Roller setters....When do you oil?

• Thread starter Thread starter Reslnt1
  • Start date Start date
R

Reslnt1

I am having some difficulty figuring out when to oil my scalp. Do I oil while my hair is wet just b 4 i put in my rollers or after my hair has dried? my friend says that oil preior to setting makes the hair hard, but when i set w/o oil my hair is dry and so is my scalp.

Well mizani h2o cream hairdress is a good scalp and hair moisturizing agent to use after a roller set. That's what I use before putting on a serum. The conditioning hairdress is light enough to not weigh down in your hair and will keep it soft.
Good luck :)

I apply oil to each curl after I remove the roller,to give some sheen, I don't apply to the scalp, it usually is not dry,I do apply oil to my damp hair after moisturizing, if I am tying it down for the night, or pincurling, hth

i wash, then put a moisturizor (ORS olive oil for now) and then seal it in with hot six oil, concentrating on the ends, i don't do anything to my scalp. then set and let airdry overnight. if it still feels dry after i take the rollers out, i put more moisturizor in.

After washing my hair is very wet, I put in my leave-ins and seal with oil, then I rollerset. When it is finished, my hair is perfectly moisturized. I don't put anything on my scalp, because I don't believe you need to. I think the natural oils (sebum) that the scalp secretes is enough.

I use to seal my ends before I roll them but as for the scalp I do it before. I always ration that the heat from the dryer will do something beneficial to the oil and thus I am good. For me though its Peppermint oil and my MN mix (when I remember, I am so random). I don't see why it wouldn't work the same for a regular oil though.

I mix a dollop of Salerm 21 with my oil and serum and apply it to my hair before rolling.

Once my hair is dry, I don't apply anything to it. The only time I put anything on my scalp is when I'm doing a hot oil treatment.

CoCoEspresso said:
After washing my hair is very wet, I put in my leave-ins and seal with oil, then I rollerset. When it is finished, my hair is perfectly moisturized. I don't put anything on my scalp, because I don't believe you need to. I think the natural oils (sebum) that the scalp secretes is enough.

I do exactly this. Wet hair, add lacio lacio, use my oil, roll hair. Once done I spray Surge all over.

I don't oil my scalp either. It's been years. Once I learned that it clogged the pores. I apply moisturizer to my ends only.

Reslnt1 said:
I am having some difficulty figuring out when to oil my scalp. Do I oil while my hair is wet just b 4 i put in my rollers or after my hair has dried? my friend says that oil preior to setting makes the hair hard, but when i set w/o oil my hair is dry and so is my scalp.

I apply my oil to the wet hair right before I roll it. This seaks the moisture in. My hair is never hard, it's always bouncy and soft.

lauren450 said:
I apply my oil to the wet hair right before I roll it. This seaks the moisture in. My hair is never hard, it's always bouncy and soft.

Lauren,your hair and your children are beautiful :)...ok back to the topic,I normally put oil (a mixture of Emu, EVOO,Jojoba & Coconut) on my scalp overnight as a pre-poo before going to the salon 4 a rollerset,for some reason my fine 3b/c can't take the oil and the heat mixture,its dries it out to breakage :(...Riddle me this: Do u apply the oil after your leave in to seal? And do u apply it to the ends or the entire length of your hair?

Energist said:
Well mizani h2o cream hairdress is a good scalp and hair moisturizing agent to use after a roller set. That's what I use before putting on a serum. The conditioning hairdress is light enough to not weigh down in your hair and will keep it soft.
Good luck :)

Yep it sure is.:yep: I actually bought this after looking in your fotki. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not weigh my hair down. Its a keeper.:)

When I wash my hair, I rollerset first and then place oil in between the rollers and let the oil soak in overnight. Then I go under the dryer.

thanks energist,
i actually have that in my pj closet. so r u saying that u don't use anything on the scalp til after your set is done?

Back