sad to say ... but transition quitter!

sweetsuccess

i cant do it you guys.. my hair neeeeds a relaxer.. its been four months exactly. i think this should be considered a perfect stretch. i cant take the naps. i was thinking of trying the coconut milk concoction first.. to loosen my new growth.. what do yall suggest?! what should i do>? :pullhair: im goin crazy

tia

I know just how you feel... I quit after about 4 months. I felt guilty and bad about it at first, but now I don't. I couldn't take it because I was tired of looking bad and fighting with my naps. I suggest you do what you feel you can handle. Think of it this way, all the people giving advice is not there with you to straighten, detangle, moisturize the kinks for you. Just do what you can handle. If it's to fully transition, fine- if it's to relax, that's fine too. Natural hair is no better or worse than relaxed hair, keep that in mind. Your hair can and will grow in healthy either way. Good luck in choosing which is best for you!:yep:

I understand what you're going through. I was dealing with the same thing last week (my thread was called "I Need Some Encouragement"). I tried the coconut/lime mix and it softened my NG. You should try it or maybe try a protective style like braids or sew-in weaves.

Don't forget to keep your NG moisturized. Good luck.

It's ok. I quit after 6 months although I'm back at it again now, LOL. It's all about what works best for you.

Disclaimer: I am pro-relaxer

Everyone cant handle being au natchel. Dont feel guilty, come back home :yep::yep::yep:.

It's your hair. If you're not ready then you're not ready. You can always start again when you are. :yep:

It's ok. I quit after 6 months although I'm back at it again now, LOL. It's all about what works best for you.

Same here! I transitioned about 5 months the first time, then quit.

OP, if you feel more comfortable relaxing now, do it. When you are ready to be natural, you will know.:yep:

It sounds like you don't want to Quit, more like you want to be talked out of ending the transition. (I know the feeling) You need to let us know what kind of push you are looking for. Do you just need help weighing the pros and cons of continuing to transition?

We can help talk you into ending the transition or help talk you out of it. It's your call.

If you really want to continue, you should go look in the albums of fellow transitioners and naturals.

If you really want to relax, you should stop kicking yourself and feeling bad about changing your mind. It's OK to change your mind.
You thought you wanted one thing but now you've decided that you want something else.

I'd just say don't do it out of frustration. Be sure that you are making the decision that you truly desire.

I'm also on the fence about my transition. Cornrows are helping me through.

It's weird because it seems like my natural hair is weaker & more fragile than the relaxed hair. What's with that? And I don't like looking fuzzy all the time.

I applaud you for coming this far. When I was transitioning, if I'd tried to do it out of braids, I'd have failed by the second month. So that you came this far is praiseworthy. I can understand how you feel giving up. I hate failing at something I start, but it isn't really failure as you've learned something about you and your hair, what doesn't work for you. If you still want to continue this journey and can find a braider who understands hair and who will care for your hair and trim a little as you go, then do so. But if you feel like natural hair just isn't for you and that you will eventually want to relax it after you chop of the relaxed hair, then get your touch up. There are still braid-outs and twist-outs which can give your straight hair a look of having a different texture when you tire of wearing it straight. But there are also role models like Supergirl that can inspire you to continue your journey wearing relaxed hair.

What you're feeling is perfectly normal. I was on the edge until I found a solution for me which was aPhogee Balance Moisturizer and Fantasia IC gel. Until your hair looks good to you I think you're gonna want to go back to what looked to you. It takes nerves of steel and patience but we're here to support you either natural or relaxed.:yep:

How are you wearing your hair during your transition? Are you dealing with it every day or week?

The best way to transition is to not bother your hair at all. Get hairstyles like braids and cornrows. They can be styled in so many different ways you can never get bored. I'm currently 4 mos post and my real hair has been braided w/o extensions since January. I was wearing a wig over my braids as a style. Then I got micros and now I have a sew-in. The only time....I mean the ONLY time I deal with my hair is when I wash it, and then I get it done into another style where I won't have to bother it for at least another month or so. The method is a godsend. Your hair rests from constant manipulation and you retain length!!!

It's all about preference. I am at the salon right now (trying to figure out my blackberry). I am 14 weeks & 1 day post. Last time I went this far was with weave. It is much different dealing with my own hair....but I will keep going to see if I can really handle going fully natural.

Last edited:
You should not feel guilty about relaxing your hair if that's what you want to do. Transition, relax or go natural because you want to, not because of the opinions of the people on this board.

me too, I was transitioning (last relaxer June 2007) but I quit last week. I love when my hair is straight and silky. My natural texture was lovely but it was too much to deal with. If I have to go back to my natural hair, I definetly would but I like my hair relaxed.

i cant do it you guys.. my hair neeeeds a relaxer.. its been four months exactly. i think this should be considered a perfect stretch. i cant take the naps. i was thinking of trying the coconut milk concoction first.. to loosen my new growth.. what do yall suggest?! what should i do>? :pullhair: im goin crazy

tia
I wouldn't bother with the coconut milk concoction.
I would take the advice from Cocoa21 if you feel comfortable wearing cornrows, buns, scarves, wigs etc...don't deal it with it at all...walk around with a spritz bottle and moisturize those babies whenever you can throughout the day.

Also, consider pressing/blowdrying/rollersetting the roots. That's how I grew out my perm. It looks so good, I decided to keep going...

Bottom line, I vote for you to keep on course and achieve whatever goal you had originally set. YOU CAN DO IT!

It's tough. I only got through it the first time because I went and chopped my hair into a short pixie cut. The second time I wore weaves and braids. This time :ohwell: well it's even harder waiting to get these ends off....
I'd suggest a salon visit or protective style to fight off the relaxing feeling..

Back