Rollersetting Natural Hair

wyldcurlz

How do rollersets turn out on naturals? I'm trying to get a look like macherieamour's (only because i've recently been in her album). I want long, straight at tope, long, loose wavy curls at the bottom. My fear is that my hair will be puffed out at the roots and sitting off my head instead of falling down.

Anyone know of an album with pics of rollersets on natural hair?

And links on how to do it successfully...I searched the links but it wasn't responding.

thanks!

wyldcurlz said:
How do rollersets turn out on naturals? I'm trying to get a look like macherieamour's (only because i've recently been in her album). I want long, straight at tope, long, loose wavy curls at the bottom. My fear is that my hair will be puffed out at the roots and sitting off my head instead of falling down.

Anyone know of an album with pics of rollersets on natural hair?

And links on how to do it successfully...I searched the links but it wasn't responding.

thanks!

There are several cool techniques for rollersetting natural hair.

AFASHIONSLAVE comes to mind right now. She has step-by-step pics. I believe she sets then blows dry. I've seen ladies do sets, then flat iron. The absolute best is the Dominican Blowout. Webby has some great instructions on a "do-it-yourself" blowout, in her album.

The key is the proper products. Coconut oil and Kenra Heat Styling spray combo gives me and my daughter smooth, shiny and straight hair when flatironing.

Last edited:
I don't have pictures (Sorry :sad: ), but I have rollerset my natural hair many times. I get the best results when I use gel (New Era Aloe Vera Extra Moisturizing Activator gel) and oil after a nice moisturizing conditioner. I make sure to brush each section of hair smooth with the gel so it rolls smoothly.

It does take a long time to dry (1.5 hours - I have very thick 4a hair). It comes out smooth on the ends but the roots are still crinkly. A good technique I use is to flat iron the roots. You can also blow dry them straight if you can get the hair straight enough (I can't - no skills like that).

You have to make sure it dries all the way, otherwise it will revert quicker (and the more product, the more drying time needed). This is the best time of year to do it with cooler temps and lower humidity. Humidity will make it poof up. Understand that it will not be as smooth and silky as a rollerset on relaxed hair no will it last as long, but it's not bad at all. If it doesn't turn out the best the first, you'll get better with practice as you tweek your techniques.

Hope this helps.

Back