Roller Wrap Pros

ajoyfuljoy

Roller Wrap Professionals Check In!!!

Hey. I have been roller setting my hair and then flat ironing it for about a year. It's real tedious. I've been hearing people talk about roller wrapping here and there and I'd just love to hear from some ladies who are roller wrap pros. Please show your pictures and share tips. Thanks! :grin:

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures but when I was relaxed and wanted a roller wrap she'd roller set my hair first. Then once she took the rollers out she'd wrap it with a paddle brush. Then she'd put one of those mesh wrap things around and it put me back under the dryer for a few minutes. Then she combed it out. It looked more full than a regular wrap and you could see each layer.

When my hair was short, she'd just put 1 or 2 rollers on the top and wrap the rest of the hair around. HTH...

1. I let my hair dry about 95% dry, I like to use Hollywood Casotr Oil in the jar to rub accross my head after I take the rollers out.

2. Not sure how thick or thin your hair is but oil according to your hair.

3. I like to use a paddle brush to start brushing out the curls carefully and then I proceed to wrap my hair in the desired direction of the day.

4. After the wrap is complete you may need to put a little more oil on your hair, but it is all up to you.

5. I use either plastic wrap, plastic cap on my head and sit under the dryer for 15 to 30 minutes. The time depends on how you want your hair to turn out.

This is how I wear my hair almost everday.
I rollerset
remove rollers
apply a tad of serum or USC
using a paddle brush wrap hair
cover with satin scarf
call it a night (you can get under dryer again...I rarely do!)
next day comb..... hair will be straight with a slight bump & lots of body! HTH

I guess I roller wrap also. When I wash on Wed and Sat, I remove the rollers, add my glossing cream to ends and then wrap at night. I'll wear it down for a day or two, depending on the ng then finger comb into bun. I rarely use my curling iron after a roller set.

I'm going to try to use some of your tips so far and I plan to look at the tutorial you mentioned teenie! I tried my first roller wrap today. My hair is VERY thick and I'm a little afraid to take the wrap down! I end up looking like an ice cream cone when I try to wrap my hair :-)

But I felt a little hopeful because the Motions foaming wrap I used helped my hair to have more hold and body than it usually does when I rollerset it. So we'll see!

O.K. I just watched that tutorial and all I have to say is WOW :shocked: Macherieamour's hair is so unbelievably beautiful! I have sl hair (a couple of inches longer in the back) and I will be definitely trying that method. She sold me on it!

ajoyfuljoy said:
O.K. I just watched that tutorial and all I have to say is WOW :shocked: Macherieamour's hair is so unbelievably beautiful! I have sl hair (a couple of inches longer in the back) and I will be definitely trying that method. She sold me on it!

Yea! She sold me too...lol
I got my saran wrap on now....shooot... I hope it turns out as silky fine as hers. This is my first time wrapping my hair at this length I was inspired by her tut she made it look so easy, and it was

Uhhhhh.....Something didnt go right....lol! It was looking all good until I did the saran wrap, thats when my head started sweating and poof goes the roots. was I supposed to do it on cool or something? Macherieamour u might have to help me out on this one....U can't even see my scalp and I have a part :eek: I just wasnt going for the big hair look today, I wanted the sleek. I will say that my hair does revert very easily, so maybe I can never saran wrap, I dont know. Now I dont know if I should blow the roots again or flat iron...But at least I can wrap now :grin: heeeey :wave: Thank you Macherieamour

Hehe- yep with it being summer and all, your body heat was prob pretty high which = sweating,lol.

Just blow dry and flat iron the roots and it should be fine. The rest is silky, right???

Sorry, I should have warned you to sit by a fan or take a breather after sitting under the dryer. I def gets hot under there :lol: I usually sip on some ice cold water and it keeps the sweating at bay:) You can also limit your time- might only need a few mins with the saran wrap (ex. 5-10 mins instead of 15,etc.)

I did the saran treatment after watching the tutorial... LOVED. IT. My hair was shiny, silky, nice and soft and I actually didn't do a roller set first. I wish my hair would fall like that after a wrap, but I am afraid I resemble the Nick Nolte mugshot post wrap. :D

macherieamour said:
Hehe- yep with it being summer and all, your body heat was prob pretty high which = sweating,lol.

Just blow dry and flat iron the roots and it should be fine. The rest is silky, right???

Sorry, I should have warned you to sit by a fan or take a breather after sitting under the dryer. I def gets hot under there :lol: I usually sip on some ice cold water and it keeps the sweating at bay:) You can also limit your time- might only need a few mins with the saran wrap (ex. 5-10 mins instead of 15,etc.)

I love your toturial it is the best...:)

Thanks!!! When I heard teenie's results, I had my finger on the "delete video" button:lol: I was about to do another one from scratch:p

macherieamour said:
Thanks!!! When I heard teenie's results, I had my finger on the "delete video" button:lol: I was about to do another one from scratch:p
Your tutorial is great. I just watched it. Don't change a thing, it's perfect.

I agree!
Thanks for that video (and hair inspiration lol!) ur blog is really nice!
*bookmarking*

Pokahontas said:
Your tutorial is great. I just watched it. Don't change a thing, it's perfect.

I agree. I actually linked to the wrapping tutorial another board that is very caucasian in membership and one of the members said 'I watched that whole thing. Her hair is BEAUTIFUL'.

Coincidntally your wrap technique works great for me, much easier than dividing the hair from ear to ear. I have been throwing my comb across the room. :lachen:

macherieamour said:

Oh no dont do that! Your video is fine, that was just a user error....BTW yes the ends are silky :grin: I'm gonna try it again.

Yes, I loved your tutorial, and I'm definetely going to try it. Today I bought a nice paddle brush, the one you used to wrap your hair - That will def get the itches out of my scalp, lol. The Saran wrap, I wasn't able to find at the supermarket, that's odd cuz I thought they'd have it there -well all types of food wraps. But I will post updates soon, thanks! :)

Pokahontas said:
I rollerset and wrap my hair w/saran wrap. It comes out like I flat ironed it. I don't think I would attempt this in summer though. It would revert before I could get out the door.

Silk wrap.....http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/straight-hair/silk-wrap/

Regular roller wrap w/o saran wrap......http://public.fotki.com/Pokahontas/roller-sets/roller-set-/
Same here. I'd love to do a roller wrap, but the humidity is so high in KC, I'd probably end up with serious poofiness before I ever made it to work.

neenzmj said:
Same here. I'd love to do a roller wrap, but the humidity is so high in KC, I'd probably end up with serious poofiness before I ever made it to work.

I love to do roller wraps too. That is what I do most of the year. But in the summer heat, my rollersets turn into a hot mess as soon as I leave the house. I have been blowdrying and flatironing my hair to keep it smooth/frizz free :ohwell:

I have examples in my fotki, April 2004, this was when i was relaxed bone straight and had no need to flat iron, if you can avoid it, its best for your hair, i would give anything to get back to those days...

Back