Salon Shampoo necessary?

caress

Would you say salon shampoos are better than say drugstore shampoo or bss shampoo? I have felt, for a lon time, I could just buy a cheap but gentle shampoo and thatt would be fine. I don't consider it to be as important a product as conditioner. Now I want to try Nexxus Botanoil or Therappe and Kenra Moisturizing shampoo. Will it be worth it? I could just keep buying Elasta QP Creme conditioning shampoo and clarifying with V05 kiwi & lime. What do you think?

I know most folks will not agree with me, but I think salon shampoos are necessary -- at least for me. I think they are the first link in a quality regime imho.

I personally think Elasta QP Cream Shampoo is a good one-wouldn't really consider it a "drugstore" brand. For clarifying I think drugstore is ok since we follow w/ good conditioners. The main difference is the ph level and quality of ingredients used. This is why drugstore brands are usually cheaper. I've tried Nexxus and liked it, but I found Suave's drugstore version to be just as good

IMO and from my own experiences when I used a drugstore brand such as VO5 shampoo I didn’t know if it was doing anything for my hair. However, when I recently used my samples of Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo I noticed a big difference. Out of all the shampoos that I have used I’ve never noticed shampoo having an affect on my hair like Kenra did. My hair came out silky and straight after using the shampoo and this was for both textures, natural and relaxed. So to answer your questions, yes, IMO drugstore brand shampoos don’t compare to the more expensive shampoos (i.e. Nexxus, Redeken, Kenra, etc) for my hair, but that’s not to say they are useless. I guess it's different for everyone. On the other hand, drugstore conditioners such as Suave can do the job just as the salon type products.

if u think about it, when u catch nexxus or whatever on sale, its only a tiny bit more expensive than drugstore brands. For example, JCPenney has the liter sale where u get the therappe and humecress liter sizes in a pair for $22.

Think about it, thats 33. something oz. Thats like getting over 3 ten ounce bottles of each. Thats under $4 each for a regular size bottle. most drugstore ones cost around that...

but to answer your question, my hair looks and feels a million times better when I started using nexxus and design essentials as opposed to motions,etc. But elasta qp does have some good products...I love the QP recovery lotion.

I don't think it has to necessarily come from a salon. I think a lot of healthfood stores have shampoos that are gentle but also low priced. I buy Nature's Gate shampoo from Trader Joe's for $3.99.

In my experience the only drug store shampoo's i ever had any luck with were cream of nature and motions lavishing and even they both stopped working after a while, especially CON when they came out with the new bottle design its like the formula changed with it and i wasnt getting the same results anymore. I find the salon brands have better quality ingredients and less harsh detergents. I definitely feel a big difference in the way my hair looks and feels. I say if your willing to spend the money try a highly recommended salon brand.

Caress,

I think the Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo is in a class all by itself. This one actually works as well as some of the salon shampoos. However, other than the EQP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair and Breakthru, I would definately say that salon shampoo is necessary. My hair comes out more moisturized and it detangles better and I don't have a lot of build with salon products. HTH

Well I think there are some drug store brands that work really well, but for the most part the saloon brand that I've tried is far superior. Like I used to love Motions lavish a few years ago, and I also love the ION moisturizing poo (and hair masque), but NEXXUS Therappe is just awesome.
smile.gif
, but I would still survive if I could only afford ION.

I think almost salon products are better than drugstore brands. I used to use Pantene, CON, ORS, etc. I thought that they were fine. But then I discovered Kerastase and now drugstore brands are a JOKE to me now. I've heard so many people say that the shampoo doesn't matter as long as you use a good conditioner, but why wouldn't a person want to invest in quality products for both? But, I will always maintain until the end of time that Pantene has the best smelling products around!
smile.gif

I think the key is to check out the ingredients regardless of whether salon, drugstore or natural brands. I prefer salon shampoos (I LOVE LOVE nexxus therappe!) because they generally have superior ingredients and use the mildest detergents AND I buy when they're on sale and stock up. However, I would still checkout the ingredients of any shampoo to make sure. For example, I was shocked to see that aveda shampoos use inferior detergents (aveda's shampure and detox shampoos both have "ammonium lauryl sulfate" which turn me off as I always belived they were a superior brand) and as much as I love suave coconut conditioner, I would not use the shampoo (suave coconut shampoo has both ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium laureth sulfate, probably the harshes detergents out there -- may be good for clarifying occasionally). The "natural" shampoos tend to make my hair dry (aubrey's JAY & blue chamomile both stripped my hair even though they use "natural detergents" like coconut oil soap).

IMO, it boils down to the list of ingredients for the particularly product, regardless of brand.

[ QUOTE ]
Would you say salon shampoos are better than say drugstore shampoo or bss shampoo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not for me. I like Lanza PP and Elucence poo/cond. But the results I usually get from salon products range from "same as drug/health food store product" (Keracare) to "pure-dee grisly" (Nexxus, Redken).
nono.gif

I suppose it depends. At the moment, I am using Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp Care Shampoo. My scalp tends to become very dry, itchy and flaky, and this particular shampoo does an effective job of controlling the problem.

BTW: Head and Shoulders has been re-formulated to perform safely on relaxed hair, as well as on color - treated hair. It cost me about $4.00.

Otherwise, I use the Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo, and/ or the Redken Cleansing Cream, which is a clarifying shampoo.

northernbelle

northernbelle

I think Elasta QP shampoo is probably as good as a salon product - if not better.
smile.gif
Elasta is an excellent line.

yeah I think I was the last person to discover elasta...someone turned me onto the QP recovery and the breakage control serum., then I got a sample of the mango butter which is great too...havent tried the shampoo...well at least not YET...lol

ITA, with Babyblue. Creame of Nature is the only drug store poo that works really well for me.
smile.gif

I personally prefer only certain professional brands. I've had salon shampoo applied at the salon and it's tangled my hair terribly. I normally ask them to use Kera Care Poo if possible. Paul Mitchell poo, even makes my hair dry and tangly.

If and when I go to the salon, I bring my own poo to make it easier, because they always try and do whatever they want to do anyway.
ohwell.gif

Also, I've seen Sally's sell Gallon sized, supposedly Salon Shampoo, for $3.99
shocked.gif
So I can only imagine how "good" that product is.

ITA w/ kitchentician, u cant group all salon products into one category bc they all dont work on our hair. so they arent all superior. A drugstore shampoo that was made for your hair type is better than salon shampoo that isnt. its important to look at the ingredients too...

I'm thinking I may stick with Elasta shampoos. I would think salon lines would be superior to others but after trying a couple from Redken I was left thinking, "What's the big deal? It's only shampoo." I just wasn't wowed though the two shampoos were fine. I think I just have to base my choices on results.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I've seen Sally's sell Gallon sized, supposedly Salon Shampoo, for $3.99 So I can only imagine how "good" that product is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can spit in a bottle and it would be worth more than 3.99 a gallon.
You ladies are smarter than these beauticians. They think any shampoo will do.

Back