sally's sale lady throwing shade?

loshed

I was in Sally's yesterday looking at blow dryers when the sales lady called out to me " jsyk all relaxers are on sale for 2.99!" all nice. Do I look like I need a relaxer? I called out "alrighty!" and kept on looking at blow dryers. Not sure if she was being intentionally malicious or was just ignorant but all I could do was laugh.

your hair is beautiful....maybe she was just informing your of the sale :ohwell:

but dauuum, does it even remotely look like you are relaxed? was she black? maybe she didn't know:perplexed

Last edited:
your hair is beautiful....maybe she was just informing your of the sale :ohwell:

but dauuum, doesn't it even remotely look like you are relaxed? was she black? maybe she didn't know

Thank-you!

She was white and looked to be on the late side of forty so she probably didn't know any better but I'm slow to pick up on when people I don't know are being slick so I'm not a 100% sure.

I got that from this gal at Rite-Aid. I was asking about the Denman brush and she looked at me and said FLAT IRON??? :perplexed with a straight face. I gave her the side eye, looked at her like she was stupid, and said Bruuuuuush real slow.

I have the patience of Job but I will not tolerate disrespect, subliminal or not.

I'm a very nice person and I believe in working things out so that there's no confusion.
So I would've asked her: Are you trying to be funny?

I've noticed that when people are trying to be witty, they usually can't back it up when you "confront" them on it. She likely would not have answered with a yes.

She probably didn't know any better. She saw a black person walk in and thought she was being helpful by informing you about the relaxer sale.

I wouldn't be offended. You are more likely to purchase relaxer than anyone of any other demographic. I don't think she was saying anything about your hair (which is lovely by the way!)

Some of you all are giving this saleswoman too much credit. To the OP: she was being slick.

I got that from this gal at Rite-Aid. I was asking about the Denman brush and she looked at me and said FLAT IRON??? :perplexed with a straight face. I gave her the side eye, looked at her like she was stupid, and said Bruuuuuush real slow.

I have the patience of Job but I will not tolerate disrespect, subliminal or not.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't think she meant anything by it. Even though a lot of white folks might have seen "Good Hair", most of them still have no clue what is going on :lol:

Now if she had been black, I probably would've thought she was trying to imply something.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't think she meant anything by it. Even though a lot of white folks might have seen "Good Hair", most of them still have no clue what is going on :lol:

Now if she had been black, I probably would've thought she was trying to imply something.

I always find it funny when people assume white people are oblivious to social realities. They aint.

No shade it's just her thinking "hey she looks like all the other black girls that come in here, she must want a relaxer". :look::grin: Ignorance more than shade.

She was tryna be slick. These associates at Sally's actually do have some hair knowledge. Just because she is white doesn't give her a pass. All she had to do was hand you a flyer that has all the sale items.

Hahaaa, that durn "power line". We had to call out whatever the deal of the month was to everybody in the store, although I hated doing it because it's so corny and obviously a sales ploy. I usually only did it when my manager was around or remembered.... It made no sense to say that to someone who is obviously natural or white so I 'd use discretion. Honestly if flat irons were on sale, she would've said that or nail polish, or whatever else. Next time you go in listen how they greet everybody else. We're supposed to hand a flyer and say the power line to EVERY custiomer:perplexed

Last edited:
Most people don't really think before they speak, it seems like an automation of BS can fall from anyone's mouth at anytime, so I would think that this was a case of trying to push a product...I mean I'm sure a crack dealer would still sell crack to someone who didn't look like they used it......

but if in fact missy was trying to be funny...it would have been great if you were like Thank you girl, did you get a couple of boxes for yourself? After which she probably would have said I don't use relaxers you could have responded Exactly!

I wish I would keep a relaxer on 45 minutes. I've always like Jackee's hair.

ETA: 1/8 of an inch new growth!? Reason #78 I won't be visiting that salon.

OT but I was never impressed with any of the stylists' work in his salon. They are entertaining but I'm not sure why his shop is so popular.

I vote ignorance and sales tactic OP. Sometimes you can get a feeling in your gut though when people seem oblivious but there's shade hidden underneath, so if you felt it, maybe it was there.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

whats funny about this thread was i was recently talking to my white supervisor about hair. and she has i would say type 2c/3a hair, and she was soo upset because her hair stylist changed salons and she needed a relaxer. i thought maybe she was just using the wrong word, but she was like "you know how that is girl, i need a touch-up, i usually only go every 6 months, but its that time again". i mean, i knew that some caucasions got relaxers, but i honestly had no idea that she got them. she was also the first person to tell me about bkt. i know this is a tangent, but i started wondering how many white women get relaxers when i was reading through this thread.

Back