review of the infiniti by conair ss9 (with a few pics too!)

jasminestar

Hi all :)

I got my SS9 in the mail today! It was a late birthday present from someone near and dear to me, and I was so excited that I couldn't wait to try it out! :yawn: Here is the link on Amazon for anyone that wants to see the iron for themselves: http://www.amazon.com/Infiniti-Conair-SS9-Silver-Straightner/dp/B00132TISE/ref=/ref=cm_cd_f_pb_t

As a minor disclaimer, I'd like to mention that I usually like to wash, DC 2x (once with protein and once with moisture) and airdry before I flat iron, but since I just got it today, I haven't actually done all that yet; I just tried it out on a piece of hair to see how it looked. It might look a lot better once I do all those things and finish my whole head.

My hair is natural, maybe a 3c/4a mix? My curls are definitely looser, and shrink less in the front. The piece of hair I tested the iron on was in the back, which has a tighter curl pattern.

Attached are (hopefully, I'm just getting the hang of posting pictures :o) three pictures- one showing my hair after being brushed with a Denman brush, one showing it after being flat ironed, and a shot of my natural hair next to the flat ironed piece. I thought the shrinkage in the last one was kind of interesting, which is why I included it- it doesn't actually have anything to do with the review :)
Sorry if the picture quality isn't too great- they were taken with my cell phone camera. :sad:

I used the iron on 330 degrees to get it decently straight. It was nowhere near pin straight, but I wasn't really comfortable using the 395 they recommended. Maybe next time.

I'm not the best at flat ironing, when I do my hair it usually ends up dull with absolutely no movement. This time (you might not be able to tell by the pic) my hair was quite a bit shinier, and while it didn't really have 'swang' (I blame my ends) it had much more movement than I'm used to having when I flat iron my hair. When I lifted the straight piece and released it, it fell back down, it didn't stick out when I bent my head, etc. There was absolutely no sizzle, or scorched hair smell.

Since I'm going to be washing it anyway, I decided to spray the straight piece with some water and see how quickly it reverted. My hair normally reverts at the slightest hint of water, so when I lightly misted it with water and got nothing but damp straight hair, I was impressed. When I dipped the piece in water and added a little bit of conditioner, my curls came back without a problem.

My only real problem with the flat iron is the water chamber for the steam. I used the steam function and liked it, but the container for it is really tiny, and I don't foresee being able to flat iron my whole head with the 20 minutes of steam the chamber is supposed to provide. According to the directions, you're not supposed to touch the steam chamber while the flat iron is on, which means in order to refill it, you'd have to turn off the iron, wait for it to cool, refill the chamber, replace the chamber, turn the iron back on and wait for it to heat up again before you can resume straightening. Seems a little tedious.

Overall though, I really like the flat iron, and am excited to try it out on my whole head :)

Attachments

• IMG00480.jpg
    IMG00480.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00481.jpg
    IMG00481.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00482.jpg
    IMG00482.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 15
Back