Roux: Where did I go WRONG?!!!

Course24

Hopefully, someone can supply an explanation as to why this went so wrong (4B/C relaxed):

First, I went to Sally's yesterday picked up B1G1F Roux products:

Roux Moisturizing Shampoo
Roux Moisturizing Conditioner
Roux Moisture Recovery
Roux Mendex

I proceeded to pre-poo my hair w/heat 40mins (to infuse the moisture I felt I was lacking;applied like a relaxer) with:
Roux Moisturing Conditioner
Silk Elements Cholesterol
Right On Moisturizer (extra light)
Honey

I then let my hair cool off, then rinsed out well in shower, my hair felt very stringy,dry, fizzy, & shrunken @ this point so I washed with:
Roux Moisturizing Shampoo

then I used the Roux Moisture Recovery (did soften hair about 50%) for 3-5 mins, detangled & rinsed out. I then thought, ok, maybe I should lower the PH to get my hair back to the softness it usually is, so I used my French Perm Stabilizer,for 3-5 mins. It helped about 10-15% more. I rinsed & got out.

I began to detangle again before blowdrying, & OMG, it was as if I never used ANY moisturizing product in my hair at all! My ends were the worse. They have been in decent shape relatively smooth without alot of issues, but after this you'd thought I totally neglected them, they had an Afro crunchy thing going on. BTW, I did add Salerm 21 leave-in b4 blowdrying along with Chi Infusion.

I wonder if I should re-wash my hair today and do something different, maybe use proteins, it seems that my hair didn't like the moisture thing AT ALL.

Last edited:
Sorry you didn't get good results.

I'm not the one for mixing a lot of products together. It would be hard for me to see where I went wrong if I would have a mixture of so many products.

I would just have used the Roux Shampoo, Porosity Control Corrector & Conditioner, Mendex, and Moisture Recovery in that order.

Bumping for other perspectives/responses...

There are a few explanations for this I think, I'm not sure why either:

Hair didn't need additional moisture
Hair needs more protein before a major moisture treatment
Products weren't used in correct order/way
My hair doesn't like conditioners on dry hair w/ heat.
Maybe should've used a clarifying/chelating shampoo before beginning this process
Or maybe a porosity/PH issue is here

I'd like to determine the issue before my next wash day,so I'm point...

Last edited:
Sorry, it all went so wrong. I also think that you just used too many products period. It seemed like a lot was going on even with the prepoo step.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I was trying to follow why you mixed so much together as a pre-poo. But it seems simplicity is the best approach to pre-poos. Especially with products that are new to your hair.

Perhaps you should try each product separately to see how you like it on your hair first before attempting to mix for a super mix.

I recommend only using one or two Roux products at a time. Roux is better at complementing your other conditioners as opposed to being the only conditioner.

ITA with Lovelylife. There was a lot going on in the bathroom. I would say try one new thing at a time.

I was trying to follow why you mixed so much together as a pre-poo. But it seems simplicity is the best approach to pre-poos. Especially with products that are new to your hair.

Perhaps you should try each product separately to see how you like it on your hair first before attempting to mix for a super mix.

This will be my next approach. Using each item separately. However I've used the Silk Elements Cholesterol & honey concoction many times in the past with stellar results. I guess i thought the Roux Moisturizing Conditioner could only complement that, boy was I wrong.:dork:...However, I may have found with moisture the K.I.S.S. method may be my only way... Thanks for the perspective...

Back