Sad discovery for me

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

This is a photo of a breakage area I discovered in 2002. About three weeks ago I went to the hairdresser for a relaxer and noticed a nappy spot. It was the same spot from 2002. Apparently that hair has either not grown or broken off again.

The only consistent thing that may be the cause is butterfly clips but everyone else can wear butterfly clips and I don't understand how it could cause the same spot to break off.

I would see a dermatologist but they just address the issue if it is scalp related right? The entire area is covered in hair (that photo looks like that because I am pulling the hair) the hair is just only a quarter of an inch long. I just don't know what could cause one area to continuously have this problem.

Any thoughts that I could suggest to the dermatologist (white). The black one takes 3 months to see because he only sees patients on Tuesday and Thursday.
thespot.jpg

I made the pictures public so I don't see why. Is there anywhere I can post the picture and then link it?

it just keeps saying its currently unavailable. i have mine in yahoo...but i also have a geocities account that is linked to my avatar pic. not sure y it would say that.

Do you put the butterfly clip in the same spot all the time? That can lead to breakage. Do you use a lot of protein products (daily moisturizers, leave-ins, protein conditioner every week...) in your hair? That causes breakage for a lot of people, too.

My mom actually has the same problem in the winter due to te coat "rubbing out" the hair there. I actually think the clips and if you are pulling it tight and then adding on your phony ponies which add more weight and therefore tension can lead to that. Also do you brush it with a hard bristle brush ?

Photo today of the spot:
spot-October26-2002.jpg
Sassy,

I don't use protein conditioners but once a month. I do use the clip in the same spot when I wear twists. I guess I need to stop wearing the twists. :-(

Spot October 2003

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
My mom actually has the same problem in the winter due to te coat "rubbing out" the hair there. I actually think the clips and if you are pulling it tight and then adding on your phony ponies which add more weight and therefore tension can lead to that. Also do you brush it with a hard bristle brush ?

[/ QUOTE ]
__
I do brush with a board bristle but, again, only that side is effected. I guess that's my "soft spot" or something. Oh well . . . I guess I have got to figure out a way to wear it down without it looking ungroomed.

Bettle,

Do you experience this breakage in the colder months.

This could possibly be related to eczema. My younger sister suffers from this type of breakage in the later winter months. I've been giving her evening primrose I'm waiting to see the results.

[ QUOTE ]
SweetNic_JA said:
Bettle,

Do you experience this breakage in the colder months.

This could possibly be related to eczema. My younger sister suffers from this type of breakage in the later winter months. I've been giving her evening primrose I'm waiting to see the results.

[/ QUOTE ]
____
I'm in Alabama and it's just October so I don't think it is considered winter here yet. The first picture is from April and the last picture is from today. I am not sure when the breakage occurred THIS time because I didn't notice it until AFTER my last relaxer. I too thought it could be eczema or psoriasis but don't see how it would just hit in one spot. I have been taking Omega Fatty's this month to try to moisturize my scalp. I plan to go to the dermatologist to see if he has a clue.

Is it possible that even if you think you are moisturizing it good enough that you are not and it is breaking off. My hair looks just like your around the front of my hairline and since my last hair disaster I can't get to grow back consistently. I had gotten it to 4 inches and now it is back to one inch. So for me this really means I have to add stuff to this part of my hair like 8 times a day.

I guess it is possible that I have been missing that part since it is in the very back. I have been turning my head over and drenching the back now in an attempt to keep it moisturized. It's so frustrating to get it to grow and have it just break right back off. :-(

I know another thing I thought off is that could it be that the hairdreser did not rinse the relaxer off/neutralize completely back there.

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I know another thing I thought off is that could it be that the hairdreser did not rinse the relaxer off/neutralize completely back there.

[/ QUOTE ]
___
The area was nappy when I got home that's how I noticed it so either the relaxer didn't "take" or something is wrong with that particular section.

As for the rinsing, the washer went "dang" when I stopped her from conditioning until she rinsed the back again. Since the "spot," I make sure they rinse the area real well.

I'm almost positive it's the butterfly clips. This same thing used to happen to me all of the time. I wore a french roll for about 6 years. There was one place that I always put the bobby pin extra tight to secure my hair and it always broke off to a spot just like the one you've shown. It doesn't seem like there's a problem with your scalp because your new growth looks really dense and healthy, I think that problem is that you're breaking the hair off with the clip. It was a cycle for me. I would wear my french roll for a few months then it would break to a bald spot, I would wear braids for about 3 to 4 months and my hair would grow back and I would do the same thing all over again. My permed hair was already weak, so the pulling from my bobby pin would take off my permed hair leaving me with my new growth in the back of my head. Don't worry, if you pay special attention to this spot it will grow back beautifully. If you must wear the butterfly clip, place it very loosely. I wish you the best of luck.

Bettle, I don't know if you've ever had an injury in that area or not, but when I had my car accident on 11/02/02, I incurred an injury in the back of my head, and all the hair fell out.

It's just now starting to grow back, but the hair surrounding the injury is extremely coarse.

Also, if you are continuing to wear clips, clamps in a certain area, the area can become inflamed, causing the hair to fall out and when that happens, it can take many months if not a year or longer to grow back... if ever.

Could it be possible that it is over processed? My ex-hairdresser had a bad habit of putting relaxer on my edges FIRST. By the time she got the perm on the rest of my hair, the edges would be so over processed that it went back nappy. Or more accurately it looked like my edges had been burned out. When I brought this to her attention and she put the perm around the edges last, and the problem cleared up.

Is the area that is short where the perm is applied first? If so maybe that area the last area to receive the perm. I could be that you have different textures of hair and one section may not require the perm being left on that long.

My hair looked exactly like yours when it was over processed.

It could be combination of several things. But I think it's the clip. I wear a french roll daily and this happened to me once when I would sleep in bobby pins. I don't use them any more and take out my hair pins nightly. I use hair pins during the day and I don't pin my hair tightly.

I have a similar spot and it is where my hair was totally overpermed and overprocessed almost 4 years ago. I have alot of trouble growing hair in that spot because the hair follicles where damaged and as result the hair that grows out of that spot is harder than the rest of my hair; it breaks off very easily.

Back