Round brush blow-drying

i dont but (for blowouts) i use a blow dryer with a round brush on the end. i think it would be harder holding the brush and the dryer seperatly. i tried this before but ended up selling them both lol... i need more patience.

hth

I do this, Its kind of hard to explain without me actually showing it. Its hard to get the hang of as well. I've been doing it for 14 years now.
I start from back, take a section and put brush undernesth it. I then turn on dryer and roll brush down with dryer going over it then at the ends I twirl brush a couple of times and hair curls while dryer is drying it. For new growth, I leave section hair laying flat and put brush over it and go down while brush is on top with dryer.

with a plastic bristle brush?:eek:

Why does this sound FRIGHTENING to me?

I could never... the most that I have ever used was a round 90 % natural bristle brush.

I used to use my denman brush too but it wasnt round...I just tried to round brush my hair and I quit after the first section. O well!

Hi Sassy,

As a LHCF sister can I make a suggestion? Ok I am going to anyway...:lol:

I want to say don't do it. It's really damaging on our hair, especially if your hair is relaxed! All that pressure is no good. ACTUALLY, the comb attachment is better, or even a wrap with the hooded dryer.

Well that's my .02.:) But if you don't have the comb by all means go ahead!!

lol..thanks for the suggestion, but I did it. I think my new growth hindered the process, I will not be doin this no more.

Sassyhair! I used to blow out my hair once per week. My former stylist taught me how (G-d rest his wonderful soul). The trick is using great tools. U must have a really good blow dryer- ceramic/ion 1800 watts. Then, u'll need a really good quality large round brush- boar bristle- NOT plastic. The bristles in the boar brush are spaced closer and allow for more even tension on the hair thus making it straighter.

Next, section the hair using clips. Use small sections like 2" by 1", clip up the rest to prevent drying. Also, begin with towel dried hair that has some leave-in conditioner, silicone, and mousse applied through out.

There is a technique to using the brush, u kinda roll it but careful not to tangle it in the length of the hair, so its like an underhanded brush/pull through hair while doing a half twirl. Meanwhile in the other hand u hold the dryer with a nozzle attachment directed down the length of hair on high but only med/hot temp.

Yep, sounds like a magic trick. It took me many tries to master this, and as someone said I had the benefit of watching the stylist. I start from the back and then do one side then the other, top, and front last. Always clip up the wet section to keep it wet, not dripping, but wet. The style won't be as smooth if the hair begins to dry before you start drying.

When I'm done with a section, I roll it on a Caruso roller to keep it neat. Just a plain non-steamed roller. U could also use a loose pony tail holder on the section of hair. Yes, your arms will have had a work out when you r done, but I can give the Dominicans a run for their $$$- that's how smooth I can get the hair!

It takes practce, and so as to not make this seem like its good for the hair- keep in mind that years of blow drying took its toll on my hair, dried it out. For nearly two years now I've been doing the wet to dry flat iron (T3) I love this its faster, easier to use and I don't miss blow drying, doesn't damage my hair. And best yet, my hair has grown. Now in truth, I only flat iron 1x per week, then later in the week I shampoo again and wear it natural. So, that's half of the week flat ironed and half air dried natural with some leave in conditioner.

Last edited:
Wow you gave a great detailed synopsis.

I think the next time I try this will be after watching my stylist while getting a blow-out.

goldensensation said:
with a plastic bristle brush?:eek:

Why does this sound FRIGHTENING to me?

I could never... the most that I have ever used was a round 90 % natural bristle brush.

Oh yeh, I didn't realize she said plastic..lol. I use a natural bristle brush

Don't use plastic bristles. Use 100% boar bristles. They grip the hair tighter and pull out fewer hairs. Also try to find one with a ceramic barrel - it heats up by utilizing the heat from the blow dryer which assists with the drying.

Back