Rollersets also leave hair brittle...HELPPPPPP

I rollerset for THE SWAG not for curls. In order for my curls to stay, I would have to use some kind of holding spray and I find those to be damaging to my hair because of the alcohol content.

I find that when using leave-ins versus setting lotions, the smaller rollers (1 inch) give a curl that lasts longer, at least a couple of days for me. Im like the other posters...if i use big rollers its just for the SWAG (cute word mahogany :grin:) or to wrap afterwards.

chiprecious said:
I been trying to reduce the direct heat on my hair via rollersetting, however it always leaves my hair brittle. I can comb my hair and snap crackle pop is goes. Also, when I finger comb it instead, I have lots of long strands. SO I tried using Keracare's foam wrap lotion to set with a heat serum...same thing. I've treid WGHO also when I set it...didn't work. Also, if the hair gets dry while setting it, I spritz it with distilled water.

HELP!!! What can I do to possibly get some soft hair from rollersetting???

I would have the same problem when I used to rollerset my hair - either it was somewhat brittle, or it wasn't brittle but my hair would still snap off. It didn't matter what setting lotion I used or whether I dried my hair underneath a dryer or not. Maybe it has something to do with the tension of the rollers.

I strictly blow dry my hair now and for whatever reason my hair doesn't have the same problem and I use the same leave-ins that I used when I rollerset my hair months ago. It's a mystery to me.

vaqtea said:
Okay ladies, I understand that using a leave in instead of the

setting lotion gives softer curls. But what do you use for hold?

If, I dont use setting lotion my curls fall INSTANTLY like

mid-day! :mad: For those of you that use only leave-ins how

long does your rollerset last?
As of recently and since my rollers are large, I've been making pincurls (I start from the ends) after removing my rollers. I leave the pincurls in for an hour or so and I have beautiful, loose and bouncy curls near the end of my hair with a smooth, slightly wavy length. I separate the curls a little with my fingers, fluff out my hair, apply a touch of serum and this lasts all day without any extra product. The curls may drop a little towards the end of the day but it looks even better to me and just as swingy. Lots of compliments too! I was inspired by Balisi's pincurls.:)

Before sleeping, I moisturize the ends and length (if necessary) and make more pincurls (about 8). In the morning, the curls are very nice and bouncy, lasting all day and just about all night, even on day 3 or 4 of washing my hair. I don't use hairspray to hold it. I think the moisture already in my hair is what holds the curls. I sense that if the hair feels dry, once can add a moisturizer and then do the pin curls and they will last longer. :yep:

well i am in the minority, i do use lottabody but i dilute it with an oil like mtg, olive or jojoba. u have to mix the right balance so your hair won't be too hard or too oily, but once i achieved the right mixture, i have not experienced breakage. hth! hhg!

chiprecious said:
HELP!!! What can I do to possibly get some soft hair from rollersetting???

Nexxus Mousse Plus Volumizing Foam Styler Alcohol Free leaves my hair so soft and full of body. I highly recommend this product...

For the ladies who rollerset and then wrap, does this become more difficult the longer you stretch?

I ask because when I rollerset and then wrap it is still not a piece of cake to comb through my hair. I'm not sure if it's not detangled properly or if its not soft enough. I use elucence moisture balance as a leave in and then spritz with water/s-curl/oil to rewet while setting.

seeminglysweet said:
For the ladies who rollerset and then wrap, does this become more difficult the longer you stretch?

I ask because when I rollerset and then wrap it is still not a piece of cake to comb through my hair. I'm not sure if it's not detangled properly or if its not soft enough. I use elucence moisture balance as a leave in and then spritz with water/s-curl/oil to rewet while setting.
Same thing here.

Back