got the vatika oil and i mean it has reeeeaallly helped!!!!! my hair is moist, and it's not tangling all the time like it was before. im getting more shed hairs than broken ones. i still do have those two patches in my head :nono: which is horrible, im just self concious about my hair being thin. well i havent washed in 4 WEEKS?!?!? omg i cant believe it's been that long! my hair is doing fine and im surprised. i think its because of the vatika and stay so sof. the stylist that i want to go to is my original dominican stylist who left the salon i went to. i havent had her in 2 years and when i was going to her my hair was the longest and heathiest it has ever been. im going to try and track her down and find out where she's working. she's the only one i will let do my hair. im just embarassed to go to her with these patches, i know she's gonna say "what happened?!?!".....woe is me. any tips for getting the roots straight if i dont find her in time? ive read that pre pooing with vatika makes the roots smoother when you blow them. we'll see.

I hope you find her, a good stylist is HARD to find! One way to get your roots straight is by blowing them out, another is by passing a flatiron over your roots. I've also been reading about French Perm Stabilizer Plus that's sold at Sally's. It's supposed to be the truf for taming newgrowth. Pre-pooing helps to flatten my ng too, but the only oil that's worked for me is Jehan Pre-Shampoo oil from www.shescentit.com Do you know how to rollerset? That's a safer, less damaging way to keep the newgrowth in check. Rollersetting makes my hair SWANG! :grin:

Do you have any friends with pretty hair who love their stylist? You can also try looking at the salon review forum. If you live in a big city, I'm sure there are members who have tried salons in your area :yep:

Last edited:
:grin::grin: ok great! ill look into all these things. ive read about french perm stab. too, but i read there's some dangerous chemical or something in it that shouldnt be used often. can't remember. going to the link to check that out. and will look into the salon review forum, never paid any attention to it :lachen:...silly me

Back