Safe vs Harmful Accessories for Your Hair

Isis

Since coming to LHCF, I've become more sensitive to the accessories I use. For example, I've learned on this board to use Good Hair Day Pins (which I
love.gif
) instead of bobby pins in my hair since bobby pins can break our hair off. I also stopped using barrettes with metal clasps that are too tight - I have a few pretty ones too.
ohwell.gif

Which hair accessories have you found to be safe for your hair and which ones do you avoid?

I rarely wear my hair up, but when I do I almost always use bobby pins. I use the really big ones that people usually use for rollers. I noticed that the black tips on those are less likely to come off, and they don't seem to "clasp" as tightly as the small ones. The MOMENT I notice the tips coming off, the bobby pin is in the TRASH! With bobby pins, you just need to becareful especially when slipping them out.

My absolute FAVORITE hair clips are the tiny butterfly clips. I use them EVERY time I put my hair up, or if I do twists at the front of my hair. They're SO much better than those horrid rubber bands and hold just as well without ripping your hair out!

They are wonderful plastic pins that are shaped like a long "U" (well, not exactly) and grip the hair safely and hold it in place. I'll see if I can find a picture of them. I usually get a package of them at Sally's for $1.69 and some of the ladies have found it at Walmart.

I use the damage free hosiery ponytail holders now. I won't be without them. I'm also WAY mre conscious of this since joining hair boards. I also use only satin type material on any accessory I use. I still use tiny claw clips though. They haven't caused me any trouble. I use Goody Bobby Pins (the large ones) because the quality is better (even though I miss buying them 3 for a tub of 100) - the ends don't come of as easily and they are easier to remove from the hair as well.

I purchased some Scunci metal free bands a few months ago to use on the ends of my ponytails. I dip them in oil (a tip I learned from you). I like them a lot. I don't lose any hair when taking them out.

ot: Isis...where did you purchase your Good Hair Day Pins? I have looked at Sally's...Big Lots...and a few other places...to no avail.

Edited to say... you sniped me...I will try wal-mart.
smile.gif

The only accessory I use is a small strip of cloth I cut from my satin scarf to secure ponytails or buns. The smooth fabric doesn't cause breakage. When I stop being an el cheapo
laugh.gif
I might order some of the silk ribbons from Tenderheaded.com.

[ QUOTE ]
cocoa2122 said:
What are Good Hair Day pins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a thread on Good Hair Day pins and a picture Allandra posted of them.

Since my last post on this thread, I went to buy some more at Sally's.

[ QUOTE ]
erica78 said:
I purchased some Scunci metal free bands a few months ago to use on the ends of my ponytails. I dip them in oil (a tip I learned from you). I like them a lot. I don't lose any hair when taking them out.

ot: Isis...where did you purchase your Good Hair Day Pins? I have looked at Sally's...Big Lots...and a few other places...to no avail.

Edited to say... you sniped me...I will try wal-mart.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone on this board mentioned Ulta as a place to buy the black ones. I haven't tried there yet.

When I put my hair in bantu knots or mini-puffs, I like to use the tiny black bands that don't break hair - they work great!

I'm really eyeing those beautiful hair sticks Boadicea posted a link about recently. I have a pair of hair sticks that I wore just once in a French Twist. I find hair sticks, including those single sticks, to be very safe for anyone's hair.
smile.gif

Safe:
-Barrettes that you feed the wood or metal stick through.
-Leather and ribbon type head bands
-Hand filed banana clip if they have sharp or raggedy edges

Unsafe:

-Barrettes that the hair gets caught in or the kind with sharp edges.
-Hair bands with metal
-Hair spins if they have sharp ends or blunt ends if not used with caution.
-Anything that the hair can get tangled in.

Thanks Spagirl! I have a couple of those barrettes you feed the metal of wood stick through - they seem to be very safe.
smile.gif

What are "hair spins"?

Hair spins are something like a jewel type accessory. They have a coil botom that you turn into your hair. These have to be use with caution. You have to remember not put them in too deeply and you have to remember the direction you turned them in when you put them in. There is a picture of them in my hair in my hair down folder. There is also a pic of the pkg in the CB smooth products used pic of the same folder.

How beautiful (your hair too, of course!)these hair spins look in your hair! I see what you mean about the coils.

UN-Safe:

Metal bobby pins with decorations: generally, the width with which you can seperate the bottom fromt he top to apply it to your hair is not great, which may cause breakage when putting them in your hair and especially when taking them out.

ANY scrunchie with a metal closure: snags and tears hair.

Hair snaps/buttons: These look like the snaps on some jean jackets or pants. They go on your hair the same way you would snap a button closed. Dents and breaks hair.

Hair/chop sticks: If handled incorrectly, they can tear your hair. Always insert them slowly and add a small amount of cream moisturized or oil to insure slippage.

Hair claws/Lobsters: If inserted roughly, they can cause breakage, thinning, and scalp irritation.

Unsafe and I think off the market now are those head band/chingon holders made by Goodie. They have teeth/claws that seperate your hair and a few years ago everyone wore them as head bands, they're plastic and lock into place. I have no idea of the actual name, I always called it the hair gate, b/c that's what it looked like to me. Anyhoo, they broke my hair off something fierce.
frown.gif

Wonderfully Safe:
Hair Clips/Claws/Lobsters... w/the metal coil contained in the same plastic that comprises the clip. It never catches your hair like the unprotected ones, nor do they break as easily in thick hair. I never understood why some clips that looked basically the same would cost $12 v. $6. But once I bought one I noticed the slight modification and now my SO doesn't have to fish my clip out of my hair to untangle the trapped hair!!!

I didn't know hair sticks could break hair. I'll have to try them with some oil or moisturizer. Thanks Boadicea.

Especially if you're making a tight bun or twist, you may have to use slightly more force to slide the sticks in. And if you're using a delicate stick (like one made of porcupine quills) they may splinter if you use too much force and may tear at your hair.

As long as you're careful, you should have no problems. The moisturizer will help the sticks go in easier and any left-over residue can be wiped off. I wouldn't recommend putting moisturizers on any hair stick that is carved or made of bone or metal, though
smile.gif

I like to have a lot of hair accessories, head bands, sticks, barrettes, claws, scrunchis, etc. If it's cute, I'll buy. The only thing I don't use in my hair are rubber bands. I believe if you carefully put it in and take it out, you won't loose all your hair.

Back