Salon Style Effects at Home

douglala

No matter what I do I cannot get the same results at home from a roller set that I do at the salon. I have went as far as to use the exact same products at home and minic the process to a tee. The only thing that is different is the type of hooded dryer I use. (an at home one instead of a professional one). As my result are hair that is not as smooth and straight and A LOT more breakage (my main concern). Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I've got one word for you: technique.

This is my opinion. You can use the same things that your stylist uses, but the thing is, you aren't your stylist. So, you shouldn't expect that your hair is going to come out the VERY, exact same way that she does it. There is a big difference in her doing your hair, than you doing your own hair. I'm learning this as well. But with practice, you can become perfect at your own style.
smile.gif

Another reason why some home roller sets might not come out as well as the salon may be due to the amount of tension you apply to your hair while rolling it.

I went with BRH to get hair rollerset last Saturday and the gentleman rollersetting her explained the effect of tension, using rollers that give good tension, using end papers and securing the roller.

As he set each piece of BRH's hair, he first put a end paper on the bottom and top of the hair section. Then he slowly pulled it down her soaking wet hair and simultaneously rolled her hair using a good amount of tension. This is an advantage over any at-home roller setter because he was hovering above BRH and could get the right tension on the roller. He also rolls very quickly and told me that as he is pulling the end papers down the hair, the hair is getting smoothed by the end papers and by the time he puts the roller in and secures it with a pin the hair does not even have a chance to wave/curl back up.

He also mentioned that he uses straight pins rather than clip to tightly secure the rollers to her head. All of those element equal a smooth, straight roller set.

I will try to do some of the things he suggest. But I do relalize that I may never be able to create the same amount of tension he does and I don't use the straigh pins very well. They seem to "cut" my hair when I stick them through the roller.

One trick to rollersetting to get it smooth and straight is to make sure the rollers are taught and not loose. Also, you have to comb out each section of hair before you roll it and make sure it is smooth. If the rollers are not put in well your hair will be frizzy and if you do not comb through each section before placing it on the roller your set will not turn out right. One last thing I will point out is to make sure your hair is soaking wet, not just damp, soaking wet.

BTW there are a few threads going about rollersetting that should be of help, also. Keep trying.

HTH

I do not expect it to come out exactly the same. I am most concerned about the extra breakage when I do it myself. I think I am getting the correct amount of tension because I am able to secure the rollers tightly, and I do use end paper on the ends. But combing it after I take the rollers out I get a lot more breakage. My hair is spliting in the middle not from the root. When I get a roller set from the salon and go home and comb it out I get almost no breakage. So my main question is how to stop the breakage. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I think its the dryer too. I have to sit under my bonnet dryer for 2 hours for my rollerset to dry, while at the slaon, 40 minutes does the trick.

[ QUOTE ]
No matter what I do I cannot get the same results at home from a roller set that I do at the salon. I have went as far as to use the exact same products at home and minic the process to a tee. The only thing that is different is the type of hooded dryer I use. (an at home one instead of a professional one). As my result are hair that is not as smooth and straight and A LOT more breakage (my main concern). Any idea what I am doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never been able to work out how salons can produce great rollarsets, in particular the Dominican salons where I get THE best results. Who knows because I've just about given up and I think I do a pretty good rollarset
laugh.gif

Yeah, I dont know what it is with those Dominican salons. The do a great roller set for a great price. I get mine for $10. Just bring my own shampoo.

Back