Roller sets and rod sets....

BrwnSugaBabee

I want to set my hair on rods soon, but i have a question. Can you wet set your hair and just use a sculpting lotion, instead of using gel? Gel tends to break my hair especially that brown stuff with the protein in it. Will sculpting lotion give your set enough hold? I have natural hair that is fine and not really course. TIA :grin:

p.s. how long does a rod set usually last?

I usually set my hair using a setting lotion, I have never used gel to wet set. My rod sets last about a week. I'm transitioning so most of my ends are still relaxed.

I'm 4b natural. The brown stuff is the only thing that I found that holds the set. I mix it with silk elements gel because it is very moisturizing. its a good combination until I find something else. my sets last 4-5 days

BrwnSugaBabee said:
I want to set my hair on rods soon, but i have a question. Can you wet set your hair and just use a sculpting lotion, instead of using gel? Gel tends to break my hair especially that brown stuff with the protein in it. Will sculpting lotion give your set enough hold? I have natural hair that is fine and not really course. TIA :grin:

p.s. how long does a rod set usually last?

BrwnSugaBabee said:
Thank you for your response chocolate:-) What kind of setting lotion do you use?

Pantene relaxed and natural wrap and setting lotion. I spray it on a section of hair and then spray some wonder 8 oil and roll the roller.

Back when I first started I was told that the brown protein gel is really really bad- it definately is drying and made my hair crunchy. I've yet to try roller or rod sets but I heard black n sassy setting cream is good. Can't wait to see the results.

I'm natural and I use fantasia IC sparkle lite gel for my rod sets. I notice it does come out better with the gel. Can all of you who have rod sets that last about 4 days PLEASE tell me what you do to keep them that long. Mine only last a day because of the way I sleep. And it takes too long to do them for it to last only a day. Do you pin curl,curl them again, etc? I usually sleep with a satin bonnet and the next day my hair is a mess.

locabouthair said:
I'm natural and I use fantasia IC sparkle lite gel for my rod sets. I notice it does come out better with the gel. Can all of you who have rod sets that last about 4 days PLEASE tell me what you do to keep them that long. Mine only last a day because of the way I sleep. And it takes too long to do them for it to last only a day. Do you pin curl,curl them again, etc? I usually sleep with a satin bonnet and the next day my hair is a mess.

My rod sets do the same thing. After a night of sleeping with the satin bonnet my hair looks like a giant frizz ball after I try to fluff it out. I tthink the trick is sleeping on your elbows! :lol:

I used gel once to do a rod set and will never do it again! :mad: My hair came out all gooey looking. Since that error, I've always used a setting lotion...particulary Lotta Body setting lotion. In my album I have pictures of my rod sets, straw sets, and a flexi rod set I did on a friend's hair. I used setting lotion every time, and have since discovered that spraying a little hairspray on each section helps it hold longer. For me, my stawsets last on average 2-2 1/2 weeks (my first time around I got it to last 3), and the rod sets last about 3 weeks. I've only let my hair stay in a straw set for 3 weeks because I had school and finals, however, most of the time, come week 2, I wash and deep condition my hair and then put it back into a rod or strawset style.

I either use mango butter mixed with water to rodset or Fantasia IC Hair Polisher Gel. My rodsets generally last about 4 days, 2 days I will wear it down, then the other 2 I usually pull it up into a puff.

Thank ya'll for the responses! I think I am gonna try the black and sassy setting creme, that stuff works well for my snatch back ponytails, so i will give it a try:-) I will def post pics as soon as i get it done well, if it doesnt come out looking like who shot john :lachen:

Back