rollerset question

My rollersets are silky and bouncy, but I don't use setting lotion at all...it tends to dry out my hair. I only use my leave-in conditioner (Motions Nourish), serum (Proclaim), oil (extra virgin coconut) and plain water.

Hope this helps.

I don't use any setting lotion either and they also turn out silky and bouncy. My hair doesn't like that alcohol from setting lotions.

I just put in some leave-in conditioner, then some Paul Mitchell foaming Pomade:
* For all hair types
* Creates smooth finished look on all texture of hair.
* Contains activated shine blend of chamomile, henna, rosemary, aloe vera and jojoba

I also "seal" my ends with shea butter pomade before I roll that loc of hair and that's it.

My ends turn out as if they were freshly trimmed (nice and smooth) and my hair is shiny and silky.

If I do need some hold or it's humid or raining, I will sparingly spray some Paul Mitchell Soft Spray. It's very light but works and I can even comb through it without snags should I need too.

What I have started doing about setting lotion is using lottabody with water and oil in a spray bottle. After washing my hair I use my leave in and then spray my hair with the lottabody.

No setting lotion for me either, just Giovanni Direct Leave in and Giovanni Frizz Be Gone (serum)

I use a old school setting lotion, Ultra Sheen...it's blue in color. It reminds me of Dudley's setting lotion but it's half the price and the bottle is huge!:rofl: ...I have seen it on sell at Sally's and it is always 4.99 at the BSS by me. I have to have setting lotion or my curls do not hold and my hair looks very dry. I use this and a little bit of Motions or Elasta foam.

I use a old school setting lotion, Ultra Sheen...it's blue in color. It reminds me of Dudley's setting lotion but it's half the price and the bottle is huge!:rofl: ...I have seen it on sell at Sally's and it is always 4.99 at the BSS by me. I have to have setting lotion or my curls do not hold and my hair looks very dry. I use this and a little bit of Motions or Elasta foam.

Edited. wrong post

I am still on a quest for that PERFECT rollerset. Setting lotion makes my hair dry, so I do not use setting lotions. After trying many different kinds of leave-ins, Giovanni Direct Leave-In had my hair pretty silky, and has been the best leave-in thus far for me. I used Macherie's method of serum, leave-in, and plain water, which had me doing the best rollersets from that point.

But since I am in search of that PERFECT bounce and airy rollerset... just yesterday, I decided to use Lauren450's method of using only oil - sans leave in. I used some Sweet Almond oil that I had laying around, and it had my hair pretty shiny and bouncy (even w/5 months worth of NG!).

I am gonna try her only oil method for a while to compare it to rollersets with leave-ins. My hair is underprocessed, so that has a lot to do with why it doesn't have the desired silkiness I am searching for, but using a "litte bit" of product with just plain water has been best.

My rollersets are silky and bouncy, but I don't use setting lotion at all...it tends to dry out my hair. I only use my leave-in conditioner (Motions Nourish), serum (Proclaim), oil (extra virgin coconut) and plain water.

Hope this helps.

Me too!:yep: I can't use setting lotion it makes my hair so dry. I only use a leave in (Abba Nourishing, Kiehls Coconut and Pathenol or Terax Botanical Leave In) and I will add a little serum (Kiehls or Mizani), and use a little oil like Jojoba or castor oil even (did it for the first time last night and loved the results..but used very little) and plain water in my water bottle to keep hair wet when setting. That's it.

I am still on a quest for that PERFECT rollerset. Setting lotion makes my hair dry, so I do not use setting lotions. After trying many different kinds of leave-ins, Giovanni Direct Leave-In had my hair pretty silky, and has been the best leave-in thus far for me. I used Macherie's method of serum, leave-in, and plain water, which had me doing the best rollersets from that point.

But since I am in search of that PERFECT bounce and airy rollerset... just yesterday, I decided to use Lauren450's method of using only oil - sans leave in. I used some Sweet Almond oil that I had laying around, and it had my hair pretty shiny and bouncy (even w/5 months worth of NG!).

I am gonna try her only oil method for a while to compare it to rollersets with leave-ins. My hair is underprocessed, so that has a lot to do with why it doesn't have the desired silkiness I am searching for, but using a "litte bit" of product with just plain water has been best.

I think water is key! Earlier this summer I just walked out of the shower with soaking wet hair, added my leave-ins and went to work. My hair started drying and one half was set while completely wet while the other half was only damp by the time I got to it. The next day when I took the rollers out, one half was all shiny and silky (the half done while soaking wet) and the other half was dry and frizzy (the half done while only damp). I realized that I didn't use my spray bottle this time around for some reason. Now I always spray during and after my rollersets when I finish using water mixed with my favorite essential oils. :yep:

I hope this helps!

Back