Rollersetting disaster! (long)

Okay, I washed and conditioned my hair yesterday. I had the detangler, the wide tooth comb and dozens of magnetic rollers and metal clips. Now my dexterity is nothing to brag about, but I had the worst time ever trying to get my hair rolled correctly! First, my hair was drying too quickly and despite the water sprayer nearby, I couldn't keep it moist enough. I used alot of the NTM ( i think that's what it's called) and even though I liked it (i'll use it again) my hair was sucking it down like coca-cola (okay, that's a Seinfeld refrence lol). I couldn't get my hair parted right so the rollers were in different rows/patterns all over my head. I had about 2 or 3 different roller sizes because i like loose curls on the crown area and tighter curls going down. I'm sure it took me almost an hour to do this hack job. My mom who had been observing this fruitless crusade felt sorry for me and tried to get the rollers in some kind of pattern, but the metal clips were too small for the big rollers and they kept dropping out of my head. :ohwell: We finally got them as straight as we could. I put the hairnet on, pulled out the dryer and MY HEAD WOULDN'T FIT UNDER IT!! :eek: My mom told me that she would remove all the rollers again in the attempt to get me to fit beneath it, but after a half an hour of rolling, re-wetting and searching for renegade hair clips, she threw her hands up and siad, "You just have too much hair"!!! So i brushed all my hair back into a ponytail, put a few rollers in it, sat under the dryer and called it a day. I'm not sure if i'll try rollersetting my hair again or not...i'm going to be suffering post-traumatic stress from this experience for a good while :ohwell:

Ok I'm not laughing at you but with you when you say your head wouldn't fit under the dryer. :lol: I had that same problem when I tried to move up to gray rollers. Boy the swearing I was doing that day! I had to go back down to the purple rollers jsut to be able to fit under the dryer. I have tried and tried to master the metal clips and still I can't get the hang of it so I use the rollers with the snap covers.

The only advice I can give is practice makes perfect. Ya gotta keep at it. Before you know it you'll have it down pat. I usually start with one row down the middle (think mohawk) from front to back and then make two rows on the sides going down towards my ears. Even doing this I just barely make it under the dryer. Don't give up.

Practice makes perfect. i remember years ago I couldn't set two rollers over my head without my arms being so tired and the final result was always a mess. But I kept on keeping on and within a month or two people were asking me how come I could afford a roller set at the salon every single day... (yes they thought it was professionally done)...

I have been rollersetting for years and can never get it quite right. Now I think I can do a good roller set. It takes practice. What helped me was getting the magnetic rollers that come with a piece that snaps on top then I would secure with a metal clip anyway.

My hair has to be wet (it dries fast) and I need WGO so it won't be frizzy. I don't sit under a dryer at home so I airdry my roller sets.

You will get it.

When I rollerset, I usually like to leave my hair dripping wet and apply a small amount of leave-in conditioner on my hair (one that's not sticky and water based).

I started in the front and make a mohawk style part from crown to nape. For the front, I take the purple roller and roll. I keep heading south, but using the gray rollers. My last roller is the purple roller. In total, I have about 7 rollers in a "mohawk style".

On the sides, I comb the hair down and part in the middle. I then take a gray roller and roll the hair closet to the mohawk, the next roller below is gray and the last underneath is purple. The hair closet to hair line, requires only two rollers for me, I use gray on top and purple on bottom. I repeat the exact process on the other side and VOILA, I FIT lol.

lkg4healthyhair said:
I have been rollersetting for years and can never get it quite right. Now I think I can do a good roller set. It takes practice. What helped me was getting the magnetic rollers that come with a piece that snaps on top then I would secure with a metal clip anyway.

My hair has to be wet (it dries fast) and I need WGO so it won't be frizzy. I don't sit under a dryer at home so I airdry my roller sets.

You will get it.

Thanks. I hope you're right. :)

Practice does make perfect when I was doing them twice a week I could do my entire head in yellow in 30 minutes or less. Now it takes me at least 1 hour.

Make sure that hair is really, really wet. If you have trouble with dry ends, spray and then spray some more. The hair should be sticking to the magnetic rollers.

As for the metal clips, there are two types. The ones that tuck in and under the roller and the ones that don't.

The ones that do http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/292505.jpg

The ones that don't
http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/assets/product_images/292503.jpg

If you are using the ones that don't, replace them with the ones that do. Part hair before you begin rolling. Like part your hair into three big sections and clamp with clips. Work on one section at a time using the spray bottle to remoisten as needed. Take your time. Don't try to be to fancy.

Patience and practice. This site is extremely helpful. http://www.geocities.com/qreusgurl/Roller.html

This used to be a diaster for me too when I first came to LHCF. I use rollersets to air dry overnight or under a dryer using a cool setting (my hood is oversized). I learned how to do ponytail rollersets, meaning applying a good leave-in on dripping wet hair, detangling it and making several skinny ponytails on the head first. Then roll up each ponytail taut and smooth. I don't part my hair at all. It's so much easier this way for me and I continue to do this. BTW, I secure the ponytails with Scunci Hair Hosery bands soaked in olive oil - not too tight! I'll see if I can find the link to one of the ladies here who introduced this technique.

Isis said:
This used to be a diaster for me too when I first came to LHCF. I use rollersets to air dry overnight or under a dryer using a cool setting (my hood is oversized). I learned how to do ponytail rollersets, meaning applying a good leave-in on dripping wet hair, detangling it and making several skinny ponytails on the head first. Then roll up each ponytail taut and smooth. I don't part my hair at all. It's so much easier this way for me and I continue to do this. BTW, I secure the ponytails with Scunci Hair Hosery bands soaked in olive oil - not too tight! I'll see if I can find the link to one of the ladies here who introduced this technique.
what a good idea. You all have so many on here.

FashionistaNY said:
When I rollerset, I usually like to leave my hair dripping wet and apply a small amount of leave-in conditioner on my hair (one that's not sticky and water based).

I started in the front and make a mohawk style part from crown to nape. For the front, I take the purple roller and roll. I keep heading south, but using the gray rollers. My last roller is the purple roller. In total, I have about 7 rollers in a "mohawk style".

On the sides, I comb the hair down and part in the middle. I then take a gray roller and roll the hair closet to the mohawk, the next roller below is gray and the last underneath is purple. The hair closet to hair line, requires only two rollers for me, I use gray on top and purple on bottom. I repeat the exact process on the other side and VOILA, I FIT lol.
Exactly what she said, except I use 3 closest to hair line. Also...wanted to add that if you have too much hair on one roller, that will cause the clips to pop out. That may be why your clips wouldn't stay.

One other thing...the rollers don't HAVE to be in any set pattern, because you can always pin-curl afterwards to get the effect you want. It's just important to distribute the hair evenly over the roller itself, to ensure that it dries properly.

Rollersetting is an art that is sooo hard to master. I can respect stylists that know how to do this. I want to learn how to rollerset soooo badly. :confused: I've tried many a times and it's always frizzy, but i am getting alot better though. I started using a small-toothed comb which has helped me get smoother sets. Man, my stylist used sooooo much of the nairobi setting lotion, i swear it was alot of lather on my head, it looked like shampoo, and it came out the perfect shiny curly rollerset. So i don't understand why when i use alot of setting lotin, why my hair ends up being hard. oh well, i'll continue going to the Hair Cuttery to get mines done...

Mizani_Mrs said:
Rollersetting is an art that is sooo hard to master. I can respect stylists that know how to do this. I want to learn how to rollerset soooo badly. :confused: I've tried many a times and it's always frizzy, but i am getting alot better though. I started using a small-toothed comb which has helped me get smoother sets. Man, my stylist used sooooo much of the nairobi setting lotion, i swear it was alot of lather on my head, it looked like shampoo, and it came out the perfect shiny curly rollerset. So i don't understand why when i use alot of setting lotin, why my hair ends up being hard. oh well, i'll continue going to the Hair Cuttery to get mines done...
If your ends are frizzy, it's because your hair has not completely dried. You should be able to do a rollerset with nothing but water and come out with sleek ends.

Back