Salon Shopping; What to look for?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I have a consult with a new salon on tomorrow. Any suggestions for how the consult should go?

Chime in ladies and tell me -- what questions to ask, what should I look for, etc? Are they to play in my hair to provide me with an assessment or is this strictly a talking session only?

This is my first in-person consult EVER. Before lhcf, I just showed up at a new salon, hoping for the best. Not anymore...I want to interview them to ensure we are a good fit for each other.

TIA!

Sounds like a smart idea.
My two cents: I guess you should ask what they "do best", if they're known for "cutting edge styles" and you see a lot of short haired divas, RUN!

I would expect them to touch your hair, after questions are asked to assess your hair. :)

You want to know their stand point on health over style.
Let them know your looking for long term relationship but that I am also paying for a service, it is definitely a difference between having a sensible request and challenging your profession. If I ask you to start my relaxer at the left because it under processed that is something that isn't challenging your profession. Now if I asked you to mix peroxide with my relaxer because I want it done, that is something she can't do. You get me......? I am hard to get sometimes lol.

You basically don't want to feel under minded or under valued. :)

To me every client is a chance at 100 more, word of mouth and personal advertisement is a seller in itself.

Happy Customers make Happy referrals :)

I had three consultations a few months ago. I would definitely expect them to go thru my hair...not all in-depth. But check it out. Unfortunately, that's how I found I had a lot of damage in the crown from underprocessing.

I would discuss your "do's and don'ts" with them. Try to discern their disposition about the do's and don'ts. When they come with, "I'm the professional" attitude, run for the hills.

Don't get me wrong, yes, they have been trained but don't talk down to me like I'm completely clueless.

Idea's for Do's and Don'ts:

Can I bring my own relaxer system? (if you wanted to)
I want the mid-protein step (if you do that step) after my relaxer
How do they apply the relaxer?
Do they comb the new growth?
Comb my hair from the ends up
Can I bring my own tools (seamless combs or sprushes if you have them)
I like to go under the dryer before any heat/blow dryer styling (remove excess water)
How long have they been a stylist?

Last edited:
When I had a consultation they told me abt the salon and what they speciallize in. I also explain the importance of hair care and what I want done to my hair! I also discuss any problems I was having with my hair. They also touched my hair and examine my scalp! This allowed the stylist to tell me which relaxer she thought was best for my hair and what treatments they thought I would need!

HOw much experience do they have with (insert your hair type) hair?
How would you achieve the style I am asking for?
They will probably touch your hair. If they don't, I'd ask how they could assess it without touching it.
Ask them ahead of time if there is a need for a trim and discuss the details of that.
Don't let one drop of water touch your hair until you're 100% satisfied with the answers.
A picture book of clients would be nice as well.

Best wishes!

Sounds like a smart idea.
My two cents: I guess you should ask what they "do best", if they're known for "cutting edge styles" and you see a lot of short haired divas, RUN!

I definitely agree!

Ask the stylist does she have a lot of long haired clients. And make sure you mention your hair goal lengths; pay attention to her reaction / body language.

make sure they listen to YOU! I went to a few salons to shop them and when I tell them Im going transitioning and just want a simple thing such as a wash and blow dry, they say NO and start talking about a texturizer and a cut. Good thing I have a LHCF education because I made it clear that its what I want and not want they want. Again, just make sure they listen to YOU!

also, type their name into some search engines to see what comes up about them.

One more thing, and this is the ONLY thing I DON'T like about my stylist, ask if they double book. She is usually late getting to the shop and/or working on someone else before me. I'm usually the last client and she takes WAY TOO LONG to do and finish me, BUT she really understands my hair health goals, is patient, knowledgeable, and listens to me, so I'm hanging in.

Last year, I tried to be a DIYer and underprocessing and literally missing sections w/in hair strands took me from bsl/nearing mbl to a sl bob. I love the cut, but otherwise woudln't have done it.

Thank you ladies --- great responses. I have several consultations lined up over the next few weeks. The very first question out my mouth will be about stretching relaxers. I found relaxer stretching was a problem for my last salon which is why I'm leaving. She did not support stretching whatsoever and underprocessed my hair twice, caused breakage with ripping through the ng and blamed it all on stretching. I will incorporate your questions as well but stretching is definitely at the top of the list!

Again, thx!

One more thing, and this is the ONLY thing I DON'T like about my stylist, ask if they double book. She is usually late getting to the shop and/or working on someone else before me. I'm usually the last client and she takes WAY TOO LONG to do and finish me, BUT she really understands my hair health goals, is patient, knowledgeable, and listens to me, so I'm hanging in.

Last year, I tried to be a DIYer and underprocessing and literally missing sections w/in hair strands took me from bsl/nearing mbl to a sl bob. I love the cut, but otherwise woudln't have done it.
I really want to go back to being a DIYer but I'm afraid of jacking my hair up. I use to self-relax and overlapped something serious but oddly enough, my hair flourished - don't ask me how. Now that I know better, I'm just not all that comfy venturing back down that DIYer road. I hate double booking with salons, doctors, dentists, etc.

don't make this an opportunity to talk about how horrible your last stylist was, what setback you've had at the "hands" of another, and so on, and so on.

do let your stylist know what your normal hair routine is, and how she will fit in to this routine.

do not use board specific language.

you are not looking for a new friend perse, but the relationship with a stylist does get very friendly or else it is very weird and uncomfortable. If you don't quite clique with the person or there is a significant communication barrier - keep looking.

During your consultation, you should try to determine if the stylist LOVES to do hair, or if it's just a job for them. I don't let anybody touch my hair unless they are as 'obsessed' (slight exaggeration) as I am. I don't let anybody touch my hair if their own hair is jacked up. I know a lot of the times we say "it's just hair", but I don't want my stylist to have that frame of mind. My stylist needs to love hair.

I would also show up in the salon and check the look and feel of the atmosphere and its clients. If you see the stylist ripping through hair with a thin comb or blow drying soaked hair, you may want to explain what you observed and ask that that practice not be performed on your hair. see what reaction you get. If its one of compromise, then you hay be able to work with them.

I recently went through this. The stylist SHOULD want to look at your hair and listen to what you want done up front.

Find out what they enjoy doing. I selected a stylist that did not enjoy actually styling hair, however, she EXCELLED at coloring and cutting with minimal hair (1/8 to 1/4"). So I walked out with a color I LOVE and had an ok style which I was happy with.

Good call on anyone that suggested asking about their booking (double booking, etc.). Might I add, consider trying to catch the person on a snow day. I went on a snow day and got hours on end with this lady who was happy to play around with getting just the right color for my hair because the shop was extra slow that day.

Ask about salon policies about you bringing your own supplies. I literally found one that has no problems with my bringing EVERYTHING including products.

Excellent point MzTease. A stylist has a specialty. They may not want to tell you what it is because they want to be your everything. But "healthy hair" stylist can mean different things. Most will use minimal heat to achieve the style - but not all will be great stylists. ex. every person leaves with the same style.

But some are not good with cuts or color AT ALL. At one point years ago I went to two separate stylists, one for relaxers and another for trims and cuts. I would have switched to the cutter, but she told me up front her specialty was cutting, she didn't do relaxers.

If someone is upfront with you like that, keep them.

Back